M&P 45 very short range report.

Took my new M&P45 out today and firee two mags, 20 rounds, through it. Next Tuesday I am going to actually take it out to a range and shoot 200 to 300 rounds through it. I know 20 rounds is not enough to come to any conclusions.

First fit and finish on this gun is great. I can't make up my mind yet on whether or not I like the medium grip or small grip yet. The action is smooth and it points very natural.

The trigger is on the heavy side, I have no way to measure it but I bet it is around the 6 lbs mark. I am use to shooting glocks so my only problem is getting use to the trigger. The first mag I shot was at about 15 yards and the first shot hit dead center where I was aiming but my next 9 were all over the place. Part of my problem was that I am use to the positive click sound/feel that my glocks make when their triggers resets. I know where to stop and start squeezing the trigger again. The M&P is very subtle and I don't notice the reset as easy and tend to squeeze from the full draw of the trigger and try to squeeze it as fast as I can on my glocks and end up jerking the shot.

On the second mag I moved into about 10 yards and tried to shoot nice and slow for a group, first six shots were in about a 3-4 inch circle and I noticed that even though I was slowing down I was still jerking the trigger slightly because of not noticing the reset. So on the last 4 shots I slowed way down a really, really road the trigger out until I felt it reset and then squeezed. The last 4 shots clover leafed into one hole about the size of a quarter.

I like this gun but I need to spend some quality trigger time with it. It is accurate but the dummy behind it needs to learn it out. Like I said I am going to put close to 300 rounds through it on Tuesday so I will have a better range report on it then. I have just order some Dies for it so I can reload and spend more time shooting it at a more affordable price.

What was I thinking not posting pics of the M&P 45 of course you see one you have seen them all. So here it is with its new best friend.

Don't worry empty mags in both guns and I store my AR's with the hammers fired/uncocked.

1000305cy0.jpg

1000307lr3.jpg

HappyGunner

I am sure you will get used to the new trigger I am also getting used to a new type trigger in my new Para LDA .45 it's a lot different then my other 1911s H&Ks and Glock.

I quickly picked up on it and really like it's feel even with the longer reset. I have around 350 rounds fired with not problems except the higher .45 Ammo. costs.:(

I like your pictures I also have a AR and the EOTech

Let us know how it gos later at the range.;)

weldonjr2001

What ammunition have you tried so far? The reason I ask is that mine fed 230 FMJ and JHP flawlessly from day 1, but had several fail-to-feed malfunctions with 2 different brands of 185 grain JHP.

I sent it back to S&W. They replaced the extractor, and made undescribed modifications to the barrel and slide. My guess is a bit of polishing. I think mine was part of the early rush by S&W to get them out the door.

Anyway, since its return, it has been 100% reliable with everything I've put through it.

I trust it completely now, and carry it often.