M&P9 Trigger Question

MTT TL

I am switching careers from M to P. I must say that near anything is better than the quaint antique that is the M9 pistol that the old employer insisted we carry.

The new employer issues M&P9 which seems a very solid and much more ergonomic pistol. The minor velocity loss on the barrel will be more than compensated for by the inclusion of actual useful ammunition.

As I will have to qualify next week before I can start carrying and working I went ahead and dropped some dough on a very lightly used M&P9 and went to work practicing with it. I am happy overall with the gun, it is quite similiar to my Sig 2022 and even better in some minor ways. (although I find the take down abhorrent)

Except the trigger.

The trigger is ridiculous. It seems to be a multi stage trigger that has four stages until it reaches bang. Me hates it. I can still shoot quite accurately with it but I think the longer distance shooting would be much tighter with a smooth trigger instead of a panzerfaust style one.

Any line on a good drop in trigger?

Any other ways to improve upon it?

jmhyer

I take mine down like the XD and Glock line of pistols. Lock back the slide, move the take down lever to the correct position, release the slide slowly, pull the trigger, and the slide falls off forward. Forget the dumb armorer's tool method. Easy-peasy.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

APEX makes some nice stuff. That said if you can shoot it fine, I'm not sure I'd mess with a duty pistol. Is it an issued sidearm?

ClydeFrog

Bowietacticalconcepts.com ....

If you have the time and $$$, look at Bowietacticalconcepts.com .
Pistolsmith David Bowie is well known for his M&P custom work.
He's also a SWAT cop and match shooter.

Apex Tactical does offer a lot of good M&P parts. I like the new polymer Glock type trigger with the green 5.5lb system. That seems ideal for CC or duty use.
I plan to buy a new M&P 9x19mm soon and might get the Apex kit with the add on extractor.

Clyde
PS; Trijicon HD night sights would be a good add on too. Or XS big dot night sights.

MTT TL

Thank you for your replies. I will try that Apex trigger and see if it will smooth it out any.

Tunnelrat- I am discussing a personal weapon I purchased to allow me to train on my own time and dime. Unless specifically authorized I would never tinker with a weapon not my own.

I take mine down like the XD and Glock line of pistols. Lock back the slide, move the take down lever to the correct position, release the slide slowly, pull the trigger, and the slide falls off forward. Forget the dumb armorer's tool method. Easy-peasy.

jmhyer- I dislike both ways. IMO- On an assembled gun the only time for pulling a trigger is for actual use of some kind or clearing. The Glock does not require a trigger pull. You clear it first, slide the slide back a bit, push down the take downs and you are free. This I think is a bit safer and easier. Initially I do find the M&P is superior in a lot of ways to the Glock.

ClydeFrog- The agency issues night sights so that will be a first purchase to my weapon to get it closer to what they are using. If they allow me to upgrade the service weapon with a better trigger I will certainly do it.

TunnelRat

The Glock does not require a trigger pull. You clear it first, slide the slide back a bit, push down the take downs and you are free. This I think is a bit safer and easier.

I hate to correct you, but yes it does require a trigger pull. I have two of them in front of me right now.

Uncle Malice

The Glock does not require a trigger pull. You clear it first, slide the slide back a bit, push down the take downs and you are free. This I think is a bit safer and easier.

Weird. The dozens of Glocks I have owned were all defective I guess. :confused:

The APEX kit will most certainly improve your trigger. Drastically.

I agree. The Pro Series trigger is quite nice too. It's not QUITE as good as the full DCAEK, but it's not bad enough for me to put the Apex kit in my 9 Pro. I love that gun.

MTT TL

I hate to correct you, but yes it does require a trigger pull. I have two of them in front of me right now.

Why? How? :confused: I just did my Glock 27 without a trigger pull mid take down. True, it will not come apart if it is cocked.

You clear it FIRST. This is very different than pulling the trigger during disassembly.

pilpens

Not do you clear a glock?.
How do you uncock the striker?

My glock disassmebly:
- Mag out,
- rack slide and ensure chamber is empty,
- pull trigger to uncock,
- pull slide back enough to relieve pressure on disassembly lever but not enough to cock
- release slide and push slide forward to separate from frame.

===========

M&P is officially as DAO because of the extra positive sear/striker engagement. APEX sear provides a less positive engagement of the two parts. Replacing the sear with an APEX sear may change this definition. Is this kind of change to the pistol allowed by your new employer?

Apex striker block will help smoothen the trigger pull.

===========

MTT TL

M&P is officially as DAO because of the extra positive sear/striker engagement. APEX parts provide less engagement of the two parts. Replacing the sear with APEX parts may change this definition. Is this kind of change to the pistol allowed by your new employer?

For my personal weapon? No issues.

I will figure out agency issued weapon specifications when it is appropriate. I think if I can show them an improved model they may bite. The agency seems quite open to new ideas for making things better.

TunnelRat

You clear it FIRST. This is very different than pulling the trigger during disassembly.

What? Now you're just arguing semantics. The weapon has to be decocked to disassemble. The only way to decock is to pull the trigger. You can call it clearing or whatever you want, it's still a pull of the trigger.

ClydeFrog

Post #13....

To clarify, the Apex kit I was speaking of is linked in post #13.
FWIW, there's also a www.gunsamerica.com blog post(midway down right side of homepage) about the Apex Tactical Kit & the Smith and Wesson M&P series.
The blog writer includes a Youtube link to explain how to install the M&P polymer trigger & springs. ;)

I'm not Mr Fix-it so I might go with a local M&P trained armorer or maybe a gunsmith near my relatives in NE Florida.
I just want to the avoid the shuck & jive excuses of bringing in the pistol, the parts, etc then get the runaround from some gun shop clerk. :mad:

I've had that bad experience with auto parts & mechanics. I'm not going thru with it again with gun shop staff or gunsmiths.

carguychris

I feel the need to comment on another aspect of this discussion.
jmhyer said:
Lock back the slide, move the take down lever to the correct position, release the slide slowly, pull the trigger, and the slide falls off forward. Forget the dumb armorer's tool method.
(emphasis mine)

FWIW I've never understood why folks on this forum (and others) seem to regard using the M&P sear deactivation lever- rather than pulling the trigger- as "dumb". :confused:

Yes, the manual advises using the backstrap retention pin, which is typically tough to remove, but there's no particular reason you HAVE to use the pin; ANY slender and reasonably stiff tool will work. I've used a cleaning rod, a ballpoint pen, the eraser end of a #2 pencil, the handle of an old toothbrush, a small steel punch, a small flathead screwdriver, and even a Q-tip; all are within arm's reach on the workbench where I usually clean my guns.

What's the problem? The slide already has to be locked back to turn the takedown latch, and it only takes a second to flip down the sear deactivation lever.

MTT TL

For most people here there is no problem. For many people new to firearms and the less cautious pulling the trigger after racking the slide is an accident waiting to happen.

ClydeFrog

Speed of light....

It never ceases to amaze me how fast forum topics can veer off course. :eek:

NASA should study this subject. They can use it to propel spaceships to the other side of galaxy. :D