M&P slide marks / scratches

zip22

picked up my first (real) handgun yesterday - a brand new M&P 9mm. after looking it over at home, I noticed some marks on the slide that I had not seen. Do you think these would be covered under the warranty? I bought it online and it seems like returning it would be much more hassle than its worth, but if smith and wesson will take care of it, I would like to have it fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_1952s.JPG
    IMG_1952s.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1953s.JPG
    IMG_1953s.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1955s.jpg
    IMG_1955s.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 354

Badness

If it's going to be one of your shooters, i wouldn't worry about it. When i took my Para LTC home, I noticed a bunch of things. It had a scratch under the slide lock and the slide lock notch on the slide was sorta mushroomed out. I think it was handle a lot in the store or someone banged it on something. But i'm pretty much over it since i know i'm going to be shooting it a lot.

Shadi Khalil

I bet if you sent it back they would fix it but I wouldnt worry about it. You know what would cover that up? Some nice holster wear.

jon_in_wv

If you are really worried about the cosmetics you should check out the M&P forum. There is a TON of options on that forum for what you can do to your slide. Some guys remove the black all together and the slide is "in the white". It looks really nice. There are some guys that do refinishing that offer discount rates on the forum too. I can't tell if the marks in the first two pics are rust. There was a short run of M&Ps where the slide was improperly treated and they rusted. If its rust I would return it to S&W. If its dings or some wear I doubt they would jump at the chance to repair it for free and if you are paying it for it I would get something cooler.

BTW, There are some guys who have had the slide done in a two tone that makes the M&P the best looking gun around if you ask me. I'll see if I can some up with a pic.

gutiw

marks on gun

You need to go shoot your gun ... concentrate on shooting it....then after a year, aside from cleanings, look at it again and compare your photos.

Xanatos

Every scratch, scrape, nick, etc. on any of my weapons is just character. I never understood people babying their weapons like they lose their utility because of a few scratches. My weapons are my tools. I maintain them and I take care of them. Anything cosmetic is purely that.

gglass

I own five M&P's and have not seen any marks like that when new or otherwise. You can call S&W customer service and they will surely make it right with you.

I have carried a M&P40 full size in an IWB holster every day for almost two years. It gets banged around, sweat upon and generally abused, as it is not a safe queen. I actually look forward to some wear and use marks but this thing is tank tough. It looks almost NIB condition, and if not for the wear marks under the take down lever, you might mistake it as new.

My daily beater:
mp40today.jpg

jon_in_wv

My experience has been the same. My daily carry M&P 9c has been carried daily for years now and it has shot thousands of rounds and it still looks new.

KyJim

I don't sweat it if I get a scratch or wear on a carry gun because that stuff is bound to happen. However, with a new gun, I would want one without scratches. I don't know if SW's warranty covers this, however. You'll need to contact them.

zip22

S&W got my handgun on Jan 19th and mailed it back on the 28th. I picked it up today with a new slide that looks perfect. I didn't get any of the free mags that I have heard others mention, but I'm happy with the transaction.

My primary complaint would be the complete lack of communication. A modern RMA system should allow the consumer to track their package every step of the way. With other companies, you can submit a request online, get your packing label via email, send the package, view the status online, get the return tracking number via email and then track the package back to your door. They have a ways to go at S&W.