M1-A (M14) mule deer

Merlyn

Deer number 10 taken with M1-A (.308 ) first buck

Attachments

• AAC993DC-170C-4CEC-9376-352233AB9317.jpeg
    AAC993DC-170C-4CEC-9376-352233AB9317.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 244

jmr40

Congratulations. Wouldn't be my choice in a rifle, but I've always said most of us hunt for fun. Use what you enjoy hunting with.

105kw

First off, Welcome to the Firing Line.
Nice deer, Congrats.
I hunted with a Garand for a couple of years, pre bifocal days. With no luck.
Again, really nice deer.

smee78

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the nice-looking buck. I also would like to know what round you used. I wouldn't mind taking my M1 hunting, its got everything it needs to do the job.

Well done. Glad you have the shorter magazine which is much handier for hunting (and some states have capacity limits).

44 AMP

Staff
Nice. Mine weighs 14 lbs.

You have an M1A that weighs 14lbs???
:eek:

Book spec for the M14 is 8.7lbs. Call it 9lbs. Bump that to about 10lbs with a full GI mag.

What kind of cra....er, stuff have you bolted on to bring the weight up that much??
and why? :rolleyes:

ballardw

The Springfield Armory M1A Super Match with a heavy stainless barrel and walnut stock is 11lb 2oz, so maybe 12lb with loaded magazine.

Maybe a real heavy scope?

44 AMP

Staff
Unless a shooting shack is involved I'm taking something else.

And with a rifle that heavy, I think you should. It's your choice, of course, but I'm not the kind of person who thinks humping a double weight match rifle for deer hunting is sensible.

Rack grade M1A with stock irons and a 5rnd mag is still a couple pounds heavier than a scoped bolt or single shot in the same or other adequate caliber.

Over the years I've come to prefer lighter rifles and heavier handguns for hunting where any amount of walking is involved. For other uses, I have other preferences.

Shadow9mm

So, what ever happened to the OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The OP joined Jan 3rd 2021
The OP made this post Nov 19, 2022
This was the OP's first and last post on the site.
The ops last active date was Nov 19, 2022 when this post was made.