M&P9L or M&P9 Pro - Magazine disconnect?

zip22

do the M&P9L and the M&P9 Pro have the magazine disconnect safety?

Model numbers are 205301 for the 9L and 178010 for the 9 Pro.

Also, are the pro upgrades worth the extra $50 for someone just getting into shooting? This will be used for HD and target shooting.

sholling

Both are intended for target shooting and IDPA match shooting with the main difference between the L and Pro being the trigger. The Pro has a better trigger. For home defense I'd lean toward just a regular M&P with night sights. If I were serious about target shooting I'd either buy the Pro or spend $100+ getting the L a trigger job by either Dan Burwell or David Bowie.

Just a thought. A 9mm is great to have for a home defense pistol. On the other hand a nice $300 22 like a Browning Buck Mark or a Ruger MKIII is going to let you do a whole lot more target shooting.

zip22

I actually received an MKIII as a gift a few months ago and this is my next step. Ideally, I was looking to get a normal M&P9, but right now buds has the M&P 9L for $519 which is cheaper than I can find a normal M&P for. I was looking for something without a magazine disconnect.

sholling

I'm not sure if they have one or not. I removed mine but I dont usually recommend doing that for liability reasons when you eventually sell it.

LanceOregon

do the M&P9L and the M&P9 Pro have the magazine disconnect safety?

All you have to do is to look on the right side of these guns, and your answer will be most evident:

M&P 9 Pro:

MP9Pro.jpg

M&P 9L:

MP9L-1.jpg

zip22

Thanks, I figured it would be marked like that, but I hadn't seen pictures of that side. now, to pro or not to pro... I'm learning towards the L since I don't have much experience yet and I'm not sure if I would notice the benefit of the trigger in the pro.

LanceOregon

S&W has a M&P tune up gunsmithing package that you can get for $105, that includes the Performance Sear that is included in the Pro model. They also do a number of other things to enhance the gun.

Just check their website under the Performance Center. If you cannot be without the gun, for $130 they will guarantee turnaround in only 5 days, including shipping time.

So you could always add that upgrade to the gun down the road, if you wanted to.

--