M&P Confusion

sxm1

Looking at buying an M&Pc 9 for CC. Need help figuring out which model. MA aproved, CA aproved, mag safety, no safety, oh my. What is an internal lock? Shotguns are much simpler. Please do some splainin.

Simmy952

A M&P 9c is what I use for EDC. I also have a 40c slide that I can put on and use it for .40 cal also. Great little weapon for CCW. In NC, you don't have to worry about all the crap from MA or CA. So whichever one you find at a good deal, go for it. Alot of it has to do with barrel length and magazine capacity. The only other options are if you want a magazine safety or a thumb safety. Thumb safety is like a 1911 thumb safety. It is a external lever added to the left rear of the gun that can be manually flipped up or done for a safety. Not really needed for a striker fired weapon but some people like them. The magazine safety won't allow the gun to fire if the magazine is removed from the gun. The M&P line should not have an IL. Those two items are personal choice. Whatever works for you and what deal you find.

MGMorden

MA approved has a (much) heavier trigger pull. I think CA approved has a similar setup. Avoid those models if you can (as said, you being in NC you have no need to worry about those).

Magazine "safety" - This is more appropriately called a magazine disconnect as many don't consider it a safety device. Essentially, it means if you remove the magazine from the gun, it won't fire. Its annoying while cleaning, and nothing you'd ever want to rely on for safety, so I don't like these.

No safety - Exactly what it says. Some models of M&P come with a small wing safety on the side, and some don't. This is more personal preference. Some people feel uncomfortable without a safety - some feel that they needlessly complicate the weapon. Just go with what you prefer here.

carguychris

There is an M&P features chart with the SKU numbers on Pages 15 & 16 of the current S&W catalog.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/2011_Catalog_PartI.pdf

Basic summary is this:
  • MA requires 10rd mags and a heavy trigger pull.
  • CA requires 10rd mags but allows the standard trigger.
  • MD requires an internal lock and mag disconnect but allows standard-capacity mags. Only the MD pistols have internal locks and it's unusual to find a dealer anywhere else who stocks these. FYI the internal lock works through a little circular opening in the LH side of the beavertail below the rear sight. Standard M&Ps with black frames have a plastic plug here. M&Ps with tan frames lack the hole because they are not sold in MD.
  • The mag disconnect is an optional feature in states other than MD. These pistols lack the white warning text on the RH side of the slide ("CAUTION - CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED"). The disconnect is operated by a little wire dingus that protrudes from the sear assembly inside the pistol, at the rear of the mag well, next to the sear disconnect lever. In my experience, it's unusual for dealers outside MD to stock mag-disconnect pistols; they're mostly sold to LE buyers.
  • The thumb safety is also an optional feature. Standard M&Ps have square plastic plugs in the frame where the levers would go.
  • I've seen a few dealers with M&Ps from LE contract overruns. These mostly seem to be .40S&W pistols with mag disconnects but no thumb safeties, and they ship in small black plastic boxes rather than the big blue cases S&W uses for civilian pistols. Folks on the M&P and S&W forums claim that some of these ship with 3 mags and are identified by a SKU number that starts with "3", whereas a standard M&P SKU would start with "1" or "2".
  • The M&P is modular and the sear assembly is a drop-in unit. It can be removed by field-stripping the pistol, driving out a pin through the beavertail, holding the trigger back, and simply shaking or pulling the assembly out (there are videos on Youtube). IIRC the different sear assemblies only cost ~$30 from S&W, so if you want an M&P with different features, swapping the sear assembly is a fairly easy and inexpensive proposition.