M1A National Match or Standard

ronc0011

I am going to pick up an M1A I bought through “Gunbroker.com” and it is supposed to be a National Match model.

Is there a way to distinguish between the two models. Is there some factory marking or serial number that identifies one from the other. National Match or Standard.

FS2K

A "Match" M1A is actually an "accurized" M1A

As far as I know (which isn't much I admit) "Match" guns (like the M1 Garand, M1A, and AR15) are guns that have had work done to them to make them more accurate in standard form. (Iron sights, OEM stocks etc.)

With this in mind, I don't think you will find any "factory" marking on your gun stating that it is a "Match" model unless Spingfield has started to mark them recently.

A bedded stock is a dead givaway for a Match gun, at least it is one of the more obvious modifications. Other mods include: air gauged national match medium weight barrel, custom match grade recoil spring guide, national match gas system assembly, national match front sight, national match hooded rear sight assembly, national match trigger assembly and flash suppressor.

Hope helped.

tINY

There is a NM non-hooded rear sight as well. Unitized gas systems and rear-lugged receivers are also out there...

Quickest check is to look at the barrel under the plastic handguard. The Springfield "match" rifles have heavier barrels and under the handguard is where you see it.

If you are a serious accuracy tweek, better surf on over to http://www.fulton-armory.com and read a bit..... There is much that can be done.

-tINY

ronc0011

Hmmm… OK so is there anything that stands out about a glass bedded barrel / stock?

I guess what I’m looking for is something that is apparent to the casual observer that would indicate whether it is a Standard or National Match.

4EVERM-14

The quickest thing I can think of is to turn the rifle over and look into the magezine well. If the metal stock liner is epoxy bedded in place then most likely it's a match grade gun. There may also be a thin line of epoxy visible[either brown or silver color] where the reciever and the stock mate.

tINY

You can see the heavier barrel without actually removing the handguard. If you pick it up and sight it, the small aperature is pretty obvious too.

-tINY

30Cal

The bedding should be obvious around the footprint of the receiver.

The "Loaded" model has a match barrel on it too. It's not a match rifle though.

Ty

tINY

What's the distinction, then? I think there have been various "match" M1a rifles over the years....

-tINY

FS2K

I think the difference is...

Springfield Armory has their version of a "Match Grade M1A" while there are allot of gunsmiths and producers of specialized weapons that accurize/match grade M1A rifles as well.

As long as the gun is modified for competition use I suppose it could be considered a "Match Grade".

One or two Match Grade components on an M1A doesn't make it a Match rifle I guess.

30Cal

One or two Match Grade components on an M1A doesn't make it a Match rifle I guess.

Exactly. A match grade rifle is one that shoots consistantly well all day long. When we're looking at the M14, most of that consistancy comes from careful selection of parts for fit, glass bedding and other gunsmithing labor. Most of the so-called "National Match" parts are icing, made to better suit the rifle for precision work on Highpower targets and don't necessarily add much if anything to the basic accuracy of the rifle.

Even the standard profile barrel will shoot very well if you tighten up the rest of the rifle. By the same means, a sticking a match grade barrel into a standard one-size-fits-all stock isn't going to shoot up to it's full potential. Bedding is the foundation of accuracy and consistancy.

Ty

ronc0011

Actually what I was looking for is related to Springfield Amory’s M1A National Match rifle. The product that they sell as opposed to their “Standard” version. The two things that seem to offer the most promise are the rear mounting bolt if that is in fact visible and maybe the smaller aperture on the rear site. My purpose her is to be able to tell when I go to pick up this rifle whether of not it is in fact a “National Match” model. I’m picking it up Saturday.

By the way I did find some very good stuff on the M14 / M1A.

http://experts.about.com/q/Guns-Firearms-Projectile-1501/m14-m1a-bayonet.htm

30Cal

The two things that seem to offer the most promise are the rear mounting bolt if that is in fact visible and maybe the smaller aperture on the rear site.

The rear lug is a feature on the Supermatch model, not the National Match. You can kind of tell if it's there if you know what to look for. The lug adds surface area to make the bedding last longer.

A rear lug is the block that hangs down from the back of the receiver.
rearrcvr02.jpg

The features that would I.D a NM rifle that I would look for would be the bedding epoxy around the sides and rear of the receiver and up in the mag well, a unitized gas system, and some flavor of NM sights front and rear.

A "unitized gas system" is a gas cylinder that is screwed or welded onto the barrel band. If it's screwed together, the spindle valve on the gas cylinder will be fixed in position. You won't be able to see the screws, but if it's welded, that may be apparent from the exterior. Squeeze the barrel and stock forend together and see if the barrel band has any movement--it should not.

Here's a barrel band that's been screwed (and dirty after 1000rds).
DSCN5428.JPG

A USGI NM rear sight will be marked "NM/2" on the sight base. However, SA Inc typically uses an "AMU style NM sight" which won't be marked. However, you ought to be able to see a ball bearing under the windage knob at the bottom edge if you look closely. It should have a hooded rear aperature which will give you 1/2MoA elevation adjustments by rotating the hood 180º. The front sight will be marked "NM" along with the width of the blade.

Ty