M1/M14: The Myth of Slam Fires

kraigwy

I keep hearing/reading about Slam Fires on the M1/M14/M1A actions. Slam fire, meaning the firing pin hits and sets off the primer before the bolt is locked in battery.

Excluding high primers (from poor hand loading practices) or loose primer pockets not holding the primer (again poor hand loading practice, not inspecting brass), IT ISN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

The bolt/firing pin on these rifles design holds the firing pin to the rear (side), not allowing it to move forward until the bolt is locked in battery.

Examine the below photos (from the booklet the CMP sends with its Garand Rifles).

On the left photo (bolt out of battery), the rear of the "L" shaped firing pin (A) is pivoted to the right, not allowing if to fit into the slot (C), keeping it from moving forward engaging the primer.

Now look at the photo on the right (the bolt is rotated and locked into battery). You can see the "L" portion of the firing pin is in a slot, allowing it to move forward and engage the primer when hit by the hammer.

Looking at ammo that has been chambered but not fired, you may see a small indication or dent, showing the firing pin touched the primer, but not enough for detonation, regardless if its a so called thin jacketed primer.

Again, if you get slam fires, its because the primer is not seated flush, or a loose pocket that would allow the primer to move to the rear. In the latter case, a majority of the time the bolt hitting the rear of the case seats the primer, but it is still possible for the bolt face (not the firing pin) to set off the primer in both cases.

I don't expect this to prevent the myth from spreading. But if you examine the rear of the bolt and the rifle action, you'll see for yourself slam fires will not occur if proper reloading procedures (fully seating the primer) or brass examination (to insure the primer pocket holds the primer property).

I suppose it is possible for someone to make and use a firing pin that is too long. I have examined hundreds of M1/M14/M1A,s and never found on. Simply look at the bolt when the firing pin is locked to the rear, if it doesn't protrude through the hole, you wont get firing pin related slam fires.

Slam%20fire.jpg

AK103K

I suppose some of this is confusion between a true slam fire, and out of battery firing. Regardless, when they occur, its usually in the same manner, the bolt going forward, and the gun firing before lock up.

In a perfect world, they would be easily explained, in the real world, maybe not so much.

My gun (DCM M1) came apart using club/DCM issued Lake City 69. If it was the ammo, no one else who drew the same lot, had any issues.

During the rapid fire stages, I had had a couple of doubles, and thought it was just me, as the gun was new to me, and I figured I was on the trigger. Turned out, once the brass was recovered, the rifle was firing out of battery, although with those rounds, it was close to lock up, as only the necks were blown out.

With the round that took the gun apart, it was during the slow fire stage, and the bolt was let go on a single round inserted into the chamber. It detonated while the bolt was still open, and only the rear half of the case was recovered.

Prior to shooting it, the rifle had been disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled without issue. At the time (mid 80's), I had been shooting M1's well over 20 years, and was very familiar with them.

M1's and M14's/M1A's are great guns, but they do have specific needs and you need to understand them, if you want to have a good experience with them.

Proper ammo, and if you reload, close attention to what youre doing, are a must.

If loading singly, a SLED for the M1, and a mag for the M14, should be used. Do not drop a round in the chamber and let the bolt fly.

4EVERM-14

The slam fire term is usually a catch all bucket for a number of occurrences when the rifle discharges unexpectedly. The rifle may have the safety designs to reduce the probability but that does not preclude that it can't happen. Ammunition issues, mechanical defects and operator error are contributors which, when the moon is right, will create an unsettling incident. Doubling is sometimes considered a slam fire when operator error is really the culprit. Sensitive primer exist as do factory ammunitions that were improperly loaded. The true cause of an unexpected discharge would take a laboratory environment to determine. The cost of which would be excessive. Thus the slam fire covers everything.

Ifishsum

I don't think of a slam fire as being only OOB.....but rather any time the round goes off when the bolt closes and the trigger isn't pulled. I've personally seen it happen twice in HP matches; one in an AR15 and the other an M1. Neither fired out of battery, neither rifle damaged, both shooters very surprised. Both hit the grass between the line and the target, which is of course why the RSO always harps on keeping the muzzle down when releasing the bolt.

AK103K

Ive had them occur with one of my Armalite AR's, with reloads using Winchester primers. It didnt happen on closing the bolt, but as the bolt went back into battery on firing, I was getting 3-4 round bursts. It appears the bolt had locked up, as the cases looked normal on recovery.

Im pretty sure the primers were seated properly, and the cases were in spec too, as Im pretty anal about that. I usually randomly check both with a gauge as Im loading.

