M1A Help

TaxPhd

Am interested in an M1A, and I hope some of you knowledgable folks can help me out. I am only interested in SA commercial rifles (I think, but I would like to hear pros/cons), no Norinco/Chinese, etc.

1) What are the differences in the various grades (Standard, National Match, etc.) and which of these differences are worth having versus being nice to have?

2) Any good sources (i.e., cheap) for these rifles, internet or otherwise?

3) How much of a difference, performance wise would I expect between the standard rifle and the top of the line?

4) If I were looking for a top of the line rifle, would I be better off buying a SA National Match, or a standard rife and having it worked over by someplace like Fulton Armory?

I have been to the Fulton Armory web site, but I couldn't really find the innfo. that I was looking for.

Thanks for your help!

hope this helps

TaxPHD,

1) What are the differences in the various grades (Standard, National Match, etc.) and which of these differences are worth having versus being nice to have?

http://www.springfield-armory.com
Best place to receive answers on this topic is from Springfield themselves.

2) Any good sources (i.e., cheap) for these rifles, internet or otherwise?

http://www.jcarmory.com
I haven't done business with Greg Monte, but he is highly praised on http://www.ar15.com. His M1A prices seem to be the best around.

3) How much of a difference, performance wise would I expect between the standard rifle and the top of the line?

I couldn't answer this one for you, but I'm going to @ss-ume that the top of the line is capable of MOA or better.

4) If I were looking for a top of the line rifle, would I be better off buying a SA National Match, or a standard rife and having it worked over by someplace like Fulton Armory?

TaxPhd, if you were planning on Clint McKee at Fulton to build you a rifle, how about purchasing a receiver from jcarmory and sending it to him? In the long run, it'll be much cheaper than buying a complete standard rifle and then having Fulton redo the entire firearm. The downside is that I'd figure that there would be a very long turn-around time.

On the other hand, if you purchase a SA NM rifle, then you should be ready to roll right out of the box. The M1As have been reknowned for their reliability and decent accuracy. I have a stainless "loaded" myself, and although it's been reliable thus far (Christmas present to myself) the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Right now I'm pushing 2.5-3 MOA. I'm afraid that the shop from which I purchased the rifle from installed the CA muzzle brake incorrectly. Upon further inspection during cleaning, I noticed some copper streaks in the 3 O'clock position in my break. I'm hoping that once this is remedied, my groups will be brought down a tad. If not, then it'll be even more difficult to fix what I dread, operator error :(

I'm fairly new to the M1A game, but my recommendation would be to pick up a SA NM or even downgrade a little to their "loaded" package and go from there. Solid rifle that is well made. If you go the SA route, check the components to rule out which are cast and which aren't.

For more information check out this site:
http://www.gunandknife.com/cgi-bin/boards1/m1aconfig.pl

Off topic, but would you happen to know of anyone that is selling the fake Flash Suppressors that are commonly found on the Polytech/Norinco M14s? I absolutely CANNOT stand the muzzle-brake and would rather have a fake flash suppressor than what is currently hanging off the muzzle of my rifle.

I know this didn't help,
Jim

Rokchukrslave

If I were to pick up an M1A for competition, I would go for the Supermatch. With this rifle you get all the NM wiz-bangs plus a decent heavy barrel and a rear lugged reciever. Master this rifle as is and then work from there.
If you just want something to go shoot up the tree's with then a standard M1A and a synthetic or wood stock will do you fine.
Personally I started with a NM M1A and had an Obermeyer 5R put on it with some other high end parts. It shot well but if I had to do it over I would have just bought the Supermatch.

Steve Smith

As of yet, I have not been able to really wring out my M1A Loaded. I think it will turn out some good groups, but I cant' say for sure. Many folks have reported the Loaded models shooting very well. As for the difference between the Std and Super Match in accuracy, I'm absolutely sure that there are quite a few std models shooting under 1" however, the chances of getting a SM that shoots under an inch are much better. I know several folks who do very well in DCM or NRA Highpower matches with M1As that won't shoot sub-1". Top accuracy may be more important in a scoped competition.

echo3mike

Duke of Lawnchair

I'ld strongly recomend that you investigate the situation with your muzzle brake further. I know, (from Duff's book), that copper streaking on the standard flash suppressor means that it's probably out of alignment with the barrel. This will obviously have a detrimental effect on accuracy.

Since this problem will not go away by itself, he suggests reaming the flash suppressor on a lathe. This approach may work on the Kali legal muzzle brake. I'm not really familiar with them though.

You may want to give Clint a ring, or put this topic up on m1-m14@egroups.com
Lots of folks, (incl. Walt Kuleck), that know a thing or two about M14's.

Regards,
S.

[Edited by echo3mike on 01-17-2001 at 09:30 AM]

Rob01

Tax if you're interested I have a Natrional Match for sale. Below is my ad I'm running. Drop me a line if you want to talk.

For sale: Springfield Armory National Match M1A rifle, almost like new condition with the box and all paperwork that came with the rifle. NOT a "Loaded" version but an actual National Match that offers incredible competition performance with features such as air gauged national match medium weight barrel, custom match grade op-rod and recoil spring guides, national match gas system assembly, national match front sight, national match hooded rear sight assembly, national match trigger assembly and flash suppressor. Custom glass bedded in a match grade American walnut stock. Rifle has been fired about 3 occasions with a total of about 60 rounds. At 200 yards I was able to put 3 rounds into a 1 3/4" group so you can tell the rifle is accurate. I purchased just the rifle last year for about $1725. I haven't seen them around now for less than $1850 and Springfield lists the retail price for $1995. Along with the rifle you get a 10rd SA magazine that came with the rifle, 2 GI issue 20 round magazines(about $50/ea now), 2 aftermarket 20 round mags with a case(about $30), Gas cylinder wrench($8), Gas system decarbonizing tool($24), Dewey Nylon muzzle guide($5), a combination tool and a receiver insert to hold bolt open during cleaning and to stop cleaning solvents from getting into the reciever. Also a Tasco Armored 3-9x scope with rings but NO mount. Pretty much everything you'll need for the rifle but ammo. The reason I'm selling is because I never use the rifle and I'm more of a bolt gun man who bought this rifle on a whim. The price is $1625. I will pay to have my FFL ship to your FFL. Pictures available. Please reply to firestud42@aol.com. Thanks, Rob.

kgs

Correct me if I'm wrong......

The "national match" flash suppressors that come on the SA "new loaded" and above M1A's supposedly have a slightly larger inside diameter to allow for proper bullet clearance as it exits the muzzle. And FWIW, I haven't noticed any copper streaking on the inside of the NM suppressor attached to my loaded M1A.

kgs.