M1A Ammo

Dirty_Harry

I am now going through the stages of seeing how much more expensive .308 is over .223 Ammo.

Does anyone know what ammo the M1A does not like, and if there is any inexpensive decent .308 ammo?

Thanks in advance,
Dirty

Last edited:
Does anyone know what ammo the M1A does not like

Oh, c'mon...You know the answer to this. Every gun is different and will like different ammo for absolutely no good reason. Just go buy a box of everything and shoot them and see what groups best. As for cheap ammo, look around online. Aimsurplus, cheaperthan dirt, etc etc etc etc..

I really havent found surpluss 7.62 to be any more than surpluss 5.56. Are you buying commercial "sporting grade" ammo for your M1A? If so, then yes, .308 is far more expensive than .223. I shop for South African surpluss, but stay away from Indian surpluss.

LICCW

NATO surplus

I bought linked NATO surplus .308 that came in an ammo can and was manufactured in Portugal. It was surprisingly good stuff. No problems of any kind fired out of a standard model M1A. Cost was around 100 to 150 for 200 rounds. May have been less, i forget. I bought a couple of cans, but that was last year. haven't been shooting my M1A lately. But it was good, reliable ammo.

LICCW

T&T Gunnery

There is a store on Long Island called T&T Gunnery. They had a lot of the stuff when I bought it. I don't have the phone number handy, but Google them for the number. Ask for Hank. He is the guy to talk to. Don't know what shipping would cost. You may be able to find out the exact specs on the ammo and see if someone in your area has it, or see if T&T still has it and will ship it. Worth looking into. It is good stuff, I had zero issues with it.

wayne in boca

Right now,Aim Surplus has the best and cheapest 7.62 X 51 .South African,not NATO but shoots well.They sell it in beautiful ammo cans with 7 battle packs of 140 rounds each.Portugese has disappeared,so has Aussie.Don't shoot any commercial ammo over 175 grain in your M1A,you'll run the risk of bending the op rod.

hpg

It's about 2 to 2-1/2 times more than 5.56(223). I own both and have purchased both of these ammunition. hpg