I normally use CCI primers with most of my loads, as I have both bolt and autos in the same calibers, and the CCI's are normally a non issue in the autos. I also usually load the rounds to spec, and not deviate in OAL for the same reasons.

44 AMP

Staff
I suppose its all in how you look at it. The firing pin does bounce off the primer when the bolt locks up.

The M14/M1A is not unique in that.

Slamfire

But of course the Garand mechanism slamfires. It will slamfire in battery and out of battery. The idea that the receiver bridge is somehow some sort of a positive barrier is ridiculous, and an argument based on authority. The authority is, the Army incidentally. Based on my research, this idea came out just as civilians were getting their hands on M1 Garands to shoot in the National Matches. And they were having out of battery slamfires with the thing. Coincidentally, this was at the same time Springfield Armory was in the fight of its life, and so was it’s baby: the M14. Instead of admitting that their rifle mechanism had an inherent safety defect, they lied about it. I think they lied because admitting their mechanism could slam fire would have aided the M16 supporters. M14 fan boys still believe these Army lies, even though Springfield Armory was closed down and their M14 was replaced by the M16.

Oh, yes, the M16 had a slamfire problem, but that was only discovered after it was in service. Stoner denied it was a design fault of the M16, instead he claimed the Services were using his rifle incorrectly. According to Stoner, you are only to feed rounds from the magazine, never to place one in the chamber and drop the bolt.

We know the Italians had slamfires with their M1 Garands and BM59 rifles. This is an Italian M1 Garand bolt to which the Italians added a spring to reduce firing pin bounce energy.

Roland Beaver will add this spring to your bolt. Roland Beaver was a Marine Corp Armorer on the Garand. He has seen slamfires in these mechanisms.

I had his spring added to the bolt of my M1 Garand. I put a round in the chamber, pointed the muzzle down, and dropped the bolt. I still got this dent on the primer.

Authority would have you believe that the receiver bridge is a positive means of retaining the firing pin. That the receiver bridge positively blocks the firing pin from touching the primer. This is the M1 Carbine receiver bridge, functionally the same as the Garand mechanism, and easier to understand.

So here, the firing pin tang is touching the receiver bridge. At this point, if the bridge and the firing pin are correctly dimensioned, the firing pin can’t touch the primer.

And here, the lugs are in battery and the firing pin is free to rebound off the primer. If the primer is sensitive enough, it will ignite. The primer should ignite if the firing pin is struck by the hammer.

But what does the Garand mechanism to hold the firing pin back as the bolt moves forward?: nothing That firing pin can, and does rebound off the primer before the lugs are in battery. In between these lines that free floating firing pin is 100% free to contact the primer. This should be obvious if you examine the mechanism. I find it totally amazing that generations of shooters have shot their Garands/M1a's and never once figured out that the firing pin is 100% free floating as the bolt goes into battery and never thought of the implications. Maybe they don't want to think about the implications.

In battery slamfires occur when the firing pin rebounds off a sensitive primer and the primer ignites when the lugs are engaged. This happens in virtually all semi automatic rifles. The Garand mechanism however, will slamfire in battery, and out of battery. It does not have a positive firing pin block preventing the firing pin from hitting the primer as the bolt moves forward. Ergo: this design will slamfire out of battery. There is always a finite probability of ignition any time there is incidental contact between a firing pin and a primer.

Last edited:

Kosh75287

I own an M1 and an M1A. Never had any trouble with the latter, and it routinely makes me look like a better shooter than I really am.

I had ONE "incident" with the M1 which, for want of a better definition, I labelled as a "double". On the 6th round through the rifle, it fired, ejected the 6th round, stripped the 7th round from the clip, and fired when the bolt went home. The 8th round was ejected, unfired, in one direction, while the clip was ejected in another. I was SURE that something had destroyed my M1, but it's been shooting like a champ, ever since.

The cause of the "slam-fire" was never determined. Ammo was old factory 150gr., so a high primer doesn't sound right, except that all other explanations made even LESS sense.

1stmar

Slamfire after installing the firing pin spring, do you get a dent in the primer if a round is NOT loaded in the chamber and only fed from the clip?

thump_rrr

I keep hearing/reading about Slam Fires on the M1/M14/M1A actions. Slam fire, meaning the firing pin hits and sets off the primer before the bolt is locked in battery.

