M1917 Receiver Movement

'88Scrat

Took the Eddystone out today and noticed that the receiver moves within the stock a little. When I say a little I mean about a millimeter, MAYBE slightly more. It was so slight that I didn't even notice it at first. But now that I know about it it's very noticable. You can hear it move.

We were popping old milk jugs at 50 yards (longest range available today) with no issues but that doesn't seem right.

Am I being paranoid?

Nathan

No, you are right. Generally receiver movement in stock is unacceptable. Action screws may just need tightening or bedding may be required.

'88Scrat

Tightened up the screws in front of the magazine and behind the trigger guard and the movement went away. I didn't go nuts on torque, I'm not sure if you can overtighten and I don't want to find out.

RC20

Good snug is fine.

Worth a torque wrench if you don't have the feel (I have an old 1/4 I use on my target guns)

Jim Watson

Tightened up the screws in front of the magazine and behind the trigger guard and the movement went away.

1. Good thing, a heavy caliber loose in the stock can crack the stock in recoil.

2. Those are commonly called "guard screws" because they go through the trigger guard and clamp the action into the stock.