M16's

MrBlonde

What year did the US trade the M16A1 with the Three Prong flash hider for the "Birdcage" flashider, for some reason 1969 is what my mind tells me...

MITHRANDIR

we changed our pronged one out for a birdcage in Nov 68...(I Corp, Phu Bai, 101 ABN)

cannot answer for the other areas

ModIMark0

The reason for replacement of the birdcage for 3-prong was the open construction would make it more likely to catch vegatation in the suppressor's open prongs and create a muzzle obstruction.
On a related note, I had heard that their were two versions of the three prong flash suppressor. The first was a stepped (two diameters) affair, and the more known second version had the gradual taper from the bottom to the top (muzzle end). Anyone with a copy of "The Black Rifle: A Retrospective" that can confirm this?

Rex Feral

REMF's were also using the prong type surpressor to break the bands on packing crates, bending the barrels in the process.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

K80Geoff

The real reason was that troops in the field were using the three prong supressors to open C ration crates that were held together by wire. After a few AD's and several wounds the supressors were redesigned.

Geoff Ross