M17 / M18 troop feedback

simonrichter

I reckon since the M17 / 18 has been regularly issued for a while now, there might be the first actual user reviews out there - does anybody know more about how the new gun fares with the troops as compared to the M9 or M11?

jmr40

I held off replying waiting for a response from someone in the military. But I think it is a little too early for much feedback. Not everyone has one yet, and the ones who do have not had them long enough to form any real opinions.

I'm not military, but have had a couple of Beretta 92's and a Sig 226 and 228. IMO I liked the Sig better, but respected the Beretta. It was plenty accurate and reliable as were the Sigs. I just liked the feel and controls of the Sig design better.

I no longer own either, but if issued either would use it them with confidence.

I bought the 1st M17 I saw and will say I like the design better. I'm very comfortable with a 1911 and the M17's thumb safety, size, and feel remind me of a modern plastic framed 1911. But holding 17 rounds of 9mm vs 7 rounds of 45.

Siggy-06

I’m one of those oddball veterans that actually love the Beretta M9. First fullsize 9mm I bought when I got back home was an Italian 92FS, just changed the grips and added a D spring and it’s been my nightstand gun/range tack-driver for years.

I have the opportunity to handle a lot of P320s, but only one M17. I think they’re pretty good guns, just not for me. I have a few other striker pistols to compare it to. The bore axis is a bit higher, I wish it had changeable backstraps for a bit better hand fitment, and something about the way the trigger takes up before it breaks(like the way it hinges and stacks) seems very off to me.

All in all though, if I was still in the service, I’d be happy to carry the Sig if that’s what was issued.

CockNBama

Siggy,I think the M9 is a pretty good gun, and that's a leap for me. I detested it for displacing the 1911, and I still have lingering doubts about that.

However, the M9 was accurate in my hands, and reassuring at my side.

Returning to the topic here, the M9 is a far lesser pistol than the P 320. I haven't used an M17.

Last edited:

raimius

The M17/18 is easier to shoot well, with limited training and the controls are better designed. I don't think we have a large enough data set to see how they stand up to the use/abuse troops put them through.

The M9 is a good gun...from the factory. (Ergos and DA/SA training issues aside.)

TunnelRat

Soggy,I think the M9 is a pretty good gun, and that's a leap for me. I detested it for displacing the 1911, and I still have lingering doubts about that.

However, the M9 was accurate in my hands, and reassuring at my side.

Returning to the topic here, the M9 is a far lesser pistol than the P 320. I haven't used an M17.

Owning both the P320 and a Beretta 92, I wouldn’t personally say the M9 is a far lesser pistol. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt127

Most of the military guys I’ve met are a lot like cops. It’s “a gun”. It generally goes bang when I pull the trigger.

There are exceptions. A buddy is a Green Beret and, gun guy.

In the military there are not that many trigger pullers. Lots of folks just keeping the military running. The computer, the mess hall, inventory in quartermaster, the right hydraulic fluid for the brakes on the F-16 etc.

I carried a Wilson .45 for 15 years as a Police Officer and, the department went to issued Glocks. I’m not a Glock guy, at all. But, it did what it was supposed to. Worked fine.

Eh, it was a perfectly good gun.

greentick

Got a chance to chat with an SF team guy last week. They were doing familiarization firing. No one is trading out their Glocks.

Now for the RUMINT: I have heard from 2 separate folks at the unit about 30% are having issues. Some sort of trigger thing.

The guy I was talking with is small statured. He has to shift his grip to operate the controls (i don't remember if it was mag catch, slide release, or safety).