Excluding high primers (from poor hand loading practices) or loose primer pockets not holding the primer (again poor hand loading practice, not inspecting brass), IT ISN'T GONNA HAPPEN

Glen E. Zediker, a well known authority on the M14 disagrees with you.
Although I have never experienced a slamfire in any of my M14 type rifles or Garand I have gone from using Federal Gold Medal Match primers to CCI#34 NATO Spec Primers.
I also uniform all primer pockets to maximum SAAMI depth.

There is a bridge in the receiver that’s supposed to
“hook” the tail on the firing pin as the bolt is closing
and prevent the pin from going forward, but
that’s only according to the blueprints. The tail of
the firing pin then aligns with the bridge to allow
the pin to go forward after the bolt is closed. It
hardly ever works all the time and frequently doesn’t
work at all. Not all bridges are dimensionally
correct enough to function as designed and can
allow the pin to slip through as the bolt closes.
Not a “quality” issue since it’s known to infect the
superb “real” M14 receivers as well as cast junk
from China. If the bridge has too tight a tolerance,
it can cause cycling malfunctions and possibly
the destruction of the firing pin as it contacts
the bridge when the bolt unlocks after firing. That condition is rare but could be one reason many receivers
tend to come out a little larger in the bridge area.

Last edited:

Jimro

No matter what you think about slamfires in the M1/M1A platform, an unexpected firing of a weapon is a significant emotional event. The debate over how and why a slamfire happens is irrelevant to what everyone should be doing with their M1/M1A (and AR platforms which also have this issue).

So no matter where you stand on themechanics of it:

Always obey the 4 rules of safe gun handling

Always use milspec sensitivity primers

Always ensure primers are seated to the proper depth.

Be safe out there.

Jimro

Slamfire

Slamfire after installing the firing pin spring, do you get a dent in the primer if a round is NOT loaded in the chamber and only fed from the clip?

I don't have pictures, and the rifle is in the safe. I do remember that rounds showed the primer dent before I added the spring, regardless of whether of the round was chambered single shot, or from the clip. I do not have a recollection that the primer dent has gone away even with the spring.

I do think the spring adds some safety margin, that is it reduces the chance of a slamfire, but I always use the less sensitive mil spec primers in this mechanism. Now I have mentioned before that the high primer theory is basically a red herring. CCI says high primers are the most likely cause of misfires with their primers. Primer anvils have to be firmly set and the primer cup pushed down, setting the gap between anvil and primer cake. If the anvil is dangling in the air and the gap is too large, a misfire will result. Therefore I conclude that the high primer theory is an intentional misdirection by the Army and the least likely assignable cause of slamfires. Though, if the reloader has shallow pockets or puts spacers under their primers, then they will have a firmly set anvil and if the cup is pushed down so the primer cake is properly pinched between the cup and anvil, then in those circumstances, why yes, a high primer can ignite if hit.

I follow certain reloading practices in these rifles.

I full length resize my cases, and I use small base dies.

I set up my dies using cartridge headspace gauges, and make sure I am pushing the shoulder between Go and No Go on the gage. Most of the time I push the shoulder back at least 0.003", but for gas gun ammunition, I have zero concerns about pushing that shoulder all the way to the Go line.

I trim all cases on a Giraurd trimmer, which deburrs and bevels the case mouths.

I ream my primer pockets to depth with hand tools.

I used CCI #34 or Tula mil spec primers. The Tula primers are really good.

I hand prime each case and inspect the case to ensure that all primers are below the case head.

I seat bullets off the lands. I do not want the bullet jammed into the lands for my gas guns, and the bullets I use, the 168 match and 175 SMK, are jump tolerant.

With completely rounds I check to see that they will drop in the gauges without issue. All rounds should chamber without any resistance.

Slamfire

I own an M1 and an M1A. Never had any trouble with the latter, and it routinely makes me look like a better shooter than I really am.

I had ONE "incident" with the M1 which, for want of a better definition, I labelled as a "double". On the 6th round through the rifle, it fired, ejected the 6th round, stripped the 7th round from the clip, and fired when the bolt went home. The 8th round was ejected, unfired, in one direction, while the clip was ejected in another. I was SURE that something had destroyed my M1, but it's been shooting like a champ, ever since.

The cause of the "slam-fire" was never determined. Ammo was old factory 150gr., so a high primer doesn't sound right, except that all other explanations made even LESS sense.

I believe you had an in battery slamfire. The violent action after cartridge ignition was due to the lugs not being fully in battery. These pictures are from another poster who nicely gave me permission to use them. This one shows the Garand receiver bridge. Here, the firing pin tang is blocked during final cam down.

The bolt has rotated enough that the firing pin is able to clear the notch in the receiver bridge.

This is the bolt rotation necessary for the tang to clear the notch

This pencil mark show how little lug engagement there is when the firing pin clears that receiver bridge notch.

You were lucky. That cartridge had a sensitive primer and had it been one of those neck sized cases, or a fat case, and the bolt had to stop early to crunch fit that round to the chamber, your in battery slamfire might have very well been an out of battery slamfire. As it was, the timing of your rifle was off, due to the fact that bolt was only partially engaged, the bolt was over accelerated on opening and the subsequent slamming and banging caused a malfunction.

The receiver bridge was, and always was, to hold up the back of the bolt and to be a firing pin retraction cam. I am of the opinion that calling it a "safety" bridge is a creation from the early 60's. It is not a positive firing pin block, nor was it ever meant to be. I examined John Garand's' patent, the functions of the firing pin tang and the firing pin retraction cam are explicitly spelled out and not as a firing pin block. Its primary function is to retract the firing pin at unlock. There is a slot allowing the firing pin to go forward when the bolt is in battery, but the function of the piece as a firing pin block is not claimed. The extractor is claimed as a means of holding the firing pin.

Patent 1 892 141 Semi Automatic Rifle. J. C. Garand Dec 27 1932

The firing pin is formed at its rear end with a laterally extending had 72 adapted to contact a projection 73 formed in the receiver when the bolt is in unlocked position so that the firing point is retracted into the bolt, but the head is cut away at 74 to pass such projection when the bolt is locked to permit the pin to be moved to its extreme forward or firing position.
"I claim":
5. The combination with a gun provided with a receiver, of a bolt receiprocable in the receiver, a firing pin reciprocal in the bolt, a laterally extending head for the pin and means in the receiver to engage the head on rocking of the bolt to unlocked position to retract the pin
6. The combination with a gun provided with a receiver, of a bolt reciprocable in the receiver, a firing pin in the bolt, an extractor carried by the bolt, and means on the extractor to prevent rotation of the pin with respect to the bolt.
7. The combination with a gun provided with a receiver, of a bolt reciprocable in the receiver, a firing pin in the bolt, an extractor carried by the bolt, and means on the extractor cooperating with the pin to limit movement thereof.
8 The combination with a gun provided with a receiver, of a bolt reciprocable in the receiver, a firing pin in the bolt, an extractor carried by the bolt, and means on the extractor to limit reciprocatory movement of the pin with respect to the bolt and prevent rotary movement thereof with respect thereto.

Slamfires due to sensitive primers are very rare, but they happen. The kinetic energy of the firing pin must be matched to primer sensitivity or slamfires will occur. Commercial primers are very sensitive, primarily due to all the old, worn out firearms in the hands of the public. When a 100 year old mainspring won't ignite a cartridge, or an inadequately designed ignition mechanism won't ignite a cartridge, the first thing the shooter does is blame the ammunition. Commercial ammunition manufacturers therefore have an incentive to make their primers are sensitive as possible. Given that commercial primers are more sensitive on the average than military primers, the chance exists that a free floating firing pin will ignite a very sensitive commercial primer by chambering a round, or dropping a weapon. If you happen to shoot yourself, have an accidental discharge, or your Garand based firearm goes off out of battery, ammunition manufacturer's have virtually no liability because proving the primer was defective, is a little hard to prove, after the fact.

Slamfire deniers are irrational people, and there are a lot of them. From what I can tell, they fall into four categories:

1) They have never seen a slamfire therefore they do not exist. I have never seen a black swan, so does that prove they don't exist? (they do)

2) They have been taught that only shooter negligence cause slamfires. The US Army taught the American public this nonsense. I call it Davidianism after the last author who wrote an Dobe Bag article in the American Rifleman. The Prime Davidian wrote an article claiming the Garand mechanism was perfect, and that slam fires were only due to shoot negligence. This guy had an amazing background. He worked at Frankfort Arsenal his entire career, he was the Government Technical Expert during the Ichord hearings, and he was the lead into the investigation of the M16 slamfire issue. He created the technical specifications that required a less sensitive primer for the M16 mechanism, the #41 primer. And yet, decades later, when he was retired and working as a Army consultant, writing for the NRA, Army weapons are perfect. Only high primers and your worn out gun cause slamfires. The design of the M1 Garand prevents slamfires, in battery or out of battery, and there is no such thing a primer sensitivity. The concept of primer sensitivity does not exist within his article or any article in the American Rifleman till late. By the absence of information, generations of shooters believe that a primer is a primer is a primer. They believe that all primers from all brands are of the same sensitivity and primer sensitivity does not vary within the lot, or between lots. Generations believe this nonsense, and when you have an authority figures such as the Army and the NRA actively providing dis information by "educating" us that guns can't slamfire by design, well, whom are they to believe, and whom will they believe?

