M1 accuracy

Khornet

Sorry to keep boring people with my M1 infatuation, but.......well, you know. This H&R receiver/SA op rod, trigger group/SA 1964 barrel rifle shoots 2 1/2" at 100 yd with LC66 m2 ball, and with my inital handload of 4064/48.5 gr/147 FMJBT/F210 primer shoots 1 1/2". Unmodified. Amazing for a service rifle. Now, the question: what basic things can I do to increase accuracy?

I've read Scott Duff's owner's manual, and one other M1 book. I've glass-bedded several bolt guns with success but M1 looks more complicated, so I'm looking for other approaches first. Yes, it's probably silly since it seems to shoot so well, but the 2 1/2" ball groups consist of 5 rd in 1" and three others opening the group to 2 1/2" and I'd like to fix that.

swampyMO

khornet,

Two books you gotta' get...

"Precision Shooting, with the M1 Garand" by Roy Baumgardner is an excellent read with lots of stuff the home tinkerer can do to increase the accuracy potential of his M1. Can be had from Sinclair and Champions Choice.

"The M1 Rifle" an NRA reprint publication. Available from the NRA bookstore. Also lots of basic info as well as accurizing tips for the do-it-yourselfer.

If you are a bit more on the technically proficient end, get Jerry Kuhnhausen's "U.S. .30 Cal. Gas Operated Service Rifles" Shop Manual. Everything you could ever want to know about full bore advanced gunsmithing of the M1 and M14, including accurizing.

Enjoy,
Swampy

leej

I suggest you send your M1 Garand in for a full accuracy job. Springfield armory will do this for you and after you get it back if you use the 168 grain sierra match bullet with 4895 powder (a classic load) you will easily, easily achieve 1 inch or even smaller groups at 100 yards.

HankL

Khornet, The M1 is a little more labor intensive to bed even when compaired to the M14 but if you look through the books suggested by swampy you will see what needs to be done. Some small undercuts in the metal will need to be addressed. Trigger work, bedding and sights will help some. Unitizing "SP?" the front handguard will help some but is a little more complicated and will require you to learn special handling of your rifle as well.
You have a great shooting rifle, bedding it would be the first step
IMHO.