M16A1 vs XM177 retro

• M16A1

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • XM177

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mavracer

I have a older SP1 style big pins Colt lower and am wanting to do a retro build and am torn on a A1 build or a XM177. I have other ARs and don't really have a specific need for this.

Skans

If you have a true Colt SP1 lower, I'd look on gunbroker and find an original SP1 barreled upper to go on it. Look at the serial number and try to get it back to its original state. I think the Colt Sp1 Carbines and Colt AR's will continue to increase in value over time. Just my thoughts.

mavracer

I think it was an early H-Bar with a carry handle, but not entirely sure. It's spent the last few years with a White Oak service match upper on it that's going on a new mil spec lower and I really have no interest in any kind of A2 configuration.

AK103K

I second the SP1 upper and putting it back to that.

If you go true XM177, youll have to SBR the gun, or try and find one of the old 11.5" barrels with the fake moderator pinned/welded on.

Get a stripped lower, and build your own as a pistol is another option. I just put this one together over last winter. Not qite a true XM177, but an updated one anyway. Its a lot of fun to shoot and handy as hell....

ry%3D400

Easy enough to put a carry handle on it and youre even closer to the XM177.

mavracer

Look at the serial number and try to get it back to its original state.

Well that threw a wrench in the works apparently I don't have a SP1, I have what was a government service which is pretty much a A2 configuration. So I may just leave it alone and build something else with my new lower.

highpower3006

You should really have both. I voted for the XM177, but the A1 is a very handy rifle. I picked up a SP1 last year and then went on a retro kick and put together several retro rifles. now I hardly ever shoot my "modern" AR's.

XM177E2, used a 80% lower that I reprofiled to A1 specs. Now waiting for me to get the proper moderator
IMG_4070-L.jpg

M16A1 clone using a NDS A1 lower
IMG_4005-L.jpg