M&p .45

WSM MAGNUM

I just picked up my new M&P .45. And I`m starting to think these guns are a piece of crap. I was getting accustomed to to the gun and was reading the manual on how to field strip the gun.
When I try to put the slide back on the frame the take down lever will not go all the way up into the closed position. I don`t know why it will not close all the way.
Talk about ease of disassembly/assembly my butt. :mad:
Also it was hard to get the frame tool out.

skoro

When you reassemble, make sure that the little "sear disconnect" lever in the magazine well is still in the down position. I had the same trouble as you the first couple of times I reassembled my .45. After going through the proceedure a few times, it'll become second nature. It really does go back together nicely once you get the knack. Just slides right into place and the take-down lever snaps back automatically.

Hope that helped.

WSM MAGNUM

I did everything the instructions say. The sear deactivation lever is down protruding into the magazine well. The take down lever will not close all the way up.
I think this plastic toy is going back to S&W. :mad:

skoro

When you replace the slide on the rail, make sure you pull it back and then release it. As it moves forward, that take-down lever should snap back into the "locked" position on its own. You shouldn't need to try to push it back manually. The instructions aren't very clear on this point.

If it doesn't snap back, it may need some work. But don't give up on the M&P .45 because it's very good handling and shooting pistol. And that frame tool? It's hard as heck to pull out at first, but it gradually loosens up a little. It needs to be somewhat snug, though.

Good luck!

WSM MAGNUM

Ahhh.... I see. You have to keep pulling back on the slide. Now it snaps close very easily. Yes, you are right the manual does not explain this very well. I had the impression that you have to push up on the take down lever to close it. I was thinking you do it like a 1911.
OK. Happy now. :) And Thanks.

ShootingNut

Frame Tool

Don't even bother messing around, removing the "frame tool" to lower the sear. That is a total waste of effort in my opinion. Any "tool" will do the job easily, my little finger nail works just fine.
M&P's are so easy to field strip and clean, only one reason I love my MP40.;)
SN

ShootingNut

Instruction Manuals

Ever wonder, where do they get the "Morons" to write these things. I would have thought, with firearms it would have been much more exact and detailed.
But NO, some are worse than a Swing Set made in China, with the big bag of nuts and bolts and the 8x11 instruction sheet.
All they would have to do, is ask for gun owners suggestions as to what they did not tell you, simple.
SN

sawrecker

my frame tool comes out real easy, comes out of my pocket, I use a ball point pen. the opening hooks that little lever easier than that metal rod holding the grip on. I do really like the fact that you don't have to dry fire it to take it down. the little lever doesn't bother me in the least.

WSM MAGNUM

shootingNut says;
Don't even bother messing around, removing the "frame tool" to lower the sear. That is a total waste of effort in my opinion. Any "tool" will do the job easily, my little finger nail works just fine.

You got that right. This was my first time field stripping it and I was doing it by what the manual says. From now on I`ll just use my finger to push the sear deactivator down.
The frame tool is getting easier to remove now that I "worked it" for a while.

Those manuals were probably written by the Chinese. :D