M&P22

scoobydoo6906

at least they are not zinc like the sig Mosquito. anyhow I don't really see a problem with the slide being aluminum. I mean it has been used for pistol frames for years and seems like it can take that punishment. if the slide is cast aluminum maybe that could be an issue but I am not an engineer so who knows. at any rate it's a s&w product so I'm optimistic for now.

raftman

Never heard of em till now. Looks interesting, but they'll have to do a lot better than $419 to get me to think about actually getting one.

Yeah, 400$ for a stinkin .22, it had better be made of all 4140 steel:mad: I'm still holding out for the Armscor XT22, whenever that can be imported.

scoobydoo6906

if it lasts a lifetime and costs $419 who cares. its still way more cost effective than the cz cadet. the ruger 22/45 and mkiii hunter series pistols run about the same, and there are browing's that are in that range also. I own a few M&P's so the training aspect is almost priceless. so if it works and lasts $419 is worth it and not out of line. your mileage may vary.

raftman

Problem is "if it works" is indeed a very big if. A brand name doesn't seem to guarantee much if we're talking about a .22 semi-auto styled after a full-sized gun, the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito being the classic examples. It'd have to be really darn nice if it's to sell for anywhere near that MSRP.

AustinTX

anyhow I don't really see a problem with the slide being aluminum. I mean it has been used for pistol frames for years and seems like it can take that punishment.

So has polymer. Should we be comfortable with a polymer slide? Frames have to be tough, but frames are largely dealing with the spring-cushioned impact of the slide during its rearward travel and the impact of the slide reduced by the stripping and loading of rounds (and engagement with the barrel, in a locked-breech pistol) during its forward travel. A slide has to bear the immediate full pressure of a discharging round on its breech block, which is far more immediate force than the frame ever has to bear.

at any rate it's a s&w product so I'm optimistic for now.
if it lasts a lifetime and costs $419 who cares.

I think raftman covered all of this two posts up.

ElrodCod

Other than looks it has little in common with the centerfire M&Ps. It's made by Walther & is hammer fired instead of striker fired. It's a P22 in M&P clothes.