M&P 9 Pro

DMMikey

I am still looking for a range gun, have tossed around many options.
I noted recently on the S&W homepage that new models of M&P line are now shipping.
One of the new models in the M&P 9 Pro. It has a longer 5 inch barrel for a longer sight radius, and a pro shop tuned trigger of 4 to 5 lbs, which is, of course, a consistent DAO. What kind of accuracy can I expect?
Any comments? Reliability issues? Any extensive users of this model, or others in the M&P line who want to comment?

FlyfishTom

M&P Pro

The only review I have read was over at the M&P forum. The guys reported 2" groups at 25 yards. I shoot both a full size and a compact 9mm. Both gun run well and shoot anything. I have not shot either from a bench but they both keep the holes in a paper plate at 15 yards offhand. I think they are great guns. I use the compact for carry in hot muggy Florida and I compete with the full size in IDPA. I have a Pro on order.

HKFan9

The standard M&P 9's are great guns so i can only imagine one with a tuned trigger. A friend of mine owns and loves his MP9 and lets me shoot it quite a bit and it is one good gun.

Jermtheory

the M&P-9 is my new favorite polymer.

feels great,shoots great,its basically a much improved Glock imo.obviously the Glock has a longer proven track record,but other than that...

the only minor gripe i have with the M&P is the trigger reset(which is easily remedied).

i would also look for a recently made model,which seem to have alot of the kinks worked out.

neither should be an issue with what you're looking at though(being brand new with a pre-tuned trigger).

ive only got about 500-600 rounds through mine so far,but ive yet to have even a hiccup from her.

DMMikey

Thanks for the opinions. I guess I am looking for a range gun with that last little bit of accuracy. I doubt I will ever be good enough to take advantage of it, but if I ever do get good, I don't want to go out and get another gun. Would rather buy one and be done.
I handled a P7 in store, and found I could not keep the cocking lever back. (I have severe arthritis.)
I love the Hi Power, but from reading steve campbell's site, I gather this is not the ultimate accuracy platform.
I may end up hunting around some more for a 1911 in 9mm.
Or wait a while longer, and see what accuracy the pro really has.
Any other suggestions out there?

BanditSRT8

Not knocking the M&P at all, but if you are looking for a range gun... you probably want as accurate as possible right?

I would go with some proven platforms for now honestly.

HK P30 is astoundingly accurate, and probably the most ergonomically perfect pistol out there (and customizable form the 3 backstraps and 3 sets of side panels included). I am blown away every time I shoot mine.

EAA Witness Elite Match. Match grade barrel, hand fitted slide, and adjustable trigger... all for $500. A real bargain for a super shooter.

Sig X-Five. Pure perfection in a target 9mm, there's no other way to say it. Pricey as hell, but worth every penny.

Sure there are more, but these are about as perfect as you could ever want, and there's something there for every type of budget.

DMMikey

Yes. I am definitely looking for accuracy.
I was just researching the EAA Witness Match. Very interesting. Very similar to CZ75, which I am also considering. The slide is recessed on both of these guns, however, and that may be an issue with my poor hand strength.
I haven't checked out the P30 yet, will have to do that.
The Sig x five looks like an awesome gun. I also was very favorably impressed with the S&W 952, which I don't think gets anywhere near the attention or credit it deserves. A very sweet single action trigger. Unfortunately, both of these are pushing $2k. That's a pretty serious commitment.
Or wait a little.
It's been a frustrating experience so far, to be honest, and it shouldn't be that way.