M1A flash suppressor alignment from impact?

Battler

have a Springfield M1A loaded (with NM flash suppressor).
It's been shooting great - i.e. no bullet striking the FS. However, on the way from the range, my gun, in a canvas padded bag (you know, the ones with 5 mag holders on them) was swung and struck a metal doorway at the upper end of the barrel (maybe FS).

Upon inspecting the gun tonight I noticed the FS looked VERY SLIGHTLY slanted - although I wasn't sure I wasn't just imagining it after the hit. The flash suppressor did not look damaged or scratched in any way. I normally use the otis kit; but I took out the segmented cleaning rod and assembled it - when fully inserted, I can pull it to touch one side and not the other.

Is it possible I moved it with the impact, even given there's no visible damage or scratch to it? How does this thing adjust? Or did the gun just come this way?

If I get the tool to remove the nut, can I realign it myself? Is there also an alignment tool, where can one find the alignment tool?

thanks,
Battler.

clem

Battler,
What ever you do DON'T SHOOT the rifle! The flash suppressor sounds like it is out of alinement. A round travelling out of the barrel will split the flash suppressor open like a banana. There is a "flash suppressor alinement tool/gage" which must be used with the "castle nut wrench". I suggest that you locate a gunsmith/shop that knows about the M1A1 and take it in for inspection and R&R if required.
It's not as bad as it sounds as long as you DON'T SHOOT the rifle.
Clem

Battler

I've mailordered the wrench; but could not find the alignment tool anywhere.

I'll be calling up my gunsmith tomorrow; but I'm not sure the smiths in Austin, TX work on this type of gun.

My regular (use him for pistol) smith does good pistol work I know that, maybe he could knock off an alignment tool with his lathe ($$$$$$) :(

thanks,
Battler.

Ledbetter

I got my alignment tool from

Springfield Armory when I redeemed my loaded coupon. The first time I reassembled the rifle after cleaning, I decided to use it afterwards to check my reassembly and thank God I did.

Regards.

Battler

I just got back from my gunsmith who said:

A: looks okay, safe, and it would need a SERIOUS slant to not put a bullet thru the huge hole in the NM flash suppressor.

B: The flash suppressor goes on how it goes on - there is no latitude for adjustment other than on or off.

C: Good, bad, or ugly the nut was tight, and the impact I describe could not have budged it.