M1A + ACOG Mounting Solution Needed

copenhagen

I own an M1A Scout Squad from Springfield.

I own a TA11E ACOG. It was bought for 1000 dollars brand new, so I sort of had to get it it.

I am looking for recommendations as to how to effectively mate my ACOG to my Scout Squat for superior eye relief.

These are the two options I have looked at:

M14 Scope Mount Assembly, ACOG/MIL STD 1913, Wire EDM, NSN 1005-01-535-4430
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html

And..

M14/M1A Low Profile Picatinny Rail Mount
http://www.trijicon-inc.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=530&back_row=8&categoryID=3

Any and all suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

SR420

The best optic mount for the M14 type rifle is actually a stock, the LAW483 M14 MCS by TROY is that stock.

wjkuleck

We () got 'em...in several flavors. Free shipping 'till the end of May.

SOPMOD_SASS-Cropped-Adjusted-675.jpg

I bought one for my M1A Scout/Squad; dead simple to install, will work with 'bout any barrel contour. As SR420 suggested, perfect for the ACOG.

Regards,

Walt

sholling

I'm kinda new to the M14/M1A world but I've never been sold on the scout concept and I've ordered a mount from Bassett Machine and an adjustable cheek piece from DWP for my Squad Scout. The cheek piece showed up this week and although I haven't mounted it yet I like it.

SR420

wjkuleck As SR420 suggested, perfect for the ACOG.

I worked with Steve Troy on a prototype of the LAW483 M14 MCS about 2 years ago.

I am pictured here with an ACOG on the prototype

Additional pictures and information are available HERE ~ Enjoy . . . :cool:

copenhagen

Not really interested in getting a whole new stock- I only want enough rail to put the ACOG on for good eye relief- the rest of the rails would suit my purposes only if I had a rail mounted cd player/air conditioner unit. (CDPACU)

Wildalaska

as much as I want too, I cant warm up to the SOPMOD M1a style stocks...they just dont feel right to me...anyone else feel that way?

WildsocoolbutsowierdfeelingAlaska TM

hoytinak

as much as I want too, I cant warm up to the SOPMOD M1a style stocks...they just dont feel right to me...anyone else feel that way?

I had the SAGE stock on my M14 in Afghanistan and LOVED it but it got heavy in those mountains with all the extra ammo too. But it made up for it every time I got to use it. :D

Wildalaska

yeah but you are young and manly. I am old and wimpy. I can't even put the bayonet on my M1A, makes me tip over :)

WildtimberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrAlaska TM

azredhawk44

Don't these stocks turn a 9+ pound rifle into like a 12+ pound rifle?

Screw that.

I've got an ARMS #18 on my Scout. It rattled loose on some REALLY rough jeep trails in the White Mountains of Arizona, and I had to fall back to my irons for the rest of that trip.

This spring I've remounted the scope, and I realize I made a mistake on my initial mounting procedure. I've also used some locktite to aid in securing the mount solidly.

Result is very good so far, with considerable testing in rough bumpy applications before the next time I go hunting. It's been on for about 3 months now, 50 off-road miles, 200 on-road miles, and about 300 rounds. Still rock solid.

The only thing I would change about the ARMS #18 would be to take a dremel or rotary grinder and smooth/polish the right-underside of the mount. About 1 shot out of every 100 or so used to get hung up and pinched by the op-rod/bolt and the undercarriage of the mount during extraction.

IZinterrogator

sholling, when you mount that cheek piece, let me know if you ended up drilling through the buttstock cleaning kit compartment. Thanks.

sholling

sholling, when you mount that cheek piece, let me know if you ended up drilling through the buttstock cleaning kit compartment. Thanks.
As near as I can figure out there is no cleaning compartment access on my synthetic Squad Scout. If I'm missing something please let me know but I can't see a way in. Anyway my understanding is that it does go through the cleaning compartment if you have a wooden stock. A fair trade off to me.

MTMilitiaman

Hmm, while we're on the subject.

Okay, I am tired. It's past my bed time by a considerable degree, so this might be a very noob question. If so, I apologize in advance--feel free to ridicule. It won't be my first time feeling stupid, nor my last. However, how does field stripping for maintenance work with these mounts? Don't they have to be removed to take the bolt out? Are they simple enough to install that this doesn't matter? I would assume then that they retain zero?

I have been mulling over the concept of putting a 6x IOR Valdada on my M1A, but it just occurred to me that this might be a problem.

Or maybe I am just missing something :confused:

Maybe I should just sleep on it...

SR420

azredhawk44 Don't these stocks turn a 9+ pound rifle into like a 12+ pound rifle?

Adding a scope mount and adjustable cheek rest to a 9+ pound rifle turns it into an 11+ pound rifle that is still not right.

Screw that.

If you're going to do it - do it right and get the modern stock made for the job.
The SAGE delivers an adjustable stock, tension bedding that does not wear out, a semi free floated barrel and several scope mounting options.

BTW, the M14 MCS typically ends up heavier than the SAGE.

copenhagen

Well bottom line, my original question was how to effectively mount an ACOG to my existing M1A scout Squad. While the stocks may seem cool, I don't want a stock and that's that- I'm perfectly happy with my mossy oak stock as it is, and am just looking for advice and experience with mounting ACOGs in particular to M1As. Thanks again guys, and take care.

SR420

SEI and GDI offer excellent receiver mounts for ACOG optics.
Desert Warrior and Karsten offer an adjustable cheek riser.

Good luck.

copenhagen

After reading all about the Lightweight G1-OSM Gen3 Scout from GDI, I am definately thinking I am going to get one from them. Thanks for the pointer SR420. I like the chanel for the Iron Sites, and I like the fact that it was engineered with eye relief in mind specifically. Looks to be quite light weight and durable as well.