M&P15 Sport II: Model 10202 (5.56/.223)

SIMP

I recently set out to buy my first ever AR. I did a good amount of research and settled on Smith and Wesson's M&P15. Didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money and really just wanted to get my feet wet with the platform. Apparently the main difference in the Sport II versus the first model is the addition of the dust cover and forward assist. The model I purchased came with one PMag, Magpul MBUS flip up sight and standard handguards that lack any type of heat shield.

I picked it up this past Thursday and the first thing I did was remove the bolt group and break it down for a good cleaning. Then headed out to our land to fire some shots thru it. I fired roughly 100 rounds and experienced no issues. The sights were dead on right out of the box and required no adjusting. During this trip, I used only brass ammo. In fact, it was some Perfecta .223 that came from Wally-World in 50-round boxes. It seemed accurate for a target round and the rifle fed it just fine.

I also looked at few other AR15's including the Ruger AR556 and Bushmaster QRC. Having shot the M&P15 now, I'm very glad I settled for it. However, I'm sure they all would have functioned fine for an entry level AR. If there's anyone in my shoes just looking to get into the AR world, I highly recommend the M&P Sport II.

I added an aftermarket pistol grip to make the rifle more comfortable for me and my hand size. Also, I have an aluminum quad rail on it now that seems to work just fine but I recently ordered a Magpul MOE handguard and vertical grip. I like the way it looks better than the quad rail.

What is your opinion on quad rails versus Magpul MOE handguards? Thanks!

Here's how it looks as of now:

New%20MampP%20Sport%20II_zps2kxrtxs0.jpg

Mosin-Marauder

I just recently got a Sport II aswell. Great rifle. With some cheap handloads I can get 2.25" inch groups with the irons at 100 yards. I could probably do a bit better but I don't even have 50 rounds through it yet. No stoppages so far, as well. I for one hate quad rails, too bulky for my taste especially with rail covers. I would definitely go with the MOE handguard. I'm going to buy some match ammo for mine to really establish a baseline.

ms6852

I think you made a great purchase and a practical one. I recommended this specific AR15 to my neighbor who has no experience shooting an ar and would like to learn, a young kid of 35. Cabelas has them on sale for $549.

Congratulations and enjoy many years of safe shooting.

fourbore

I think Cabelas is more like $700 now and none of the big shops (like bass pro or cabelas) ever have any even at price gouging full sticker! If the OP gave more than $550 he need not feel bad.

Will be interesting to see how this next election goes and with new supreme court if we can hold onto what we have for a few more years or the 2nd amendment basically gone for good. Do you feel lucky?

SIMP

Thanks for the replies. I actually paid $589 for mine with free shipping so I got a pretty good deal. I am absolutely loving it so far.

I kind of want to mount an optic on it in the near future but not sure how to handle that with the front sight being what it is. Will it interfere with an optic? Thank you.

Inazone

I have a first-gen Sport, with a Bushnell TRS-32 red dot on a cantilever mount. It can "absolute co-witness" with the flip-up rear sight and front post.

If the Sport II is anything like the original, you should be very happy with it. My only word of advice is that cheap Tula ammo wouldn't cycle reliably in mine, so you may want to avoid it.

Armybrat

The Sports are a very good value "entry level" AR, IMO.

Bought my slick side two years ago and paid $579. Upgraded the hand guard to a Magpul last year. The little carbine is a fine shooter.

92325784f8dd2164bbd0b928792843f4441f121.jpg

ms6852

Hey Simp, you can replace the factory sight with a low profile gas block. Vulcan arms makes one with a picatinny rail just in case you want buis. Go to brownell's and check their inventory.

Mikef262

I picked up the regular sport version a couple years ago. I've never had any issues, never jammed so far that I can recall, for something that wasn't user error (girlfriend loaded the magazine incorrectly and a bullet wasn't seated properly in the mag, which caused a jam). For my use I have never needed a dust cover either. However I won't lie, I am very jealous of the sport 2 owners. While I may not have a use for any of those added features, I really like the look of having them on there, and wish mine had them as well. It may sound stupid, and it is 100% just my opinion, but I would almost be willing to buy the sport 2 just to have those features. I bought my sport when they first came out, was about $700 with tax. I tried a tapco handguard with the tapco grip, but hated the box look the handguad gave. Since then I have changed to magpul grip, stock, handguard, and vertical grip. Works great. Also added a magpul rail and mounted a surefire flashlight to it as well. It's been good to me so far.

Last edited:

9x19

I have a pair of the first generation Sport models and they have been excellent.

The FA and dust cover just add weight to my guns and I am happiest when they aren't on the rifle.

My rimfire (S&W 15-22) and hunting ARs (.300 Blackout) also have slick-side uppers. I like their "original" look.

Sterling

zzzzzzzz

2k rounds and counting no issue at all on my MP 15 Sport. 80% tula 20 wwb brass no problems at all. Shoot clean lube in that order. Years back after the black gun buying frenzy died down there was a ad on gunsamerica a dealer like so many others saw the frenzy and placed bookoo orders for ARs by the time he received them buyers stoped buying the way they were. He had a pallet of MP Sports advertised at 459$ ea plus 18$ shipping for my first AR I jumped on one. And its been a champ. Forward assist, dust cover.....meh If I start needing them Ill go back to my M70 Yugo. Haha

Ibmikey

Two of the Sports in the rack here, seems like they are fired as much or more than my high end rifles kicking out many thousands of empties since they were new. I have kept one stock and put Magpul furniture, a nice ALG ACT trigger and Daniel Defense hider. I have shot a lot of ammo through AR's and have come to the conclusion that i shall not wear one out.

WeedWacker

MOE vs Quad Rail Handguards

I believe it's all a matter of preference. MOE handguards can be customized to a certain extent and have heat shields to dissipate heat. On the other hand, you cannot mount an optic or BUIS on top. Quad rails are plug and play. Slap it on and it's ready to take attachments. The only quads I've used have had venting and dissipate heat ok, but can hold heat more than the plastic on the MOE (in my experience). Another contrast is weight. The original MOE handguards were heavier than standard M4 style handguards by just a bit, but quad rail handguards are solid metal (the ones you want, anyway), no contest there.

I remember when the keymod system came out, huge advantage over modular systems with screws and bushings. Now you have "slim" MOE handguards and MLOK mounting systems which all but kill the aluminum handguard. They still require a delta ring to hold them in and free float tubes still have an edge in the accuracy department.

I have a friend who has tried the magpul furniture. He hates the ergonomics on the MOE handguards and switched back to his original Colt handguards. But for me, I love my MOE furniture. Only one EBR doesn't have them and that has a free float Midwest Industries SS handguard. Shooting with all that metal sticking out front helps with recoil in shooting games but made it heavier for carrying around when I took it hunting once.

If I build another AR for hunting, I would get the lightest free float handguard available that allows attachment of a bipod.

If I build another AR for competition it will have a free float keymod handguard.

If I build another AR for two legged varmints it will have MOE furniture with MLOK. That is where I feel the Magpul product makes the most sense. It doesn't break the bank on cost, it's as modular as necessary without being too complex, and it doesn't upset the balance of the rifle too much allowing faster lateral transition from target to target, especially if they are moving.