M1A handguard question

I know this may sound trivial, but before I get into money, I do not want to assume anything. I like wood stocks. I like M1A/M-14s. I do NOT like icky brown handguards. So....

Does Springfield's black stock handguard work with the wood stock? If so, any tips on where to get one? "Loaded" M1A is waiting for a makeover.

Thanks
Ailean

Dave P

Flat black paint looks fine:

200yard002.jpg

Lurch37

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but heres my 2 cents worth. If it's the icky brown plastic/fiberglass handguard your refering to you, you could also go the way I do and use the older style wooden handguard. It matches the wood stock nicely and you already like wood right.

KAD

I'm not to fond of the brown ones either so I ordered an original M14 black handguard from Freds.

<http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/parts.asp>

I can't see why the ones from Springfield wouldn't fit. I didn't know they sold them. If you already have a icky brown one you can just paint it a non icky color.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I wondered about paint possibilities, but was a little skeptical due to heating problems. Maybe some flat "stove" type paint will work out. Still, it gives me hope and a pathway to try.
Maybe it is just me, but they have been some of the most beautiful looking rifles I owned - just never got a liking for that one "flaw" of the cheap looking brown on them in the handguard. But it's all in the eye of the beholder I guess. Mine are gonna get turned black.

Appreciate it.
Ailean