M1 rifle lower band pin

Chris_B

I seem to have lost the lower band pin on my M1 rifle. Took it shooting yesterday, and I came home, took the rifle down, cleaned up, and had dinner. After dinner I cleaned the rifle, and the lower band pin was missing.

I know it was there last time I cleaned and reassembled the rifle, so I searched the room. Cannot find the pin. I did the old rub-your-hand-along-every-square-inch-of-the-floor routine

Can anybody out there take a minute and put a pair of calipers on their lower band pin and give me dimensions so I can go out and cut a piece of stock to make a new one? I'm sure that once I've made a replacement, the original will be found

Chris_B

if anyone is interested, a 1/8" roll pin at .5" long is a tight fit. I squashed one slightly in a vise and filed a couple thou off the diameter, works fine

Chris_B

Well, I figured .125" since the 1/8" roll pin was a little tight ;)

Good suggestion on the drill bit shank. I'm sure I have a dull one somewhere that deserves no better fate!

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Army used roll pins when they rebuilt those guns. Actually, there is no special strain on that pin, a piece of nail will work fine.

Jim