M&P Slide Stop Restricted?

Uncle Malice

I tried to call the factory to order one of the updated slide stop levers that are "reinforced" but provide a better trigger reset that the newer M&P's are coming with.

The guy on the phone told me that I could not order one, that they were restricted to factory installation only. But I can order the old revision style...

That seems a little bit ludicrous to me. What could possibly be the purpose of this policy?

TunnelRat

Lol. That's bizarre. I've done exactly as you tried to do and they had no problem sending me the part. But this was probably a year or more ago. Maybe they got tired of people calling and asking for updated parts and came up with that excuse? You could do what I did as a kid and try the other parent, or in this case try and hope to get through to a different person on the phone. Otherwise I think some of the online vendors have the updated parts now.

g.willikers

And some folks wonder why 1911s remain so popular.
I've run into this same parts problem with just about every other pistol.
"Sorry we only sell parts to authorized armorers."
Or "Sorry we don't sell parts, just send it back to us."
Never mind the hassles, delays and costs.
Finally gave up and went back exclusively to the good ole' 1911.

TunnelRat

I've got nothing against 1911s, but I can find Glock parts perhaps as readily as 1911 parts.

Last edited:

shaunpain

I've investigated assembling my own Glock and found that parts sources are scarce. If Timberwolf doesn't have it, then I'm curious to know where you could find it elsewhere. My last 1911 was far easier to find parts for. Like, it doesn't even compare. If what you say is true, please, enlighten me. If the answer is Glock, well then, forget I even asked!

TunnelRat

I've investigated assembling my own Glock and found that parts sources are scarce.

MidwayUSA, Brownells, Top Gun Supply, Lonewolf Dist, GhostInc, Glockmeister, Glockparts, TeamGlock. Just use Google...

Edit: To be fair I forgot about all the custom shops for 1911s that sell their own versions of individual parts as well. Adding those in I'd have to agree 1911s may be the most widely available, but I don't think Glocks are far behind and are usually in stock in large numbers (unless there's a panic).

Last edited:

g.willikers

There's plenty of parts for Glocks, but the quantity is wide and shallow, as the parts suppliers say.
Not anywhere nearly like what's out there for 1911s.
There's no end to what's available for 1911s, by comparison.
And not just as compared to Glocks, but for everything else.
It shouldn't be surprising, though, with a hundred plus year old design compared to a less than thirty year old.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Not anywhere nearly like what's out there for 1911s.
There's no end to what's available for 1911s, by comparison.

I respect your opinion, I just can't personally get on the same page. Your original comments were about the ability to find replacement parts. In that regard, any of the distributors I listed can allow you to replace every internal in a Glock, though some instances you have to shop from multiple vendors. Heck some people are selling replacement frames. There are also any number of custom shops offering replacement triggers, slides, work done to the same, etc. It doesn't approach the number of parts out there for the 1911 because a Glock doesn't have as many parts. There isn't a ton internally that you can swap out, whereas a 1911 offers more in that area. In an age where we have vendors specializing in just one part in some cases it gives 1911 parts makers more breathing space to call their own.

My point was I have never found myself in a situation with a Glock that I needed a replacement part and was unable to find someone selling it or that part out of stock everywhere. I've usually found the same true for other designs as well, though some manufacturers are better than others. In the age of the internet you can find somebody selling just about anything, and usually more than one person.

It shouldn't be surprising, though, with a hundred plus year old design compared to a less than thirty year old.

I hear you, but for some of us 30 years is longer than it is for others. :) Glock hasn't been the new kid on the block for a long time.

g.willikers

Well, I had to go look.
For today and at only one source, Brownells.com,
There's nearly all of the sixty four parts available for 1911s from the various manufacturers and suppliers.
For Glock they surprisingly list nearly all the 50 parts, but only about a dozen are available to buy.
There might be more for Glocks at the other places, but the hassle and additional shipping costs involved with multiple purchases from more than one source is a definite disadvantage.
So my opinion remains unchanged, as does my choice of pistol.
Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Didn't intend to turn this conversation into a 1911 vs others.
Wanted it to be more of a warning about checking for support before buying anything.
Having to scrounge or worse make parts is such a pain.

