M1 Garand purchase

bcarver

I bought an M1 Garand today.
Springfield Armory made on March 8th 1943.
It appears to have a new stock and barrel and aftermarket/non-original metal butt plate.
600 bucks.

10-96

Congratulations! Well, are you like the rest of us were- unable to put the thing down?

Do some digging around and get familiar with the points to grease, what ammo to use (or get an adjustable gas plug), and... well... go shoot that thing and let us know how she does!

zxcvbob

Was about to start a new thread on this topic

but decided to just piggyback instead. Not trying to hijack the discussion or anything...

I'm getting my paperwork together to purchase my first M1 Garand from the CMP (Service Grade H&R, no particular reason I picked H&R instead of SA.)

I know they make an attempt to honor reasonable requests attached to the order with a Post-It. I'm too ignorant to know what would be a reasonable request, if any. Got any suggestions? Probably high serial numbers is all they have left at this point.

I'm also ordering a spam can of the Greek .30-06 ammo in embloc clips. I have a .30 ammo can of Korean .30-06 ammo in emblocs already that I bought a year or two ago just cuz it looked like a good deal.

I'm headed off to the Notary rat now. Thanks.

lockedcj7

There isn't any correlation between what numbers are left at this point and how many have gone out the door. If you want a WWII gun, ask for it on a post-it note. If you want original wood, ask for it. I heard of one guy buying two. He asked that one be a Korean-era shooter and the other a WWII receiver. He got both.

Asking for one with new wood, matching dates on barrel and receiver or a 6 mil, that might be asking too much.

Just my .02.

dixiedawgjg

how do i know what it's worth

I have an M1 garand and no where to shoot, it was built in Aug of 1943 at Springfield and is in good shape. What should I ask for it.

10-96

We'd need way more info to even give you a ballpark starting point. Are ALL parts SA? What are the other parts? Are the stamps on the wood good, there at all? What shape is the bbl in? Has anything on it been bubba'd? Sorry, somebody could fling a price out there for ya- but nobody but the buyer would know if he hosed you or vece-versa. Your best bet might be to do a lot more looking up and studying and get a feel for current values of comparable rifles.