M1 is fun

Saint Dennis

Playing at 200 yards with my Garand today. Hit the 12 inch gong six out of eight. Thats pretty good for me with those sights. (My eyes like a scope these days). Lord I love to hear that ping

olddav

Shot mine at a 400 yard range today and missed alot more than I hit, but boy was it fun. Hitting the 200 yard targets was much easier, comparatively.
I hope to go back Saturday and send more ammo down range.:D

bamaranger

ping

Get on youtube and search M1-ping-tribute and you will eventually get to a great mix of Hollywood footage w/ the ping.

My Garands are very basic ,an import rifle w/ LMR bbl and a CMP rifle.
Both are more accurate than I am from field positions, and neither has given me a bit of trouble reliability wise.

I did get into a bit of trouble 'till I improved the quality of my reloads, but that was my fault, not the rifles.

Wish they could tell their stories.

3StrikesNC

+1

Owning a Garand is a pleasant disease. They just keep multiplying!

Probably my favorite and most enjoyable shooting platform. And you can't beat the nostalgia ....

Chris_B

:)
m1bayo.jpg

blume357

I picked up one of these for my old man's 80th last year

and shot it about 15 times.

All I can say is the men that carried and defended us during the 40's and 50's with this rifle had to be some more tough SOB's.

I'll open a door, step aside, and bow to them any day of the week.

az_imuth

All I can say is the men that carried and defended us during the 40's and 50's with this rifle had to be some more tough SOB's.

They were tough, and I also have the deepest respect for our vets, but I've got to wonder what you mean. The M1 is one of the smoothest shooting battle rifles I've ever encountered. No sharp jolts, just a gentle shove...and this from a .30-06 cartridge. I always enjoy shooting my M1 Garands.
all4b800stc-1.jpg

SilentHitz

What do you mean?
I'm guessing Blume357 might be referring to the weight, they are heavier than most battle rifles today. Ever take one of these deer hunting? Just a wee bit different than a light weight bolt action LOL.

My brother has my Dad's NM in his safe, and I remember the 1st time I carried it in the swamp all day. The men that carried these in battle WERE tougher!...and they loved the Garrand. Combat proven tough and reliable...and fun as hell to shoot.:cool:

levallois

I was at the range awhile back with my H&R and there were 4 other Garand shooters there. Pings were happening all over the place - made all of us smile including the range master. My Garands always bring a smile to my face - wonderful rifles.

horseman308

I have a blast shooting my dad's at 300 meters on his steel silhouette range. I haven't gotten much of a chance to shoot it out to 500m, but I can't wait to try. I hunted with it this year on his place in TN, and it is pretty heavy. However, since I've been doing most of my gun hunting with a heavy flintlock that weighs about 9 lbs, the M1 isn't that bad to me.

kraigwy

I think you guys are actually selling the Surplus CMP M1s short.

I got mine in 1981 or 82 from then, DCM. I got it on a thursday, and the next day flew to Hawaii for a High Power Match. I figure "what the heck" and left my M1A home. The first shot I fired out of my M1 was the 200 yard slow fire sighters. I really didnt do that bad, even at 600 yards. I will confess I was useing M-72 (Mil '06 Match).

Anyway I took it home, took it a part and tweeked it a bit.

Try This: Pull the action out of the stock. You'll find shinny spots where the action makes contact with the action. Cut strips from a file folder and place a couple thickness on the shinny spots to kind of bed it. The put a couple strips where the trigger assembly snaps in place. You end up with a quick cheap bedding job and you'll be supprised how that will improve the shooting.

Then forget that cheap ball ammo. Get some new winchester brass, stuff in some 175 SMKs pushed by 47.5 grns of 4895, THEN go shoot that puppy at a 600 or 1000 yard match.

At the time I got mine I was running sniper schools for the nationa guard. We were using M1C/Ds. After tweeking my M1, as mentioned above, it was shooting every bit as good as those M1C/Ds out to 1100 yards.

I'm not saying these are gonna be sub minute guns, but you can get them to shoot about 2-3 MOA groups. Remeber the X-10 ring on the 600 and 1000 yard high power targets are 2 MOA, thats 12 inches at 600 and 20 inches at 1000.

You are selling these rifles short by not giving them a chance. You can say we ow or freedom to the M1 and those that used them. They deserve more then that.

DCM%20M1.jpg

Chris_B

I'm guessing Blume357 might be referring to the weight, they are heavier than most battle rifles today

Maybe he is. But let's not forget, in 1937, there was no AR15 to compare it to. A BAR was the the 'heavy' rifle. Lighter, bolt actions existed, but the firepower advantage of an M1 rifle was a desirable thing. If my life depended on an M1 rifle, I'm not so sure I'd complain about the weight, especially when the 100lb guy next to me was toting a .30 machine gun tripod AND his M1! An M1928 was heavy too. Hell, compared to modern pistols, an M1911A1 is heavy. That was then and this is now

Chris_B

I think you guys are actually selling the Surplus CMP M1s short.

Not me. I got the SA M1 rifle pictured from the CMP in '08. 595 bucks, delivered 14 days after ordering. Shoots well

m1rec.jpg

I saw five Springfield M1 rifles today at a pretty good shop, and they were all 900-1100 bucks and looked like they just came back from a swamp. They all had red wheel bearing grease slathered over the bolt lugs, dry wood, some with major repairs done to the stocks. CMP is OK in my book, although the wood on mine didn't look this good when I got it. Just needed some work

I urge some caution getting new .30-06 ammo to shoot in your M1 rifle though. Commercial .30-06, even target loaded .30-06 is not the M2 ball that your rifle is designed to shoot. I hope you've invested in an adjustable gas plug

SilentHitz

Lighter, bolt actions existed, but the firepower advantage of an M1 rifle was a desirable thing. If my life depended on an M1 rifle, I'm not so sure I'd complain about the weight
Oh hell, neither would I! Didn't take that many times toting my dad's to get used to it...I wasn't dragging it behind me on the ground, but I could tell I didn't have my Rem. 788 .308 slung over my shoulder LOL. I later bought a .54 caliber Renegade for BP season, and that sucker was heavier than the Garand.:eek:

I love the rifle myself, was just saying the 1st time some of the younger folks carry one, they may not be expecting the "heft" it has. Just wish I had ordered a Tanker model back when I had my FFL...Shotgun News was full of em', for cheap too.:( Of course you could buy surplus carbines and 1911s by the dozen too...good old days are gone now though.