M1 carbine

10mm man

Finally got a chance to shoot my AO M1 this holiday weekend. I went to Atlanta to visit the grandkids. My son took me to a range where they have 2 rifle lanes.
I have had the rifle for about a year and haven't had the opportunity to fire it. Had trouble chambering rounds from all magazines but a small tweak with needlenose pliers on the feedlips solved that.
What a riot. Just wish ammo was more readily available.

JWT

They're fun little guns to shoot. I've had feed problems with one magazine and just picked up a couple new ones that I haven't tried. Ammo availability is a defnite issue although I've found a few boxes on some of the local stores.

I put myself on the notification list with Natchez and have found that the easiest way to buy ammo without constantly checking the various sites. Have also ordered some from Cabela and let them put me on back order for a week or so.

paladin-34

the M1carbine is a keep their heads down gun. so when i bring mine to the range we bring plastic milk cartons throw them on the back stop (110yds) and you loose your turn when the carton stops moving. great fun.

Joe

Sixer

I love my M1... just an all around enjoyable gun to shoot! The ammo issue is what got me into reloading. I also got really lucky last week and scored 400rds of 30 carbine factory ammo for $100. Heck, I dont think I could reload 400rds for that price!

iamdug

M1...

Sweet. Do you know if there's any 10/22 kits to make em look like an M1? I got about six a these Rugers and I'm getting kits like crazy. Now it looks like Im in the frikin Mafia! :D Haven't been able to find an M1 kit yet, though, not in Cabela's anyway.

Doc TH

The carbine is a great gun that has been much maligned by questionable and marginally reliable "stories" about terminal ineffectiveness.
Recall this was not intended as a primary front-line infantry weapon but as a (superior) substitute for a handgun. The fact that it was indeed utilized as a primary weapon by many troops, particularly the airborne and by many small-group units in the Pacific, indicates that it was more successful than expected. The SAS adopted the M1 carbine in 1943.
The German MP-38 and the Russian PPsH were commonly used as front line weapons and both of those fired much less effective cartridges than the 110 gr bullet at 1900-1950 fps. It is just as good today.

closetgunnut

iamdug

"Sweet. Do you know if there's any 10/22 kits to make em look like an M1? I got about six a these Rugers and I'm getting kits like crazy. Now it looks like Im in the frikin Mafia! Haven't been able to find an M1 kit yet, though, not in Cabela's anyway."

Not a kit, but I built this one this past winter.
RugCarb1.jpg

All you need is an old carbine stock (with metal), a Dremil, some sanding drums, glass bedding and some patience.

PM me if you want more info.

Closet

blume357

I know its sacrilege, but I put a Choate folding stock on my

M1 along with a scout rail and she is a pretty little spruced up old lady now.

hodaka

I have always avoided them, expecting Mini14 accuracy with a weak pistol round. Boy was I wrong. The year I acquired a Winchester from the CMP. Stock sights and 50+ yr eyes and I can shoot pop cans at 100yds off of a rest. It is my bench rest carbine.:) I also like being able to carry 15 rounds in a magazine the size of a small cell phone. This is a very practical SD rifle.

I'll just be glad when this ammo/brass thing loosens up.