m1 garand....has arrived

fubsy

I feel like its my birthday....yeee ha....my answering machine had a msg for me when I got home yesterday that they were shipping it out that day and It arrived thismorning at 0830....can you say whoooooo raaaaaaa.....its a 900,000 range springfield, less wood---Ive a beutiful stock sitting here for it and am sending the chk off payday for the laminated one from boyds.......Ive lost track of when I sent the purchase forms in but it has been several months.....now to take one of the copies of the bill of sale and send off for my low cost can of gi ammo for the rifle....Ill check it out further on the bore and condition......you know ive probably owned 6 or 7 of these fine rifles and regret selling every one of them, they are the best deal on the planet..mine cost $325, less wood, that was only because I already had wood laying around, and I planned on restocking with a quality laminate. if you want a rifle complete and ready to go, you cant beat this rifle for the price....complete its $400.00 for the service grade.....that gives you a rifle capable of 8 rounds of 30-06 fired semi-automatically, many qualified armmors around for them and can be extremely accurate and rugged--the vaunted m1a is simply a mildly improved garand in a different caliber....guys order this wonderful battle rifle while you can.....In talking with the folks at cmp, it appears that there number of garands have finally reached arond the 100,000, they are distributing rifles at the rate of around 42k a year--that is a mix of .22's etc........unless the rifles that were lend leased are given back to the military so they can be used by this program they cant operate much longer......and you know they wont be giving out m1a's(durnit), or 1911's....so get up, suck it up and send in the $400.00 to own a working piece of Americian history--a rifle that can still be used to protect our freedoms....
rifle...$400.00
1 tin of 3006,,,280 rounds....$86.....
I like it...I like it a lot....fubsy.

[This message has been edited by fubsy (edited June 17, 1999).]

Congratulations fubsy. May it bring you many hours of shooting pleasure.

Now, for the rest of you, buy one - for the children.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

AR BLACK

Fusby! Excellent! I ordered my M1 from the CMP about two weeks ago, was told 8 week wait. How long did it actually take? Quite cool to be sent a rifle from the gummit. Where did you get the ammo from?

Blackie

www.odcmp.com

Rifle

Yep, I remember getting mine, too! Shooting Hi Power rifle competition, especially with the Garand is the most fun you can have with your pants on ('cuz they won't let you do it naked.)

Recommend getting a copy of the Hi Power rifle shooting seminar that the NRA sells. By all means get the latest Hi Power rule book from the competition division of the NRA too. Then order the full set of books from the Jarheadtop website.

Good look.

fubsy

gary,
it will be all it can be, its not a rile its an adventure...lol.....It is hard to explain how good it is to have one of these again, I dropping it off tomorrow a builder of competition rifles and let it look it over and make any adjustments necessary.....Ive decided to shoot this one with out competition accurizing---I might do that later...lol....
smile.gif

Blackie,
Ive lost track of when I actually ordered the rifle, but I believe it has taken around 12 weeks--they had storm damage at the arsenal and they say slowed em down some......yours is coming, you can call and check to see what stage its in, and they can tell you the serial nbr of the rifle assigned. Each rifle that is sold through cmp is allowed the purchase from cmp of one tin of 3006 cal, 280rds for $86.00, you have to send a copy of the receipt of purchase in order to buy the ammo.

Daren,
here is the number you need...(888) 267-0796 ....
civilian markmenship program
ATTN: Rifle sales
P.O. box 576
Port Clinton, OH., 43452
they will send you a packett, there is a web sight and I dont have the url at the moment...dont gag when you read the city name...

Rifle,
Ive shot the dcm matches a couple of times and had a blast(pun intended), shot em with mouse gun and garand...and your right the garand is grand.......Ill chk out the other stuff.......

fubsy.

Daren Thompson

Thanks , now I just have to buy it and get it in the safe without the wife finding out. That can be as much fun as shooting the rifle
smile.gif

Later
Daren

Fusby, not a bad idea on leaving it stock. you can have it as a plain old fashion shooter for the fun of it. If you want to accurize it, consider the NRA M1/M1A accurizing course if it is the two week one which includes both metal work and work work. The wood work one is OK, but the metal work really gets you into the nitty gritty.

Daren. You seem to have met the toughest gun control enforcer in the land: Mrs. Yep, never mind what the Feds will do or threaten to do.

