M&P45 Sight options/opinions

jeepman4804

Well after 5 years on my daily carry/duty pistol my Trijicon sights need replacement. They still glow nice and bright at night, but the white outline has all but worn off making quick aquisition during the day a thing of the past.

I have narrowed my decision down to Truglo TFO green front/yellow rear or the new Trijicon HD with orange ringed front sight. I shoot anywhere between 300-500 rounds a month and do use my pistol in several training classes a year so it gets abused from time to time. Since it is my duty weapon as well it is in all sorts of inclimate weather and does get banged around. I have a 9mm pro with a fiber optic front sight and I have had it spit the sight out on a couple occasions so durability is also a concern.

I am required to have a 3 dot night site by the PD so a blacked rear is not acceptable. I obviously want the ability to get on a man size target quickly, but also want to be able to maintain the ability for precision shooting. So my other concern is how large the rear notch is compared to the front sight. I would just measure em, but nobody local has either sight in stock so that is not possible.

Who has em, what do you love/hate about them and can you post some pictures up if you got em?
Thanks,
Clay

Edit: I would be interested in using green/green on the Truglo TFO as well depending on what opinions I get.

Last edited:

BigShep85

I personally would...

I would probably just get a white out pen, white paint, or white fingernail polish and paint the lines back around the hole. It would be cheaper and if youare allowed to use other colors might get a bright color paint/polish that you really like to outline the sight hole. Just something to think about.

ak2323

I'd seriously consider getting the standard Novak style trijicon night sights. Good old green dots.

Everyone's got an opinion of course, I just prefer them over the competition even though they cost more. Those Tru Glo sights never sat right with me. YMMV etc. :)

jeepman4804

Went with the new Trijicon HD with the orange front outline. In daylight/lowlight they are extremely fast to pickup. In the darkness the Tritium is visibly larger/brighter than my original Novak Trijicons. Not sure what changed, but it is a very welcome change. I wish they were available with yellow rears to help the front pop in the dark, but maybe that will be an option at a later time.

470bd1ae-d176-2e11.jpg

Therealkoop

The trijicon white circle/glowdot is my favorite setup and seems to be the easiest for me to pick up in all enviroments. The straight up fiber optic green/reds dont show up very well for me in the dark. They show up better in bright light, but the tradeoff isnt worth it in my opinion.

jeepman4804

The trijicon white circle/glowdot is my favorite setup and seems to be the easiest for me to pick up in all enviroments. The straight up fiber optic green/reds dont show up very well for me in the dark. They show up better in bright light, but the tradeoff isnt worth it in my opinion.

The TruGlo TFO is not just fiberoptic. They are a combination Tritium/fiberoptic sight. Glow like Trijicons at night and are bright like a fiberoptic during the day. I went with the Trijicon because I preferred he rear sight and you can not get them separate yet. Won't get to hit the range with them till next week, if it's busy tonight I might get to see what they are like in a real world application.

Therealkoop

Ah I see, Ill have to check them out.

I have a trueglow on my M&P that is the standard green and is going to be replaced very soon.

ClydeFrog

Ohio's David Bowie; David Olhasso, Brownells, Trijicon HD set...

For Smith & Wesson MP45 pistol night sights, I'd check out www.Olhasso.com , the gunsmith/parts site for target shooter; David Olhasso. Another top pistolsmith & active SWAT unit commander is David Bowie of Ohio. I think Bowie's website is Bowie Tactical Concepts but I'm not 100% sure.
Brownells.com & NatchezSS.com sell new M&P pistol sights too.
I also like the new 3 dot Trijicon HD systems but the XS "Big Dot" is good for duty pistols.
Many pistol owners & sworn LE officers use the Warren sights but I'm not aware of any night sight formats.
I dislike the "fiber optic" or "glowing" units. They look cheap & highly unstable for the "run & gun" conditions of SWAT/PSC/duty use.

Stay safe & aim center mass! ;)
Clyde