C. Ed Harris was an American Rifleman technical writer from the 70's and he is a Davidian to the core. You can read his post, complete with bold print and spouting specifications, to impress the reader, about how the only thing that causes Garands/M1a's/ mini M14's to slamfire is your "worn out gun and sloppy ammunition."

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6534244&postcount=7
M1A M-14 slam fire

I have examined several M1 Garand, Ruger Mini-14 and M1A rifles which have slam-fired.

All such incidents I am personally aware of occurred using handloads.

1) While soft primers may be a contributing factor, this is not the sole explanation.

2) If primers are not seated below flush of the case head, protrusion of the primer cup above the case head is a factor.

3) If cases are not sized and trimmed properly, so that there is resistance to full bolt closure and lockup, this is another factor. Both sized cases and loaded rounds should be gaged 100%. Use of military ammunition in minimum SAAMI or custom "match" chambers can also cause tolerance stacking interference.

4) When the rifle is properly assembled, with correct parts which gage properly, the firing pin should be flush or below the bolt face at "half-lock" (7-1/2 degrees bolt rotation on the M14). This is measured using a stripped bolt and slave slide-handle using a dial indicator gage inserted from the muzzle.

5) When M1a parts guns are assembled with surplus parts which may have been rejected because they didn't gage up, this is a big factor.

6) If the firing pin retraction cam in the receiver web doesn't gage properly this is another factor.

7) If the "tail" of the firing pin which engages the receiver retraction cam does not gage properly, this is a factor.

8) If primer pockets are loose from repeated reloads of brass having head hardness less than 170Vickers Diamond Pyramid Hardness, loose primers, or blown primers which leave debris in the bolt face can also cause a slam-fire.

Slam-fires have not to my knowledge been documented in properly assembled rifles in which all parts in the assembly meet the government gages, when using either NATO, US military or SAAMI specification commercial match ammunition, such as M80, L2A2, M118, M852 or Federal #308M.

An exact attributing cause of any slamfire is often impossible to determine because of interaction of multiple variables and the fact that "the Brass Fairy" often removes much of the evidence.
Last edited by Ed Harris; June 3, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
I used to volunteer at the CMP, I volunteered when they were on Anniston Army Depot, and that has been a while. The CMP Armorers are Garand fan boys, and actively promote Davidianism. They don't believe that their beloved rifle has any defects, believe that only shooter misconduct causes slamfires, and therefore the CMP is Davidian to the core, up and down. It is their culture. You want to be part of that organization you will be required to drill a hole in your head, suck out half your brains, and accept their nonsense as truth. If you are enough of a Garand fanboy, you will. You will happily conform to the group think because you want to be part of the group. When the very top authorities are telling us only shooter negligence causes slamfires, who is going to challenge them that they are full of beans? It turns out debunking authority figures is not something people want to do, it is thankless, and unprofitable. One must also understand the power of "Group Think". Humans are social creatures: we want to fit in the group. We want to be accepted by the group. If the leaders of a group espouse a certain belief system, humans will change their behavior, thinking, and beliefs to fit into the group. Humans will accept the theories of a group, will not challenge the dominant authorities, even when the evidence before their eyes shows that the group theories are wrong.

3) irrational people who don't want to believe that their rifle could accidentally discharge even though they did "everything right". I also believe these types need to feel that nature, the future, has to be 100% predictable, so they won't accept that things happen outside of their control . Many are the "I said so" types. Something bad won't happen because "I said so". Pick a situation, there are literally tens of thousands of ways the "I said so" types have killed themselves or others, because they don't believe accidents can happen to them. The irrational types use every bias and logical fallacy to wish away evidence that the world does not conform to their delusion. These irrational people typically use the most sensitive primers ( Federal) and don't want to change.

4) The fourth category are psychopaths who want to hurt people. An example is Sunray. He purposely gives bad advice, and it is apparent he wants to hurt people.

SKS -- worth it?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9816391#post9816391
February 23, 2015, 01:10 PM PM #43

Sunray

1). Not an issue. Slam fires are not caused by rifles. They're caused by improperly loaded ammo. Usually high primers.
2) An SKS is not and never has been a target rifle. They were made to be issued as stop gap semi-autos to illiterate conscripts, who could be taught to use 'em in as little time as possible. Trigger pull(and sights) meant nothing.
"...any chance getting more cheap surplus SKSs..." Not with King Obama in office. You likely wouldn't want a rifle from Vietnam or Cuba anyway.
"...poor man's M1 Garand..." Poor mans M1 Carbine.

