M14 Purists... Look away (pics)

Tucker 1371

So with a stock and some advice from SR420, and a little help from my buddy with a machine shop and kydex working tools, I have succeeded in turning my M1A scout into an absolute Frankengun, an abomination to M14 purists, and I love it :D

Because I am left handed the Juggernaut chassis caused both the brass and charging handle to hit me in the face. We used a grinder to remove the charging handle from the op rod (not USGI, don't freak). After that my buddy Joe rigged up a kydex shell deflector that screws into the existing holes in he chassis. The spent brass gets dropped right at my feet, the deflector dings the case mouths a little but they are easily fixed by a resizing die. Here's how it looks

The ACOG is a .308 calibrated TA11-E model with a .308 BDC, one question, BZO should be done at 33 yards correct?

SR420

Outstanding!

I'm impressed with the Kydex guard... you may have stumbled upon a cottage
industry producing these for the Lefty that wants a Rogue or BullDog bullpup kit.

Get your hands on a real camera, and take some clear pictures...

4EVERM-14

"OH, THE HUMANITY!
Yes I'm a purist. Wood and steel.
However, That is an interesting set up. Nice custom work. Keep us posted on how it handles.

Jo6pak

Pretty neat modifications

Stupid Question= If you milled off the charging handle, how do you work the action?

SR420

Jo6pak Pretty neat modifications

Stupid Question= If you milled off the charging handle, how do you work the action?

There is a left side charging handle attached to the op rod.
You can see it in this image, directly behind the op rod guide.

10247478_855088137841709_3288439518428225422_n.jpg

Tucker 1371

It handles and shoots great, all the weight is in the shooters shoulder so it points like an M4. I removed the original ACOG mount and put it in a GG&G QD mount. I was trying to get a 100yd zero today and noticed POI would shift every so often, haven't really put enough rounds through it to determine the problem but I think I may have to loctite the ACOG to the mount and try to re-zero. I'll put it in a vice eventually and see what kind of groups it'll make.

SR420

Awesome!

I am really happy that you made it work for you :)

Also, the left side charging handle looks like it may not be perfectly aligned.
Keep an eye on it because they can shoot loose... I ended up welding mine in place.

Tucker 1371

SR420, I don't think I used LocTite on the part of the upper rail group that screws into the receiver scope mount hole, think that might be causing some of my zeroing issues? I used all the rubber bedding material and it is an EXTREMELY tight fit, hard to snap the trigger group closed but it goes.

SR420

Tucker 1371 SR420, I don't think I used LocTite on the part of the upper rail group that screws into the receiver scope mount hole, think that might be causing some of my zeroing issues? I used all the rubber bedding material and it is an EXTREMELY tight fit, hard to snap the trigger group closed but it goes.
That will cause a wandering zero. My method was to set it up, shoot it, adjust as needed, making sure everything was square & level ... only when I had it just right would I use Blue LocTite. Also, I didn't need to use any of the neoprene bedding gaskets with my Poly Tech receiver... you just need to find the sweet spot for your receiver.

Last edited:

Tucker 1371

How's the trigger

Not as good as before but still pretty good. The reset isn't as defined, the pull only the slightest bit mushy, and the break is still pretty clean and crisp.

And nuts! I guess I'll need to take it down and loctite it.

Tucker 1371

It's all LocTited Down now... Now I just have to pony up the ammo to zero it again, expensive goof up :eek:

Anyhow, I've noticed lately that I'm getting some stuck cases. I cleaned the chamber a little after the first time it happened and that seemed to temporarily alleviate the problem, when I was zeroing Friday it happened once again.

Ammo is CBC Magtech M80 ball, rounds fired at time of stoppage was approximately 100 in one hour, temperature was 95 deg. Is it the ammo? A dirty chamber? Or the extractor?

HKFan9

I know the build quality is there, and you are happy with it, which is great, but you ruined a perfectly fine rifle.:eek: lol