M1 Garand whats the deal

mparris71

Hi,
I have found my self itching for a M1 Garand don't know much about them. would like some advise What's the price range for a good one? What to look for it be a good one?
MP

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Surplus Garands are available from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. They have a website. The rules and conditions are explained, there. I believe it's http://www.civilianmarksmanshipprogram.com or else http://www.cmp.com --I disremember...

A Garand with a decent barrel is a reasonably accurate, extremely reliable battle rifle with a helluva history. The mix of weight and being gas-operated means the recoil is not any big deal--and that makes them fun to shoot.

Hunt, plink, military-rifle competition, home-defense...Good critter for all of them.

Art

Bob G.

Springfield just came out with brand new Garands!! They cost more than DCM, but they are NEW. Wish I could get one and save my WW2 model for special occasions.
Try a Garand, you'll love it!
Bob

Destructo6

The problem with all of the new Garand receivers is that they're not forged like the originals. IIRC, they're all cast and some are of questionable quality.

The Garand rifles available through the Civillian Marksmanship Program at www.odcmp.com are GI originals and are typicall in good to excellent condition. You can buy a US GI M1 for $500 or a Danish version for $400, shipped directly to your door! You can download all of the forms and instructions from the website. I've purchase two and been quite happy.

Kernel

Springfield just came out with brand new Garands!!
Not entirely new. The wood, barrel, and foreign made cast receiver are new. All the other parts are 50 to 60 year old refinished milsurp (if your lucky) - modern day pacific rim copies if you not.

The SAI rifle is probably pretty decent but for less money you could repark an original CMP M1 and drop it into a new stock. You'd basically have the same thing plus the historical mystic of the real thing. -- Kernel

Chief Jones

The CMP Garands are nice and price isn't too bad. Or you could do like I did and do 20 in the Army and get one from the guys as a retirement present...:)

swampyMO

mparris,

Definitely go the CMP route.... Save original American historical rifles from the cruncher.

I own several and all are jewels.

To contact the CMP, go to: www.odcmp.com

Best regards,
Swampy

foghornl

To me, the M-1 Garand IS the finest battle rifles ever made

(asbestos underwear now installed)

I have a 1955-vintage IHC made M-1, the rifle is still capable of putting the national match ammo on a dinner plate at 900 yds. I can't think of too many other basic "service grade" rifles that can do that

Daryl Waldron

I have 3 cmp M1's. 1 is an outstanding rifle, 1 is in good cond, but the last one I got has problems. Remember CMP M1's will not always be in the best shape. You pay your money and take what shows up. Will i buy another CMP M1??,,,, yes.

Nightcrawler

Orion 7 has their battle grade rifle for $850.00:

"Battle grade. A fully functionable and serviceable genuine U.S.G.I. rifle. These rifles have nice sharp bright serviceable bores, original walnut stock and handguards, and have been fully inspected, test fired, and targeted for accuracy and reliability. All metal is good original U.S.G.I. finish and the wood shows honest wear with typical small dings and handling marks. Complete with sling, clips, and training manual. A sound, reliable, U.S.G.I. rifle at an affordable price! These rifles have genuine U.S.G.I. receivers (not foreign, commercial, or made up from "welded" halves). We test fire each and every one to assure you a quality rifle. Available in original 30-06 caliber only. A great value at $849.95 Only a few rifles remaining in stock!"

mparris71

? for you fine folks

Okay, I read the CMP. I am not a memeber of any cmp groups or are there any near here. What groups are you guys members of? okay what's a way I can prove I have shot fifty rounds? I have a handgun course certificate for CC but I think it was only a fourty round drill.
Chief Jones I thought aboubt signing on untill two of my older friends got in and I was told they were feed a bunch of BS to sign. I am just 22 I geuss I still could get drafted.
MP

bernie

If by chance you are a vet (even Reserve or Nasty Guard) that qualifies as the marksmanship requirement. This is how many people meet that specific requirement.

Ledbetter

Hello, Friends of the Garand

What I did was to buy one I saw pictures of (plenty of pictures) on

www.jouster.com

which is also a good place to get your M1 and CMP questions answered. Yes, there are forms. But there are other benefits like purchasing surplus ammo and spare parts. I, too, am not a member only out of sheer laziness. I would have to drive an hour and a half to shoot a match and get a scorecard. Sheesh. There is at least one member here at TFL who is just as lazy as me though. ;)

The one I bought was more than the CMP prices, but was not luck of the draw. It is a fine piece, IMHO. It is a 1942 SA with a 1950 SA barrel, apparently an arsenal rebarrelling and refinishing in 1950. After that it went to Denmark, although it bears no Danish markings. The rifle serial number is stamped into the bottom of the buttstock, from the pistol grip to the toe. There is only one part that isn't SA (it's BR) and I'm not telling where it is. :D

Do a Google search:

CMP match [your city or region]

Regards.:D

Destructo6

I believe the CMP's web site lists approved clubs by state. I joined the California Rifle and Pistol Association for this requirement. These clubs generally will have information on how you can satisfy the competition requirement, too. Often, loaner guns are available to those who don't have the required type.

Do it. Wade through the ankle-deep water to the satisfactory ending.

Kernel

MP,

The 40 rounds you shot for CC might qualify. Contact the CMP to find out. Contrary to popular belief you don't have to qualify by shooting in a Service Rifle match. The shooting requiment can be met by shooting .22 rimfires, pistols, even pellet rifles on a 10 meter indoor range (trap might also count but I'm not positive). As long as it's some kind of officially sanctioned target shooting event. Score dosn't matter. Technically you don't even have to hit the paper. You just have to participate. -- Kernel

Last edited: