M1 Carbine: Sling attatchment question...

Remmy

Checking on a part for a friends universal carbine he got. Ive looked at e-gunparts and fulton-armory but really dont see what im looking for. I dont really know the name which is part of the problem. But its the metal dowel i think is what im after...that sits in the rear of an m1 carbines stock so that a sling may be attatched to the gun. Could anyone point me in the direction i need to go in to go about getting this part?

And if anyone has any good leads to a cheap leather sling other than fulton armory's for $20 bucks...let me know.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/RussetSling-400_50.jpg

Dfariswheel

A "heads-up" to save you some money.

The leather sling you referenced WILL NOT fit the M1 Carbine.
These Model 1905 type slings are for use on rifles that have standard sling swivels.
These slings are 1 1/4" wide, where the Carbine sling is ONE inch wide.
The Carbine uses the oiler as the rear attachment for the sling, and only the GI-type canvas sling will work.

Also note that the GI canvas sling is a major PITA to put on the Carbine UNLESS you know the "trick".

The "trick" is to snap the end with the "Lift the Dot" fastener to the front sling swivel.

Put the rear of the sling with the metal tab through the slot in the stock, and hold it to the REAR of the slot.

Drop the oiler into the slot, then loop the sling around the oiler and insert it back through the slot in FRONT of the oiler.

This may be tight, but there's just enough room to pass the metal tab, but ONLY at the front.

So, what you need is a GI OD canvas Carbine sling and oiler set.
The link above shows the correct sling and oiler.

Ken O

I borrowed a M1 Carbine to shoot this years first Carbine match at the Nationals. It didnt have a sling or mags, I found them at Sportsmans Guide.

Here is a link:
Sling and oiler

UniversalFrost

like the others said you have to use the canvas sling and yes the metal dowel is called an oiler, because that it is what is :D Also +1 on the rear being a pain in the rear to get on if you don't know what you are doing. I got a couple of slings and oilers from gunbroker, but have seen them on ebay, auctionarms, sportsmansguide, etc.... Lots of times you will find them sold seperately for about the price you can get both (I paid 15 each for a pair of unissued GI slings and oilers).

SOSARMS

Sarco & Jack First might be good options to try, but they can be found at most any military gunshow......

Remmy

Thanks for the great help here.

So is there an oiler and leather sling combo out there...are the leather slings just not the norm or not compatible at all with the m1's and oiler's? Whats the deal on this...

UniversalFrost

I am sure you could find some sort of aftermarket leaher sling that would work, but the gi spec and issued slings were not leather.

Dfariswheel

The problem with leather is, it's just too thick to use in the GI Carbine, which was designed to use canvas.
Leather slings are simply too thick to physically fit into the slot.

While you could use a modified leather sling, it'd mean altering your stock, which on an original USGI Carbine is an absolute NO-NO.

UniversalFrost

One work around would be to replace the oiler with either a small wooden dowel or piece of metal rod that is a much smaller diameter than the oiler. This way you could fit one of the 03' style leather slings through the rear mount hole. Just an idea, but the m1 carbine slings and oilers are cheap and there are loads of mil surp or reproductions out there.
Also like Dfarris said, altering a good military stock is sacralige and would signifigantly alter the value of the gun.

Another alternative woulb be to get a ramline or one fo the many other aftermarket stocks that has normal sling mounts installed.

Remmy

I was after this for an older gentleman who actually carried one of the m1's during war time. He thought he remembered a "metal" piece down there...the oiler, and specified he wanted a leather sling too. This is the only reason ive been trying to go a backwards route here. I guess ill have to break the news to him about the nylon/cord slings. After reading up on these universal's and finding mostly bad news i hope he doesnt find himself wishing he hadnt traded the makarov .380 for the m1... although i handled it and it seemed like a tight little gun.

Again, thank all of you for the helpful and insightful info! :)

Dfariswheel

Since it's a commercial Universal and not a USGI Carbine, you can go ahead and open up the stock for a leather sling without fear of ruining the value.

Where you need to open it is where the beveled "ramp" meets the oiler slot.

Simply file a little wood away at that point to make more room for a thicker leather sling to pass.

There are 1" inch military type leather slings available:
http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplat...y=1279575&subcatky1=4548806&subcatky2=2000204

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9038&s=22116