M1 Carbine Questions

scorpion_tyr

Looking at an ad for an M1 Carbine, seller says it's made by Iver Johnson Arms.

Anyone know an approximate value for one with a 30 round magazine? Condition seems good except a little rust on the barrel and the rear sight is broken.

Anything specific with these guns I should look for when I check it out?

overland

I am pretty sure Iver Johnson did not make military M1's. The CMP is officially out of carbines for regular sale and has no plans on receiving any more. They are auctioning off their remaining stock of carbines currently, however they are being bid up to 2-3 times as much as they used to sell them for at one price. If you are willing to pay $1200 and up, you can get a CMP carbine.

Rob3

I bought my Khar/Auto-Ordinance M1 for $600 brand new about two years ago. Some say they are not as good as the GI ones but that may give you an idea of what to expect price-wise. Mine seems to be made extremely well but I am embarassed to say I have never shot it.

bottom rung

Iver Johnson is not an original M1 carbine maker. It may have some USGI parts, but it was not made for the military.

I think your going to have to give a ball park price of what you want to pay. I would say somewhere between $500 and $600, would be fair so long as the barrel is not destroyed and everything appears to work.

M1 Carbine parts are abundant on Gunbroker and egunparts(Numerich). Those are just two websites with parts.

Civillian carbines are a mixed bag. Could be good, could be bad. Virtually all of them are very serviceable.

I have an IAI. It is a civillian made gun, but it is littered with USGI parts. I had to do some work to it to get it functioning correctly. It was cheaper than a USGI carbine and I won't feel too bad about harming a non-historical piece. Hope that helps, Steve

Last edited:

Texnmidwest

Iver Johnson carbines should be had for between 450 and 500 bucks. Not as good as USGI carbines but could be good plinkers!

PIGMAN

I OWNED SEVERAL WAR SURPLUS M-1 CARBINES DURING THE 1970's. THE ONLY SEMI AUTO FIREARMS READILY AVAILABLE AT THE TIME WITH A HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE WAS THE M1A1,THE COLT AR-15,THE THOMSON SMG AND THE M-1 CARBINE.IN THOSE DAYS A GOOD COPY OF THE M-1 COULD BE HAD FOR AROUND $150 SO FOR THE PRICE THEY WERE VERY POPULAR FOR PERSONAL DEFENCE.

TODAY THEY ARE A PIECE OF HISTORY AND HAVE BECOME COLLECTABLE.SOME OF THE MOST DESIRABLE COPIES WERE MADE UNDER CONTRACT BY WINCHESTER,ROCKOLLA AND SINGER SEWING MACHINE.

THE .30 CARBINE CARTRIDGE IS BASICALLY A HANDGUN ROUND AND IS OK FOR VARMINT SMALL GAME HUNTING AND PERSONAL DEFENCE AS LONG AS NOTHING ELSE IS AVAILABLE.

FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN COLLECTABILITY GET A MINI-14 OR AN AK.PLUS THE AMMO IS CHEAPER.

eddyb74

I have one, it's a good plinker but not the same quality as the GI issue ones.

Last years blue book puts it at $285 in 100% and $130 at 60%. With rust and a broken part you're gonna be closer to 60% IMHO.

HKGuns

The CMP is out of carbines, except for the auctions and they are going for pretty big $$. You missed your opportunity early last year when they still had them in stock.

The Carbine you are looking at is a post war imitation that I wouldn't consider buying. It is worth having the real deal if you want a carbine. I suspect you can find them from time to time on one of the auction sites.

bottom rung

If the "el cheapo imitation" works, its worth shooting. IAI, Plainfield, and Iver Johnson all made some good carbines and some bad carbines. If they work great, if it doesn't, dump it. I don't understand this idea of "the only carbines worth getting are USGI". That doesn't make any sense. My IAI isn't the greatest, but it has zero historical value. When it goes kaputz, there will be no regret. If your looking for history and quality, buy a USGI. If your looking to plink, buy the Iver.

I stand corrected, my price estimations were way off.

Tallyman

Iver Johnson carbines are commercial versions of the military M1 carbine.

The .30 carbine cartridge is a lightweight rifle cartridge, similar to the 32 H&R magnum.

If you are planning on going into combat tape two 15 round magazines together. For hunting and plinking I prefer a 5 round magazine that fits flush to the bottom of the stock.

I prefer shooting this cartridge in my Ruger Blackhawk .30 carbine revolver. For a handgun, it reaches out for long shots.

Tallyman

Definitely worth $220. . . .you can buy new magazines pretty cheap and after cleaning it up it should work OK.

If you can't find a rear sight on eBay or in the firearms classified section of KSL.com, you can buy a scope mount pretty reasonable.

This carbine will keep you entertained until the right one comes along.

Deaf Smith

The seller says it has problems with the mag, but the 30 rounder may very well be cheap junk (there were alot of GI 30 round knockoffs that are JUNK!)

The front sight looks like it was roll pin'ed in. That is another thing to investigate.

But for $220... yea if I needed another M1 Carbine, I'd get it.

Just check the bore for rust and take the action out of the stock and look underneith.

It it has one recoil spring, it's GI, if two, it's Universal style.

You want as close to GI as you can get.

Deaf