PM #44
Cee Zee
: August 23, 2012

:
Not an issue. Slam fires are not caused by rifles. They're caused by improperly loaded ammo. Usually high primers.
Sorry friend but that is totally and completely wrong when talking an SKS. How many examples would you like of people who have been shooting them for decades saying what you just said is wrong? …

But just for the record I think I should include some quotes form people about the slam fire issues.

Start on this web page.

Then maybe watch this video.

Or this video.

And here's Murray's famous page on the subject.

And there's this web page which has a video.

Google lists 112,000 results on the subject. I think these people can't all be wrong. Besides I've seen this issue myself. I've seen bent firing pins and I've seen guns fired so many times the bolt got completely gunked up to the point I was surprised it would fire at all. But it did.

Friend you are giving out dangerous advice.

Sunray had been giving the same bad advice for decades, and continues to give the same bad advice, all you have to do is search and see his posts. The good guys at Canadian Gun Nutz finally figured out his malevolent personality and eventually banned him from their forum.

Some things are not funny, you can have him back

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...me-things-are-not-funny-you-can-have-him-back

09-12-2015

Cleftwynd

As long as Sunray isn't here, I am at least partially pleased. Too bad he can navigate the web and spread false and dangerous information on other sites though.

Originally Posted by laker415

He is dedicated at providing terrible advice. I wonder if he thinks he knows it all or is purposely providing poor information. He drops some bad info in a thread and never seems to return to read everyone ripping apart his stupidity.

It's what's known as seagull commenting- flys in, drops a bunch of crap that gets everybody riled up, then flys off to crap on somebody else
The good guys at Canadian Gun Nutz recognize him for what he is and have banned him. I thought the people at the CMP web site have banned him, for purposely giving out dangerous information.

Read his older posts. Sunray is grandiose, self centered, without shame when rebuked. He likes to cause dissention. I believe it enhances his sense of self superiority to watch all the ants scurry around after he kicks over the ant hill. Notice the grandiosity of his older posts; after a time you figure out that the majority of his posts are put downs. Psychopathy does not make one stupid. Sunray is a very clever psychopath, very low key for one thing. Psychopaths are in fact, masters of human motivation and are outstanding at manipulating people. If you notice, he gets his post count up with lots of inane posts. He really does not show any expertise in his posts. But people confuse post count with expertise. When he drops his dangerous advice, new people will look at his post count and assume he is providing accurate advice. He always errors on the side of bad advice. I have seen this repeated pattern time and again on posts that deal with slamfires and old gunpowder. Having corrected him many times, only to read the same dangerous advice later, in fact on other websites, it becomes obvious that he is not mistaken, not confused, he knows what he is doing and is doing it deliberately. The guy wants to hurt people. Beware, there are psychopaths out there that want to hurt you. :mad:

However, now that people have figured out what he is, Sunray has started to adapt. If you notice, Sunray is making himself appear more empathic, more caring. :rolleyes:

If there is a serious mismatch between primer sensitivity and the kinetic energy of the firing pin, the frequency of slamfires will be high enough, such that it becomes obvious that slamfires due to high primer sensitivity are occurring. This is obvious in the case of foreign service rifles. Most of these rifles did not exist in sufficient quantity for slamfire patterns to be noticed, in the hey day of the Garand and the M1a. For decades, these where the only rifles used in NRA competition, and therefore, shooters did not have a basis of comparison. However, after good President Reagan came to office, he allowed the importation of quantities of SKS's, AK47, Russian, Swedish, French, etc, military weapons. These weapons often have heavy firing pins and the issue ammunition used very insensitive primers. American's get these things, use our very sensitive commercial primers, and the weapons slamfire. This only slightly confounds slamfire deniers, as they ignore these examples, but the fact there are so many slamfire reports with these mechanisms, it does point out the inconsistency of their lies. These are some examples:

MAS 49-56 Slamfires

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=665024&highlight=French+7.5+Bullet+Diameter+info+Request

http://web.archive.org/web/20060506045913/http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/75french/sainfo.html

These articles were available on-line, but the links are dead, so I copied
my post from an other board (two posts here as we are limited to 20000 characters):

Disclaimer: This article contains information that may not be appropriate for your particular firearm. Consult your gunsmith in regards to the safety of firing your particular firearm. Consult your reloading manuals for all safety procedures when reloading ammunition. We are not responsible for typographic errors. Your mileage may vary.

