M&P 'Sport' AR-15?

chris in va

Spied one of these at the LGS. Seems to be the bargain version with a few things left off, like a forward assist, one piece trigger guard, no dust cover. Still has a chromed bolt carrier and gas key but the website doesn't list the barrel being chromed. Barrel had no cuts in it, looked blued. Still has M4 feed ramps.

This thing was under $650, any opinions?

golfnutrlv

Well, it's great if you just want an inexpensive shooter. The bore is not chrome lined, I saw that in a dealer flier we got regarding it.

It's not going to be a tough, take anything kind of AR, but it is an ar, and if you can't sink a grand plus into one, it will work.

chris in va

I definitely intend this to be a higher-volume plinker, maybe for informal competition.

Probably should have taken a few pictures. The stock photos don't really give a good feel for how the barrel looks.

a7mmnut

Chris,

I was somewhat confused as to why they include the M4 (double) ramps, but the barrel looks like a standard light or heavy contour?:confused: At any rate, you can't go wrong with a S&W for less than $650 IMHO. It should be another one of their great guns.

-7-

golfnutrlv

The chrome lined barrel is something you want. Nut for the price, I say go for it. Worst case, it can be rebarreled later on if needed.

That'll Do

Well, it doesn't have the chrome lined chamber and bore, or the forward assist, but if you want an AR badly enough, go for it. The M&P AR's are alright. They're a good mid-range AR, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if that's what was available.

chris in va

Just as an update, I called S&W and after consulting his supervisor, the CS rep said the bore and chamber are also Melonite treated. This gun looks more attractive the further I research things.

kenno

A foward assist is a 'must have' on any AR and only costs $10-20 more between a DPMS Oracle and thier Sporticle

Madball6

Ex army here, also an AR-15 owner, while i like having the option should the problem arise, in 50,000 + rounds fired I have never used the forward assist unless it was part of a marksmanship drill (I.E. wasn't needed but its part of a jam recovery process). Granted in the off chance i needed it I would want one, but i would not hesitate to snatch up a good deal for the lack of it.

-Keith

chris in va

Or... you can build one from DSA.

Does that include free shipping and included FFL costs?:cool:

Ex army here, also an AR-15 owner, while i like having the option should the problem arise, in 50,000 + rounds fired I have never used the forward assist

I keep hearing that from other AR owners as well. I suspect the forward assist was a crutch fix for feeding issues when the M16 first came out, and is no longer needed with modern coatings and designs.

HKFan9

I have used mine... I don't think I would worry about buying an ar with or with out it. I would def. spend extra from a chrome barrel however. I abuse my AR. Shoot it till it smokes, 300-500 rounds at a time. Don't clean it often. After about 1500 or so rounds I break it down, through it all in the parts washer at work. She comes out looking great. I let it dry, spray it with EEZOX and do it all over.

AR's were meant to be abused... something breaks you replace it. People tend to baby them too much.

Chang

Ex-Army here. Used my forward assist to place the weapon back into battery probably twice. Firing from the prone while confirming my zero in Kuwait before heading downrange. The sand gets in there every time. Other than that, never truly needed it.

Fabius

Bought one a few weeks ago. Three trips to the range and I'm impressed with the quality that S&W built into the rifle for the price.

Melonite treated barrel. Surface hardness comparable to chrome without the dimensional issues. More accurate than chrome-lined.

5R rifling. S&W got this capability from their acquisition of Thompson Center. Better gas seal for more velocity. Supposedly more accurate than the 6R rifling in standard AR's.

1:8 twist barrel. Perfect for me because I couldn't decide between 1:9 and 1:7. I'm comfortable shooting 55 grain out of it and can shoot heavier, longer bullets if I choose.

Chrome lined carrier and gas key. Gas key is properly staked.

M4 feed ramps, fully cut.

Lower receiver is forged and appears to be the same as the ones used on their more expensive models.

F marked front sight base.

Dual aperture rear sight, 6/3, adjustable for both windage and elevation.

200+ rounds through it so far without an issue. Haven't needed the forward assist or dust cover. Nothing to complain about and certainly can't complain about the price.

Last edited: