M&P40c Recoil Management -- As Good as Everyone Says?

Wheel-Gunner

As I have been researching different polymer pistols for possible carry options in a 40 cal, I keep coming across claims of how much lighter the recoil is for an M&P compared to other polymer frames.

Does the M&P 40 compact have less recoil compared to its polymer competitors? Namely the Glock 27, H&K USP compact, Springfield XD subcompact, etc.

If so, why and is the difference significant?

evan1293

Does the M&P 40 compact have less recoil compared to its polymer competitors?

I don't think so... I've had the m&p .40 compact and I now have a g27. Recoil can be kind of a subjective thing and for me, the m&p seems to not track as well in recoil as the 27. Both are pretty soft shooting IMO. I can get my hands ever so slightly higher on the glocks than I can on the m&ps so I think thats part of it.

Chuckusaret

M&P Vs XD recoil

I have a M&P 9MM compact, M&P 40 cal and a SA XD 40 sub compact. A big difference is felt between the 9MM and the 40's but I can't notice any between the 40's. I have fired 1000's of rounds thru each, the The XD is my choice of the three because of feel, to me, and reliablity. The XD has never failed to fire for any reason.

sholling

All polymer pistols supposedly have a tiny bit of flex that absorbs a wee bit of the recoil. It's possibly true but since I haven't seen slow motion video proving it then it's not a theory that I cannot vouch for.

What does make sense is the ergonomically designed grip on the M&P. The combination of a correctly angled grip that is actually shaped to properly fit a human hand is a big factor in spreading recoil evenly across the hand, and then straight back into an uncocked wrist. But I think what helps reduce the M&P's perceived recoil the most is how low it sits in the hand. That shifts recoil into a more straight back action instead of muzzle flip.

scorpiusdeus

I find the M&P, both full sized and compact, handle the .40 S&W recoil better than any other Poly gun I won or have fired. It's one of the things I like most about my two M&Ps.

i got the full size 40 after i sold my glock 23 and think that the recoil is a little less on the M&Ps. and i love my M&P9c, i can preform well placed double taps better than any other polymer i have handled