What follows is a reproduction of an article from Handloading Magazine on the 7.5x54 MAS, prefaced with comments by myself, updating the magazine article with considerations for the MAS semi-auto rifles.

Update: Reloading the 7.5x54 MAS.
By Paul Pelfrey

While the reprinted article that follows is essentially accurate, the author did not take into consideration the availability of the various semi-auto French rifles that would later be on the market at an affordable price. This article should be applicable to the MAS-44, MAS-49 and the recently imported MAS-49/56 rifles. With the data in table II of the article below, I didn’t need to reinvent the wheel to start my experimentation. My load was the 150 grain Sierra FMJ spitzer, loaded on Norma brass, with Winchester WLR primers, packed with 44 grains of AA-2520 powder. I had had a good experience with this load through my MAS-36 bolt action rifle and decided to give it a go in the MAS-49/56. The MAS-49/56 I had acquired came from SOG and was still in the arsenal wrapping when I received it. After a thorough cleaning I took it and 50 rounds of my handloads. I first test fired the rifle with some surplus Syrian ammo I had. I was disappointed. The Syrian ammo was rife with hangfires and dead primers, and those rounds that did fire would not actuate the bolt properly. Most of the rounds stovepiped none ejected fully. I then took my handloads, loading a single round in the magazine at a time and easing the bolt forward. To my delight, the rounds were rather accurate, keeping inside 1.5 inches at 50 yards, and the brass ejected cleanly. After 10 shots loaded one at a time I loaded two rounds. This time, I let the bolt fly forward on it's own to chamber the first round. The round immediately slamfired as the bolt closed, and the second round chambered. My finger had been outside the trigger guard. I unloaded the gun, then reloaded two rounds. This time, the round did not fire when chambered. However, when I pulled the trigger, the rifle fired both rounds in rapid succession. My first thought was that this was a repeat of a phenomenon that I had experienced with an SKS carbine. In that case, the modern lube I had used on the SKS was too slippery and allowed the firing pin to travel forward with the bolt actuation with sufficient inertia to impact and detonate the primer. In that case, removal of the lubrication solved the problem. I disassembled the MAS rifle and dried the components completely and reassembled it. The slamfire problem persisted. My attention turned to the handloads. Checking the primer seating depth and dimensions of the case turned up nothing out of spec (except the smaller rim diameter, per the Handloader article). I then chambered a Syrian round and then removed it. Examining the Syrian round showed a slight indentation on the primer. I then left the range to ponder my next move.

Next weekend I returned with more handloads, this time using CCI regular and match primers, and Remington primers. During this session my handloads still suffered from slamfires while the military French and Syrian ammo did not. Conclusion: Commercial primers are too thin to operate safely in the French MAS semi-auto rifles.

Solution: CCI, under the name of their parent company, Blount, manufactures a military spec primer. I found a brick at a gunshow in a plain white box. The label read "1000 M-34 Primer for 7.62mm Cartridge". Loading 50 more rounds with these primers solved the problem. Not a single slamfire. Most distributors do not carry this primer, and will only order and sell it in a case lot (5000 primers). The good news is that these primers sell for only about $6-$9 more than the same quantity of regular primers. I would recommend their use in any round that might be loaded in a semi-auto rifle, just for an added margin of safety.

Reloading this round has become much cheaper since the publication of the Handloader article. Lee now makes the dies for this round, and I have seen a retail store price on them for $29.99 (half of RCBS). After talking to the techs at Lee, they are willing to make a tapered expander for necking up the Swedish brass for $15, and if you send them a formed cased with a bullet (no primer, no powder) they will make one of their Factory Crimp Dies for it for $25. I recommend this, inasmuch as a few of my handloads had a problem with the bullets being pushed back into the case upon chambering. This can lead to overpressure and possible injury. Brass is more plentiful now as well. I find Remington 6.5 Swedish at shows for $27/100 and Kengs in Georgia also stocks Lapua 6.5 Swedish for a similar price.

20 Feb 2008 Shotgun News,
Article “ Micro Galil, The Ultimate Krinkov”
Author Peter Kokalis
Page 12
“Most Kalashnikovs have inertia firing pins, without an associated spring. The initial lot of Galils brought into this country by Magnum Research INC. also had no firing pin springs. The Micro Galils that I examined in El Salvador were not equipped with spring-loaded firing pins either.

