m1 carbine price check

tackdriver

I have a May 1944 Inland I bought a couple of years ago restored with from-the-factory correct parts. I'm down to the safety, which should be in the mail, and the gas piston, which I'm not fooling with for fear of ruining something. In other words, I'm close to being ready to sell it.

For the basics, it has a type-II rear sight and type-II barrel band. There is a small wear mark on top of the barrel near the proof mark from sliding the barrel band on and off for disassembly. I have an IO stock, but no crossed cannons remaining. While I also have a correct oiler, I don't have a sling and I'm not planning on getting one since I don't think I would get my money back out of it. I have one correct AI magazine, one MN mag (WWII originals) and three reliable promags. This was originally a CMP service-grade carbine.

The problem is, the CMP is no longer selling them outright and it has sent prices all over the map. The plan to buy an Underwood has been abandoned. I have no idea what to ask for it or what my bottom dollar price should be.

Any help is appreciated.

overland

I bought a rack grade one from the CMP just days before they officially ran out for $475. It is in very good condition and fires well. Good bore, muzzle, stock was in good, but not great shape, most of the finish intact. After a good cleaning, it functioned fine especially with Remington ammo.

While the CMP officially ran out, they are STILL auctioning off carbines regularly with starting bids at $500 that are quickly being run up to $1200 and more. They list about ten every week or so. They are making a boatload of cash off these auctions instead of selling them to the CMP buyers at a fixed price through their standard mail order system.

I'd suggest you look on gun broker or similar gun auction web sites for "CMP" carbine prices. That should give you a good idea of what others are willing to pay for them. I suspect it is a lot less than the CMP auction prices being paid by over eager buyers.

Last edited:

Chris_B

Hi tackdriver

I can't venture to guess on value. That's a thing for photos and ideally, seeing in the flesh on something you've taken the time to restore

But on the CMP prices- I disagree that the CMP prices are a yardstick for anything but CMP prices. CMP pricing does not dictate fair market value. I think that many people have heard so much about CMP pricing and what a great deal it is that they believe that what the CMP charges is the maximum they can expect to pay for a similar rifle. I think that's very odd logic, especially with carbines

#1, you're not selling this rifle to promote marksmanship. Congress didn;t give you a bunch of rifles to sell to the populace. You're a private seller and that changes the game and the rules

#2, the CMP isn't offering them anymore so they could have offered them for 5 bucks each, and it still isn't a great deal on 13DEC10 because they don't have any to sell!

tackdriver

CMP pricing does not dictate fair market value.

Amen. Some people don't realize or care that you can't get a $500 carbine from the CMP anymore. They know their beater cost $450 and that's all they want to pay.

I am more than happy to email a link to my Flickr account. You used to be able to just post a link, but now I have to send you a "pass."

salvadore

I looked at a 43 Underwood at Big 5 Yesterday in good/very good condition, original stock with inspection or whatever marks and probably a painted on arms room number from whatever country Century imported it from. Anyway it had a sale price of $699.00 and if I wanted another nice carbine I would have pucked it up. They also had a Winchester in poorer condition for $999. FIO.

kymasabe

My local pawnshop has some beat up M1 carbines for $400 to $500. A large local gunshop has a decent one for $500 and I just sold my really nice National Postal Meter M1 carbine for $600 locally, went with 4 new korean made KCI mags.