M16 REALLY that picky?!

Lavid2002

My ar15, ok its not a m16 but it is mil-spec except for the trigger group! anyways....I was at the range shooting some bulk ammo. Ripping open boxes loading and bumpfiring, double tapping, and rapid firing my little heart out when I load a fresh mag, slap the bolt carrier and the bolt stops and doesnt turn, I slapped the mag and racked the action.....nothin same problem. I took out the mag, cleared the chamber and locked the bolt back. Inspected and NOTHING. hmmm Again same problem when I ATTEMPTED to fire again. I took it out and used a dental pik made out of plastic to check the barrel extention. out pops a thin, peice of cardboardy paper from the box of ammo. no more than 3/8"x1/4" WOW Man it doesnt take much for these things to fail. I would be SOL if that was a mag loaded for home defence, witht hat peice wedged in between 2 cartridges. Sheesh

bigghoss

my dpms doesn't like wolf ammo but aside from that I've never had a problem with my AR, the m16 at work or any of the others I've come across

hoytinak

Neither my M16 or AR are picky bout what they feed. The AR is picky about being accurate though...never tested the M16 for accuracy (when it comes out it's just for fun wasting ammo :D).

ISC

mine tend to jam if I put a bunch of dirt and trash in a magazine too.

I just make sure not to put cardboard, yarn, plastic ties, garbage bags, seafood shells, lottery tickets, used condoms, or anything else of that sort in my magazines when I load them.

works for me.

clem

http://www.jouster.com/articles30m1/

"An Analysis by the Bad Guys:

During my latter days with 2/3 I served as the Battalion Intelligence Officer. One of the reports that came in was an intercepted message from the Viet Cong (Vietnamese Communists). The VC were not as well equipped as the NVA (the North Vietnamese Army - the regular Vietnamese Army people who operated primarily in the North just south of the DMZ).

We as Marines, usually policed all (or as much as we could find) of our equipment left on the battle field by our wounded. Most of course, was sent to the rear with the wounded man, but there would occasionally be items on the battle field by the departing units. The VC used this recovered equipment to equip there own rather meager supplies as would any good guerilla force. The intercepted document reinforced this practice, exhorting the VC troops to police the battle fields for usable equipment. This document however, had one telling exception to the rule. It stated that all equipment was to be picked up with the exception of "the little black rifle" which is useless to our cause!

I knew exactly what they were talking about!"

Last edited:

DonR101395

I just make sure not to put cardboard, yarn, plastic ties, garbage bags, seafood shells, lottery tickets, used condoms, or anything else of that sort in my magazines when I load them.

works for me.

Same for me.

I've had my BHP fail because I got lint in the magazine. I couldn't figure it out. Finally, I discovered a piece of lint in the magazine/chamber areas. Lint from my pocket where I had a couple of spare mags at the range got into the mag and jammed up the weapon very good.

It was hardly the weapons fault. I wouldn't blame stuff like that on the weapon.

My AR15's don't fail any more than any of my other weapons I own. That includes Glocks, AK's, SKS's, etc... However, I don't often load my mags with cardboard either. :)

Lavid2002

ha ha ha : |

works for me.
lol, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT! XP
I just found it so obscure that something so small could cause such a big problem. Not like its something rare. Stryrafoam did the same thing! Remmy comes with a reloading brick of foam, it holds the shells, sometimes bits of foam cling to the cartridges via static electricity. Real pain.

rgitzlaff

Doesn't take much if something is in the chamber. There is very little clearance between the chamber wall and the case. anything in there will prevent the case from fully chambering, which prevents the bolt from rotating and locking. Not unique to the AR, I bet your bolt gun won't chamber so easy if you stuck a peice of cardboard in the chamber first.

P99AS9

Have you tried feeding your AK any vodka bottles? I've heard that if you break it into small enough pieces, it'll be okay.

Actually, my AK is a Lancaster that was imported from Romania. Vodka doesn't appeal to it much. :D I don't know what Romanians eat, but my AK should eat any bullet or magazine you throw in it.

jpwilly

Apparently they are. Let's see a picture of this cardboard! Maybe we can try to feed similar cardboard and foam to a variety of rifles and see which ones will eat it and which ones won't.

P99AS9

I had no idea your AK had a taste for lamb guts!

Oh yeah, she loves haggis.

P.S.- This poll started out talking about a finnicky AR, and somehow, it is now talking about what my AK likes to eat :D

lmccrock

Well.....I would rather it NOT fire out of battery than have it FIRE out of battery. And a piece of cardboard that size might keep it out of battery. Any gun, even an AK.

Lee

Lavid2002

Doesn't take much if something is in the chamber. There is very little clearance between the chamber wall and the case. anything in there will prevent the case from fully chambering, which prevents the bolt from rotating and locking. Not unique to the AR, I bet your bolt gun won't chamber so easy if you stuck a peice of cardboard in the chamber first
Thats what supprized me. It was in the barrel extension..where the locking lugs turn. Not the chamber....Theres a gap between lugs and it still jammed up, twice even after remedial and immediate action!
P.S. about the bumpfirerer comment...point was...It was a day at the range to just blast away some cheap aguila .223 not a breath controll smooth steady pressure kind of day :p