M1-A ??

KML

I just picked up a m1-a and have a few questions.It came with a loaded coupon that is date must use by 12/31/99 is springfied still accepting thes coupons?rifle left 11/26/99 according to there shipping tag.It also states this m1a has been headspaced to 1.6315,according to the current gi specs.This headspace requires the use of gi mil spes ammunition or good commercially manufactured ammunition(such as federal or pmc)that meets gi specs,which commercially manufactured ammo is best to use,also which surplus?

I am happy overall with this rifle but i am surprised that a rifle that cost this much does not come with a cleaning kit or sling and just one 5rd mag.I have not had a chance to fire this yet so i just hope half of what i hear about this rifles accuracy is true.

KEVIN

Destructo6

They probably mean that you should use 7.62 NATO, not commercial .308. I'm not an expert on the differences, but the 7.62 NATO's case thickness is supposed to be slightly thicker to allow it to expand fully in loose military chambers. The thin cased .308 may have a tendency (though probably unlikely) to split cases.

I just picked up a couple of 200 round battle packs of Hirtenberger 7.62 NATO for $35 each. There's a ton of surplus 7.62x51 on the market. Hirtenberger (German), Portugese, South African (PMP ;and others), Israeli, British (Radway Green), Venezuelan (Cavim), Chilean (yuck), and Indian (double yuck) are all currently on the market. You can usually tell the source by the box markings or just by asking.

Alan B

M-14 mags are expensive especially 20 rounder ones.. My recomendation is you order some from Cole Dist before they run out and things get real expensive. Cole sells them cheaper than Springfield and guess where springfield got theirs.
http://www.cole-distributing.com/specials.html

They brought in 40k last april and had 20 k left in december. (since then no one has been granted a licence to reimport old US Gov Mags) The non GI mags are not worth the price (USA Magizines) and contrary to popular belief none of the 10 or 5 rounders GIs were made as 5 0r 10 round mags. All the 5 and 10 round mags are actually 20 round GI Mags that were cut down at some time. (same spring same followers and same base plat only the length is different) You can find them for around $25 each but why when you can buy 20s from cole in good condition for $32. (one 10 round mag per gun is nice but more why)

Yes spec for 308 Winchester is hotter than 7.62 nato and you should use 7.62 NATO Ammo. But you can buy 7.62 nato spec ammo for $.16 a pop and 308 Winchester for $.50 to $1 a round. Its not a hard choice.

Last year they did honor the loaded coupons after the cutoff date Call them.

In reality the M1A/M14 are chambered a little losser than 308 Winchester spec. Mainly so the rifle will digest any ammo its feed, easily. I have noticed that the spent brass from my Match Barrel has almost as much streach as that fired from a M-60 machine gun. And when I had a second bolt head spaced for my gun both bolts were on the tight side of the spec.

The best Deal on the loaded coupon (if its still there) is the ANPVS-2 night scope and mount for $400 NAIT sells the thing for $595 with out the mount.

Now at night I can see.

If you have any more question let me know.

theprisoner

KML, I just picked my M1A loaded today too. Before I bought it I had the same question about the loaded coupon as well. Below is the e-mail response I got from Springfield Armory. I have few questions about the rifle myself though #1 What do you all suggest as far as break in procedure for the the barrel (it is a carbon steel national match) #2 Is dry fire OK for this rifle? #3 what do you gus think of the Springfield 6x goverment scope and the third gen mount? thanks for any input. Here is the e-mail from Springfield: The Springfield "Loaded" M1A promotion is still running. It is scheduled to
run for at least the next 120 days. The coupons with the firearms are valid
for 60 days from the date the firearm is purchased.

Springfield Inc.
420 West Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254
800-680-6866
(309) 944-3676 FAX
Email: sales@springfield-armory.com
----- Original Message -----

To: <customerservice@springfield-armory.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 9:50 PM
Subject: M1A loaded package