TunnelRat

There might be more for Glocks at the other places, but the hassle and additional shipping costs involved with multiple purchases from more than one source is a definite disadvantage.

Yea so there are sources that focus just on Glock in the list I gave. Brownells is more generic in terms of their offerings. The list I gave ranges from people selling some parts, to people selling many more. Personally I generally use Lonewolf Dist or Team Glock. You'd be right though to point out what I typed made it seem like every one of those retailers sold all the Glock parts.

So my opinion remains unchanged, as does my choice of pistol.
Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

I wasn't questioning your choice of pistol. Nor would I expect you to change what you use just from a conversation here.

Wanted it to be more of a warning about checking for support before buying anything.
Having to scrounge or worse make parts is such a pain.

I absolutely agree it's definitely something to consider. I had a Sphinx pistol which I liked but sold because I couldn't get support for it for even more basic things than internal parts.

Again, my comments are that of the pistols on the market today Glock is not one I would worry about finding parts for. You're right in that my first statement was an overstatement.

For Uncle the M&P part he is looking for is also available from other vendors, I'm just not sure if they have it in stock. He's also looking for a certain revision and what he might find is older stock.

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

For what it's worth....

I took TunnelRats advice and called back today.... and this guy let me order the part with no problem. At least he SAID it was the updated version... so we'll see when I get it.

As for finding Glock parts.... sure, they may not be as plentiful as 1911 parts, but they are most definitely in 2nd place and both 1911 and glock are lapping ever single piece of competition.

Sig and HK have plenty of parts availability as well, but only from a handful of vendors besides the factory.

James K

Member In Memoriam
When a factory updates a part, they normally want to use the new part on new production guns until they have a surplus of parts, then they will release them to the market. You would expect a new gun to have the latest updates, wouldn't you?

Jim

TunnelRat

When a factory updates a part, they normally want to use the new part on new production guns until they have a surplus of parts, then they will release them to the market. You would expect a new gun to have the latest updates, wouldn't you?

Lol, with an M&P I wouldn't expect anything. The revised slide stop actually came out a number of years ago if I remember correctly. Despite this I bought pistols after the time of that change, by many months, and they didn't include the revised part. That's why I called S&W and asked for the part. My experience is that certain manufacturers simply use up what's available before using the new parts. I get your point though that supply might be limited as the parts get made.

I took TunnelRats advice and called back today.... and this guy let me order the part with no problem. At least he SAID it was the updated version... so we'll see when I get it.

Glad it worked :). I've found that their CS, like any CS really, can vary based on the person. It's usually worth another try.

FYI I remember folks using this guy before. It's probably cheaper from the factory.
https://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=42427

g.willikers

I wasn't questioning your choice of pistol. Nor would I expect you to change what you use just from a conversation here.
Just for reference, I once exclusively used a Glock 17 for my one and only pistol for nearly six years.
It never let me down other than needing sight replacements.
Back then (late eighties to mid nineties) if it hadn't been for a serious lack of parts availability, i'd probably still have it.
No complaint what so ever with it's functioning.
Well except maybe for the grip angle, the mushy trigger, the plastic sights,
the reluctance to digest semi wad cutters......:p
Seriously, it was a great gun and served me well.
If that's all there was to choose from today, I would have no complaint.
Except for not being able to have a 1911, of course. :)

zincwarrior

The other companies don't have a variety of surplus parts like a 1911, maybe because theirs doesn't have to be completely rebuilt to work properly. :p

g.willikers

As hard as it might be to believe, my trusty 1911 is still running on the same parts, except for a couple of recoil spring changes, since 1995.
Lost count of the number of rounds through it a long time ago.
Nothing fancy, just a lowly plain version from the good folks in Geneseo, Illinois.
Maybe it's because I do have plenty of parts on hand from previous ones.
Murphy at work. ;)

Uncle Malice

Just wanted to update this thread... Received the slide stop from S&W today. Definitely still the old version. They did not send me the newer 'reinforced' version.

Sigh.