M1861 Springfield who made this repop

101combatvet

No pictures but I'm trying to figure out the manufacture of a M1861 that I recently saw.

Top of barrel near tang has the VP, 1861 and an Eagle Head stamp.

I couldn't find any serial number or manufactures markings.

On the stock just below the trigger guard is a "P" in a circle stamping.

Anyone have a clue as to the manufacture? The rifle appears to be factory new,
if shot it wasn't used much.

Hawg

I know of no reputable maker that doesn't put their name on them somewhere along with proof marks or that use original proof marks. it could be one that someone has defarbed and added the original markings or it could be an original but without pics it's anybody's guess.

101combatvet

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1139s.jpg
    IMG_1139s.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1140s.jpg
    IMG_1140s.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1141s.jpg
    IMG_1141s.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 46

101combatvet

I guess the top inspector stamp is a defrab from John G. Zimmerman, but I'm still unclear as to the manufacture of this M1861. Anyone?

l.cutler

You won't find out from the marks pictured, they are all just copies of marks on original rifles, the P on the stock was the firing proof. It is a replica that has been defarbed. You can take it apart and check on the bottom of the barrel or inside the lock for markings. Otherwise, you will need to do some detective work and identify it by comparing small details with rifle muskets from known manufacturers. Armi sports are a fair bit larger and chunkier than some of the others, some full length pictures ans some measurements might be a place to start.

101combatvet

Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't Indian made for one. It's said to be unfired, hard to tell for sure. It is in minty condition and the asking price was $495.