M&P 45 Compact on the way!

dean1818

I am awaiting delivery on my first M&P pistol a 45 compact
It is a LNIB with less than 50 rounds through it

I will CCW in a Crossbreed Supertuck

A few quick questions

1) After trying the trigger on several M&P 45s, I imagine that I will need to do the trigger job.
After reading the Burwell document, it looks straight forward for a DIY job. (I like to tinker)

For the folks that have done this mod themselves, how have you liked the results? I would like to
end up with a "non gritty" pull with 5 to 6 Lbs.

2) I will be reloading for the pistol using Missouri Bullet Hard cast either "soft ball" at 230 or their
target 200 grain. Is anyone using that for thier 45C? What is your powder type and load that you use?

I would like an accurate shooter, but would like a mid level recoil.

3) I will probably do some of my own testing with milk jugs filled with wet newspaper, but what JHP
do you recommend that cycles well and hits hard from this pistol?

I look forward to the responses

Deano

Mrgunsngear

I agree with not messing with the trigger; if you read any of Mossad Ayyob's articles you may reconsider it as well but it's your gun and your legal fees brother...

I have the same gun and LOVE it; I imagine you will as well. I have ran hundreds of Hornady TAP 230 grain +p and Ranger 230 +p ammo through it with 0 issues of any kind. Every M&P I own has been great with any ammo I've fed them.

MLeake

I've spoken with Mas directly on this issue.

He said "Nobody ever gets in trouble for having too smooth a trigger; having too light a trigger could be a problem."

In other words, keep it at a "duty" weight pull, and you should be fine. Personally, I stay above 4lbs.

There are plenty of people who disagree strongly, on either side. (Some feel perfectly fine with a 2lb target trigger, and others want more of an MA or NYPD trigger.)

carguychris

+1 MLeake.

My opinion? For a carry gun, run a few hundred rounds through it and dry-fire it a few hundred times before deciding. In my experience, M&P triggers improve with use... the smoothness, not necessarily the pull weight.

Also, the stock M&P pull weight- although obviously less than ideal for hardcore Bullseye shooting- is IMHO perfectly workable for an all-around carry and SD gun where pinpoint accuracy isn't a huge concern. For instance, it's a good deal lighter than the DA pull on many popular DA/SA pistols. IOW try adjusting the nut that pulls the trigger before adjusting the trigger itself. ;)

Last edited:

MLeake

carguychris, I installed a partial Apex DCAEK. We replaced the springs and plunger in the sear block, without messing with the trigger block. Ended up with a very smooth pull at a measured 5lbs even. Decent reset, too.

Mas didn't feel the 5lb trigger would be a problem. I brought my modified M&Ps to his MAG-40 class last month, and asked him when the subject came up in class.

I understand that had I installed the Apex trigger spring, it would have actually increased the pull by approximately 1lb; this, according to my friend Mike, who has done a lot of Apex installs for the guys in our IDPA club.

carguychris

^ That's very interesting. FWIW my experience has been with an M&P that had the Apex hard sear only, and IMHO its trigger pull- although very smooth- was lighter than I would prefer on a carry gun.

My DW's M&P9c, which is bone stock but has >1,000 rounds through it, has a better trigger than any other non-modified M&P I've tried. It's either improved with use or it came out on the good side of S&W production tolerances. :cool:

Coltman 77

carguychris:

+1 MLeake.

My opinion? For a carry gun, run a few hundred rounds through it and dry-fire it a few hundred times before deciding. In my experience, M&P triggers improve with use... the smoothness, not necessarily the pull weight.

Also, the stock M&P pull weight- although obviously less than ideal for hardcore Bullseye shooting- is IMHO perfectly workable for an all-around carry and SD gun where pinpoint accuracy isn't a huge concern. For instance, it's a good deal lighter than the DA pull on many popular DA/SA pistols. IOW try adjusting the nut that pulls the trigger before adjusting the trigger itself.

Very well put. :)

The trigger on my M&P 9 smoothed up enormously after I put 500 rds. and even more after 1,000 rds. through it. :)

Now at 3,000 rds. I wouldn't change a thing.

I also believe the pull weight improved. Shoot the heck out of it OP before you do any modifications.

I know the current thinking with M&P's is to rush out and immediately get the Apex job but shoot your sidearm first. Then decide what you want to do.

Good luck.

GONIF

My M&P 45c had a horrible trigger .I dry fired it over 500 times and it was still horrible. After I installed the Apex DECAK it is lite,smooth and has a good reset .Best money I ever spent on a upgrade for a pistol . I can now double and tripple tap very fast ( 3 to 4 seconds )and keep it under 4 inchs at 21 feet . :D Not bad for a cheap pistol in the hands of a 60 year old man .;) FYI I paid $423.00 last year at Jetguns.com . They have gone up since then ,I would buy another if I could get that price again .:D

dean1818

Much of what I will do is based on how it feels when I get it.

If the trigger is 8-10 lbs I will do the partial DIY "Burwell"

If the trigger is around 6 lbs, I will probably just do a polish job

There are several options listed If its heavy and gritty, (Like
what I have seen)

I will round down the sear as per the instructions to hit overtravel

I will clean up the plunger

I will polish the contact points in the trigger bar

At this point, depending on the feel of the trigger, I may leave it, if it is
too light, I will add the Apex springs to the trigger, which I bought this afternoon. which brings up the pull an additional 1.5 Lbs.

My hope is to be at 5 to 5.5 lbs pull. (Which should please any lawyer)

If I screw it up somehow.... I will buy all of the Apex parts and replace

With the great videos from Apex and the DIY document, doing some past gun work, AND... hearing about people doing it themselves with great results, makes me want to get into it

Last edited:

Naterstein

I'd say, buy some Snap Caps and dry fire it at home about 1000 times, then go to the range and fire about 250 rounds.... see how you like the trigger then.

I don't think my M&P9 trigger is gritty at all and I dont think I need a trigger job.

dean1818

One thing I have noticed is the "out of the box" M&P9s have a much lighter pull than the M&P45s

Some of the M&P 9s that I have shot and fondled have a light enough trigger, but were very gritty. Some of them had a too heavy a trigger
as well.

The M&P45s that I have dry fired have always had a 9-10lb gritty trigger

Thats WAY too much for me. Just give me 5 lbs or a little more

Theres safe..... then there safe....

What the normal break in would give me, or so I have heard, is a less gritty trigger. What it doesnt fix is that heavy trigger pull, the light reset, and overtravel.

It will be a nice project.