M1 Garand Problem

Hard Case

Chances are it is operator error but I wanted to tap the knowledge base here to see if I can get set straight. I would load up a bandolier of 8 rounds and load the Garand. After shooting three rounds, the bandolier tries to eject and I end up with several cartridges sticking out of the action and the bandolier half way ejected but still in the rifle. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Gewehr98

I've seen some of the 7th round stoppages in Garands, but none as early in the 8 rounds as yours. I'd post your question over at CSP Guntalk (www.jouster.com) and I'm sure you'll get the proper technical help. Oh, before you do post over there, that metal thingy that holds the 8 rounds of .30-06 together and is inserted in your Garand is called an en-bloc clip. A bandolier is a cloth strap with pouches to carry a bunch of those clips. That'll keep you outta trouble over there in M1 Garand territory...

Your clip latch spring may be weak (or short). Either way, this could cause your clip to eject prematurely. Check your follower rod. It could be tweaked, which would cause the clip latch to eject early too. Eyeball it for straightness. If not tweaked, the forks on the follower could be worn (which would yield the same result). Finally, check the depressor arm on the Op rod catch (that's the elbow portion which projects up and back).

The easiest way to check any of these parts is to compare them against new parts. If there is any difference, then you've found your culprit.