Military small arms ammunition primers usually have relatively hard cups, which are not easily touched off. American commercial cal .223 Rem ammunition, including Winchester ammunition often features fairly soft primer cups. In 1983, Winchester ammunition in particular caused several slam-fires and all Galils offered for sale in the United States were quickly retrofitted with strong firing pin strings. “

29 August 2007

CENTURY INTERNATIONAL ARMS, INC.
236 Bryce Boulevard
Fairfax, Vermont, U.S.A. 05454
Tel: (802) 527-1252 Fax: (802) 527-5631
Date: August 29, 2007
Subject: Galil and/or Golani Semi-Auto Sporter Rifle
We are requesting that customers who purchased the Galil and/or Golani Semi-Auto
Sporter that have serial numbers between GAL00001 and GAL02393 send in their
firearm to us as we have modified the bolt and are installing a new firing pin and firing
pin spring to ensure that your Golani offers you the utmost safety and reliability. All Galil
and/or Golani rifles that have the letter "F" or "X" on the bottom of the receiver front cut
off have already been upgraded and your rifle does not need to be sent in to us.If you
are a dealer, please provide us with the names, addresses and contact information of
the purchasers of these Galil/Golani rifles. We will contact them directly. If you are
contacted by these customers, please have them call us at 1-800-270-2767 to obtain a
return authorization. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter and hope to have
this situation resolved as quickly as possible[/b]

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ak-47-talk/89974-ak-slam-fire-question.html

AK slam fire question

11-05-2008 Hi guys

I thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys think might be causing a slam fire with my AK.

I took my Romy G to the local range to sight her in. I loaded up the mag with 3 rounds each time 40 rounds total. On two occasions after I fired the first shot the second went off right away. I can only describe this as a slam fire. It seems that when I fired a round something happened when chambering the new round and caused the second one to go off without pulling the trigger. I was using Winchester
White Box 7.62x39 (local range doesn’t allow wolf which is of course what I have plenty of)

11-10-2008

So I cleaned it all up and checked over the FCG real close and everything seems to be in working order. I am not getting the "hammer follow" issue. The disconnector is retaining the hammer when the trigger is fully depressed. And the trigger hook is is grabbing the front of the hammer.

I also took the bolt down and cleaned it up real nice.

I took it to the range over the weekend and put about 90 rounds of wolf down range and not a single issue. Nothing that resembled what happend when using the Winchseter ammo. I did check one of the rounds that were chambered to see if there were any marks on the primer and there was but it didnt go off.

Tavor 21 Slamfire video on youtube.

Notice how many rounds the guy fires. If he had a mechanical problem he would have recurring slamfires, but he did not. When you see the slamfire, notice that the finger is not on the trigger. He was running Federal American Eagle (federal primers) and Winchester ammo. Winchester redesigned their primers in 1999 to make them more sensitive.

This weapon slamfired in battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cv7BI3wGWA

Last edited:

cw308

From service experience using the M14's with automatic selectors installed, never had a slam fire, doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Shooting a weapon that isn't maintained properly or firing poor ammunition anything could happen. Cook off's that's a different reason.

bamaranger

CMP rifle

In my history with a CMP M1, noting some flats on the mainspring of the rifle, and believing spring needed replaced, and that a "heavy duty" aftermarket spring would lessen the battering effect and prolong my receiver life, I installed same. The force necessary to cycle the action by hand was notably higher.

I immediately began to have doubling issues, when previously, I had not. I had for some time been working to reload "correctly assembled" M1 ammo, paying attention to headspace, primer types, depths, and uniforming primer pockets. The likely culprit was the spring. Going back to the original spring, as well as clipping a few coils on the aftermarket HD number to reduce its energy to match the original as best as I could stopped the doubling.

As an aside, I was also very guilty of milking the trigger on the Garand when firing from the bench, and the rifle would bump fire, sometimes very dramtically. Heck of a ride. Consciously working on a trigger follow thru when shooting the M1 largely solved that issue, but bolt rifles had spoiled me.

Llama Bob

The idea that doubling is somehow the fault of the shooter for "milking" the trigger is an absurd one. If you pull the trigger once on a semi-auto and get more than one shot, something is wrong. It might be something with the trigger mechanism, it might be something with the bolt/FP assembly. But it is NOT the shooter's fault.

Llama Bob

Having it happen during normal shooting implies insufficient trigger over travel or an unsafely short reset. That's a gun (trigger) problem, not a shooter problem.

cw308

After firing a semi, you can hold your trigger to the rear, the sear will reset. If for some reason its out of adjustment then I could see a problem. Should be an easy fix. Fired many rounds of 7.62 semi & full auto with the M14 with zero problems its an excellent piece of machinery. Crazy problems happen at no fault of the weapon.

Last edited: