m1a = m14?

hawken50

can somebody tell me the diffrence between an m1a and m14? features, cost, anything else? i often see them used interchangeablly. thanks.

Limeyfellow

The m1a is a semi automatic rifle based on the design of the m14. The reciever is specially made to only fire semi automatic on the m1a. It has quite a few similarities to the garand. This and other changes makes it pretty much impossible to convert an m1a into an m14. Other parts are more like the Garand too than the m14. The m1a also does not have the contour on the stock to have a selector switch for full automatic like the m14 does but then again it doesn't need one.

Many people have pointed out that the m1a is quite a bit more accurate than the m14 and the reciever is much better constructed of thicker milled material than than original. They are nice rifles.

ocabj

"M1A" is a registered trademark of Springfield Armory, Inc. SA Inc is the only company that makes "M1A" rifles.

Other companies make civilian versions of the M14, such as Fulton Armory and LRB Arms.

Gewehr98

More specifically...

The M1A is a copyrighted and registered trade name of Springfield Armory, Incorporated, out of Geneseo, Illinois. It's what they call their own semi-auto version of the U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62mm, M14. The term M1A, since it is copyrighted, cannot be used by other manufacturers of semi-auto M14 copies, although it's commonly used to describe them, much like Xerox is used to describe copiers made by other manufacturers. Other semi-auto copies of the USGI M14 rifle include the Armscorp M14NM and LRB M14SA rifles. ;)

ClarkEMyers

Then again you're not going to buy an M14 in this country

Many people say M14 just as they say AK-47 when they mean modified copy or modified clone or knock-off or imitation or even superior for the given purpose to the original but using the proper nomenclature is too much trouble.

It is commonly said that no M14's were ever released for private sale. There may be exceptions but I don't know any. As a full auto receiver even a match version would pretty much have to have been registered long ago to be transferred today. There are agencies who have had full auto firearms as agencies but never registered them and so cannot transfer them for other than official use - some such have been sold without the receiver as parts kits. Might find an M14 abroad (try waving dollars in Vietnam?) but reimporting one would be as impossible as buying a Garand in Canada and bringing it home.

impact

I think there is only 8 fa M-14s in this country that can be had. I saw two for sale at I think $45.000 each.

Limeyfellow

The sad thing is that tens of thousands of m14s, even some never fired were cut up for scrap because they wouldn't sell them as they could be converted to full automatic so easily. It be interesting to see what happens in two years when m14s start hitting the magical 50 years old.

horseshoe3

quote: It be interesting to see what happens in two years when m14s start hitting the magical 50 years old.

Whatcha thinkin? The army might start to surplus the parts since the weapon is over 50? :cool: Or something much more bland, like public intrest picks up and drives the prices up even higher on the parts we can get? :mad:

Limeyfellow

The parts and rifles are then of the age for curio and relics. I hope it brings down some of the prices for stuff, even though there is no way we are going to get the m14 reciever and a few other parts. Such would terrify the people in charge.