M1 carbine changes

STAGE 2

Could someone tell me why the change as made between the round bolt and the flat bolt and which one was later in time.

Dfariswheel

The flat bolt was first.

The round bolt was adopted late in production, late 1944 early '45.
It was originally intended for the M2 full-auto carbine because it was easier to make, stronger, and helped slow the cyclic rate down.

Since it was faster/cheaper to make, and better, it was usually installed during re-builds of standard M1 carbines.

T. O'Heir

The round bolt was adopted to ease production. It takes less time to machine and used fewer steps. The Carbine was originally FA. That was dropped then re-introduced.

Dfariswheel

"So is strength the only non-production advantage with having a round bolt on a standard m1 carbine?"

On an M1 Carbine, the round bolt offers no real advantage at all.
It was developed as a easier and faster to make design, and the extra weight helped slow the M2 full-auto cyclic rate.
Since there was no reason to manufacture two designs, the round bolt was simply declared to be the new standard for all Carbines very late in the war.

If you're asking whether you should replace a flat bolt with a round bolt, the answer is NO, because there's no advantage, plus bolts are not just "drop in" they have to be checked by a gunsmith with head space gages to be sure the replacement bolt is compatible.
Plus, the flat bolt is probably the original bolt, and is more "correct" for a WWII issue Carbine.

Best advice: Leave it alone.

STAGE 2

Actually its just the opposite. I have an arsenal reworked GI carbine with a round bolt and was thinking about replacing the round bolt with a flat one. It just kinda looks wierd there to me.