M1 Carbine Bolt Hold

TunnelRat

Hi all,
This past weekend I picked up an M1 Carbine from a local gun store. It's a Plainfield in what seems like very good condition. Rifling is very sharp, mechanically it seems fine, and it had a nice walnut stock and bayonet lug. At the range it performed pretty well, I have never shot an M1 Carbine before and it was pretty fun. I had some magazine related issues but that one mag is basically junk and I knew that going in. The other mag performed very well.

My question is on the bold hold button. Now the bolt locks open on last round anyway, but the range I shoot at is pretty insistent on mags out, bolts locked open when possible (chamber flags are an option for AKs, etc.) when people are going down range. Luckily I was there by myself, as I had a bear getting the bolt hold button to work. It's very inconsistent. It will work 100% about 15% of the time. I just can't get that button to depress sometimes, and when it does I'm never sure what caused it to actually depress that time. Any tips on the method to do this? I've run Garands and M1As before and never had an issue. Maybe there is something I can disassemble and clean/lubricate? The gun was pretty dry when I bought it.

Thanks,
-TR

9uc

Even though I've owned an Inland M1 for several years, I've never had a problem with the bolt hold button. Hopefully the resident gun smiths will chime in, and if not there is an M! forum on line. Just an additional note, on emptying the mag, mine will only stay open on the 30 round mags.

TunnelRat

Yea that was an issue I found on mine staying open as well. From what I could tell the 10 rounder I had has the same follower, but the spring pressure was terrible and the follower was tilting like a madman. I finally gave up on it and used the 30 rounder solely. Thanks for the tip on the forum, I might give it a look. I'm really baffled as to what could be the issue, more so that when it does work it works perfectly. The darn button just won't always depress.

madmo44mag

If I recall and this was years ago the spring that holds tension on the slide lock pin may be broke.
Some times everything lines up and other times the broken spring binds and keeps the pin from going fully into the notch on the receiver.
The other issue I have run across is the detente is worn or the pin is worn and the pin just slide out because the action has more forward force than the worn notch / detente can hold or the rounded pin can hold.
Just a guess without having it apart.

TunnelRat

Thanks madmo. I am pretty sure it's not the detent, it doesn't appear worn out. It's getting that button to depress. When it won't go down it doesn't even compress slightly, it just won't move. A broken spring might be just what it is. I ordered a replacement from Wolff so hopefully I can figure out how to disassemble and replace it.

I found out a little more about the M1. From the serial number it was made between 1962 and 1965, the first batch of the M1 Carbines made by Plainfield and advertised as Plainfield Machine. The markings on the parts I can see match up to late WWII or after the war GI parts. I'm pretty happy.

Edit: I found out the problem with the one magazine. It was tilting way too much so I disassembled to see if it was binding or something. The guy who owned it before must have lost or broken the previous magazine spring and replaced it with a pistol magazine spring. It's neither the right size or dimension. I ordered a replacement spring from Wolff and it should be gtg.

Dfariswheel

To activate the bolt hold-open, pull the op rod all the way back, press down FIRMLY on the hold-open button, and ease the op rod forward.

When the op rod is in the right position the hold-open should engage the cut in the receiver rail and hold the bolt back.
Note that even a light bump or jar will allow the bolt to slam shut.... Keep your fingers out of the action.

To replace the hold-open spring:
Put a finger over the hole on the inside of the op rod and use a punch to push the hold-open downward and out of the op rod.

Remove your finger and pull the spring out of the op rod.
Clean both holes thoroughly, dry and lubricate the holes new spring, and hold-open.

Insert the spring in the hole inside the op rod and push it in with a small screwdriver.
Insert the hold-open with the reduced end facing DOWN and push it up into it's hole in the op rod, making sure to keep the spring compressed until the button slips past it.

The hold-open should move up and down freely under spring pressure.

TunnelRat

Dfariswheel you are my hero! :D

Do you have a recommended guide or video for the disassembly? I can pick up one of the CMP guides at a local gun store. Some of the videos I watched seemed okay, but one had parts remaining at the end and the other was sort of far away from the camera. This seemed like a decent guide:

http://candrsenal.com/disassembly-m1-carbine/

TunnelRat

Thanks to both of you for the tips! I should have the new spring this weekend and I will update if that solves my problem.