------------------

fubsy

gary,
I had a chance this morning to watch ronnie work over that m1......he did everything but take the barrel off...lol...it has a throat wear of 3 and headspaces well, barrel is good and I watched this guy measure and fit parts till he had the right tolerances and fits between the stock parts......and this rifle is tight...it dosent rattle.....now if I can only live up to my part...lol.....

btw....on another note, while there Ronnie showed me a competition rifle that the individual had not full sized his brass and it slam fired prior to going into battery,,,thats one lucky shooter...the area at the back of the receiver underneath the serial number was missing......Ill be taking it very cautiously with the reloads.....fubsy.

fubsy

I just got back after a long day at a range Id never been to...the guy runs it on a honor system, You just put your five dollars in the mail box and go shoot....there is soda's in the ice box for 50c's each and spotting scopes to use and holsters for sale, just odds and ends and you know there is no attendent....strictly on the honor system....amazed me, that sort of thing is unheard of in todays society...

I shot accross the bench at 250-300 yards and once the rifles were dialed in I remembered how to do my part in spite of these ageing eyes.....I was wearing some bowlingpins out....that .30 cal., is the tickett......I did encounter a couple of problems, and Im not sure its the rifle it could have been the clips, a couple of times about 5, the bolt overroad the top round....so Ill let ronnie look at it againl.....but this one is a keeper...

I also took my time and broke in that new bushmaster carbine.....it took a little bit to dial that thing in, but It did real well at those yardages, by the time I got to it...id been several hours and was probably not at my best.......there was a man with a colt flattop that he'd installed a leuopold on, I watched him repeatedly break clays at 300 yds witht that thing and at 250yds engage and rapidly hit bowling pins........
time to clean everything and put things up....Im more convinced then ever that if you dont know how to shoot a rifle, you need to learn......later fubsy.

fubsy

blackie,
sure ya can, and bring your own rifle (you'll have it soon), and we both can shoot some pins....lol....seriously it was a blast I dont know where you live or how much expeerience you have gun schmidting the garand, but I can recommend some one and it didnt cost me a fortune either....I had intended to send the rifle to another state and let this man build this rifle basically exactly what ronnie did with one exception I was going to have him put on national match sights......and the wait time for was 3-4mos and the cost was $250 with out the sights......In discussing this with some shooting friends they all looked at me like i was nuts and reminded me of ronnie, up to this point I had never used his services, but Id been hearing about him for years--nd what I heard was true. This area in Tennessee is loaded with tallented rifle shooters and a good share of unique and qualified gunsmiths---when i leave here Im sure gonna miss that.....fubsy.

Sounds like you had a great time fubsy. 250-300 yard range? You're one lucky fellow.

------------------

fubsy

Gary,
I was surprised myself I wasnt sure the distance was that far...but I got the chance to meet the owner and those are his words...he got there after Id been there a few hours and had time to range in on those pins....he was suprised that they were all knocked down.......all so that range is not large at all only a few points and it offers a short downhill shooting opportunity and the longer range is uphill accross a small ravine....probably the best range in our area is the Gallatin steam plants range they have covered shooting points, a 300yd range, shoot skeet,and the place is loaded with deer they wont let you cull, its a private club---so far Oakridge had the best I ve been to and the one down south of me is right nice as well those two have the dcm matches and qualifiers .......fubsy.

GLV

All, FYI, mailed my paperwork on May 19th, got my Garand on June 18th. A fantastic Springfield, 5,3xx,xxx a post war gun, 85+% stock, 95% metal, and 99% bore. Will shoot it Thursday. GLV

fubsy

glv,
All right.......what grade was that?, I cant wait till next year to order another one......I havent been this excited about anything in a long time.......lol.....fubsy.

Jeff Thomas

I've just joined one of CMP's approved organizations. That plus the cash is required, along with some competition, no? How many times do I need to compete before I can send off for my rifle? While I have some honest interest in competition, what is the quickest way to meet CMP's requirements? Are there any other requirements I'm forgeting?

fubsy, congrats on your rifle. Have fun!

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited June 22, 1999).]

fubsy

In order to qualify I just had to shoot once qualifying match,,I forget the number of rounds, it was an allday affair, which was ok by me......the best answer for you is to get the m1 packett from the cmp and read it...its not hard, as you can substitue various criteria for others....such as I sent my dd214 in lieu of the qualifing match verification...fubsy.