M1 Carbine trigger group slop

Tacoma

HI All, Ive got a 2nd model Winchester M1 Carbine that is a joy to own and shoot but has a slight " anoyance issue". The trigger assembly/group has some slop where it dovetails to the receiver. This causes some felt play in the whole lower group. It doesn't seem to effect accuracy but it bothers me. Anyway , I'm guessing that since there were 6 million + of these made ,there is an accepted way to stake or shim the mating surfaces so they fit tighter so thought I'd ask.
Any thoughts welcome.

claymore1500

I have an underwood, with the same slop that you are talking about.

While I have no answer for you, I believe tha slop is somewhat normal, since every one I have ever handled had it. Maybe I am wrong, So I will be watching this thread closely (Maybe I will learn something)

RickB

I have to use a mallet to drive the trigger group onto my Quality Hardware receiver. That's the only G.I. Carbine I've ever shot, so don't know if it's normal, or not?

Dfariswheel

Loose trigger groups in the Carbine are normal.

If it really bugs you, you can tighten it up but......
WARNING: You work on the trigger group NOT THE RECEIVER.
Some people try to bend or peen the receiver lugs and are shocked when they just snap right off.

To tighten you carefully peen the REAR "Tee" mounting lug on the trigger group.
To do this, tap down on the top of the "Tee" to slightly bend down the area to grip the lugs on the receiver tighter.
Tightening the fit on the rear will eliminate much of the looseness.
Don't try to do the front trigger group lugs because they too snap right off.

Best advice: A loose trigger group is a "feature" of the Carbine. Don't alter a USGI Carbine. Peening will reduce the value.

DnPRK

Its a temporary fix, but I make a shim out of aluminum soda can. Bend the shim in a squared-off "U" shape and trap it between the receiver lug and "T" of the trigger group. You only have to shim one side. It takes the slop out without altering USGI parts.

claymore1500

Loose trigger groups in the Carbine are normal

Good enough for me, Like I said, I thought it was normal, but never bothered to really look into it as it seems to have no effect on it's operation.

Travlin

Easy fix

You can also take a thin wire and wrap it around the lug on the receiver. Easy to do and stays in place. Heard about this from an old time M1 collector.

Tom2

Yes, you can reduce it by peening the T on the rear of the trigger housing, unless you make it obvious with a lot of dents or looking bubba or something, I don't see that reducing value much.(You don't want it real tight fitting) The shim idea might be fine and easier, as long as it is something that will stay in place, not dislodge and get stuck in the guts. Actually, alot of the time, the snugness of the fit of the trigger group to the stock cutout reduces or even eliminates the problem. Maybe all the original stocks were a good enough fit to reduce this, but wear and tear and sanding loosened things up a bit. Mine will wiggle out of the stock but is stationary with the carbine assembled.