M1 Garand Ammo?

tdmoparguy

What 30-06 ammo can you shoot in an M1 Garand? Can you only shoot Mil-surp or can you shoot new ammo?
Thank You
Tom Dooley

Jimro

Don't shoot Hornady Light Magnum through a Garand.

I'd stick with 150 grain bullets as they are closest to the 147gr FMJ M2 loading the Grarand is regulated for.

Jimro

GregM

Hornady makes a Garand load, but i've never shot it. Best advice is to find a can of M2 ball surplus at a gun show. While your shooting all that up, be sure and make friends with some guy at the range that reloads and ask nicely if he'd reload all your brass for you. I wouldn't shoot commercial ammo in any Garand that I liked....but some people do, at least for a while.

GregM

horatioo

Why can't you shoot any 30.06 ammo out of a Garand? What makes some ammo bad and how does it show itself as bad?

Thanks

robmkivseries70

Quote, "Why can't you shoot any 30.06 ammo out of a Garand? What makes some ammo bad and how does it show itself as bad?"
Thanks
Horatioo,

Hi Horatioo,
The pressure curve generated by the gasses from firing some modern ammo is wrong for the M1. In general it is too powerful and can damage the operating parts. One of the adjustable gas plugs can be set up to bleed off the excess pressure for a particular type of ammo. If you buy a new type of ammo then go through the pressure regulation setup again. Mine has insert-able plugs with about 5 different hole sizes. Always start with the largest hole size and work down until you get reliable function. I personally wouldn't shoot anything over 150 gr. in weight either, but that's me.
Best,
Rob

horatioo

Rob,

it is so cool to want to know something, ask and get a good quick answer.
This forum is great.

Thanks for the answer

Ozzieman

Schuster adjustable Gas Plug. +1
I have shot thousands of commercial Federal 150 and 180 Gr Hi shok soft points out of my grand over the past 10 years with a Schuster with no problems. I had the gun inspected by a very good Grand expert at a large gun show near where I live. He was an X military gunsmith working for the NRA at shows and was giving free inspections of Grands, he said that mine was in very good shape and he agreed that commercial is ok with an adjustable plug. There very easy to install and set up.

Ivan

Most companies make a 150 grain FMJ load that is more or less suitable. Just keep in mind though that there is a nominal (2800 fps) velocity and the REAL velocity. When I chronographed Lake City 1967 and 1968 M2 Ball ammunition through a Garand, I was getting more like 2600-2650 fps.

I was able to achieve the same velocities with EXCELLENT accuracy using 48.5 to 49.5 grains of IMR 4895 IIRC. Check your manual before using this load!!!!

- Ivan.

zenmtnman

Ivan, what primers and bullets were you using for that recipe? If you don't mind me asking. I'm one of those nice guys at the range who reload for some friends, one of which lets me use his Garand occasionally in exchange for several boxes of custom loads. I'm currently trying to work up accurate loads for this friend. So far he's shot a box of IMR 4895 (47.5 gr) under a Hornaday 150 grain FMJ, with a CCI #34 LR Primer, and a box of the same load up, with 48 gr instead of 47.5, but I'm still waiting for his range report. I won't know much until then, but I always like to look for new mixes.
Thanks!