M&p® 380 shield™ ez™

John D

Am looking for a pistol for my wife and came across this new issue from S&W. Super easy to rack the slide and good sights; the 380 should have manageable recoil. I need to bring her in to handle it.

Anyone tried this gun? Thoughts?

Pops1085

It’s brand new, so I doubt many have a TON of experience, but your situation is literally the whole point of the gun haha so I’d go for it. S&W has a great reputation for putting out quality pieces.

Also, I think the grip safety was a good fit for this one as it is geared towards people who will enjoy that extra piece of mind that comes with it being there.

gc70

Check the dedicated Smith & Wesson forums. Plenty of new owners are beginning to report on the Shield EZ.

kmw1954

Going to wait a bit but I think one will make it's way into my wife's range bag for her B-day in July.

youngridge

Handled it at my LGS. Was nice, with a frame that large I prefer the 9mm, but for a person with bad wrists it would be a blessing. Has the grip safety kind of like Springfields as well as a notch on the mag that you pull down for easier loading, I thought that was cool. Seemed like a decent gun, just not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carguychris

^^^ +1; as discussed in previous threads on the EZ, it's important to remember that not only is it larger than the LCP/RM380/P3-AT pocket guns, but but it's ALSO slightly larger than the Shield 9/40, Shield 45, and the G42.

It's the same size class as the Walther PK380, Beretta 85FS, RIA Baby Rock, and Browning 1911-380. Call it a welterweight. :)

DanPop

I agree that a semi that large should be in 9mm. Hell the Shield is 9mm and smaller. And a manual safety AND grip safety? How is that ez?

adamBomb

I agree that a semi that large should be in 9mm. Hell the Shield is 9mm and smaller. And a manual safety AND grip safety? How is that ez?

Less recoil. Its designed to be an easy shooter. Simple as that.

The manual safety is optional; I would assume its designed for those purse/bag carrying that want extra reassurance and to get by laws in various states.

Overall its designed for a specific audience and seems to do that quite well.

Beagle333

I bought my mom a Glock 22, but she can't rack the slide. (Arthritic thumbs, at 72) But this looks like the ticket for her! Heck, I might enjoy it too!

Siggy-06

The Springfield XDE comes in 9mm, has an easier to rack slide, and doesnt have a grip safety. Hopefully someone can compare them side by side.

The Springfield XDE comes in 9mm, has an easier to rack slide, and doesnt have a grip safety. Hopefully someone can compare them side by side.

The Springfield XDE is a traditional double action pistol with a heavy trigger pull on the first shot, and then a lighter pull for follow up shots. Some people like this style of action, but I am not a fan, especially for beginners.

I have spent quite a bit of time working with beginning shooters, and the two different trigger pulls usually causes difficulties. It is true that these issues can be resolved with training. But since training time is limited, I would rather have people spend that time on other skills. Overall, I recommend pistols that have a consistent trigger pull that is not too light.

I think the new Shield EZ may fill an important niche for people with hand issues, and I am looking forward to testing one out.

carguychris

moosemike said:
You're missing the point. [The 9mm "mini"] market is saturated. S&W is going after an untapped market with this one.
Hearty +1. :)

As discussed in this TFL thread, IMHO the Shield EZ's only direct competition is the Walther PK380, a pistol I dislike due to its iffy build quality, personally observed unreliability, proprietary-tool takedown, lack of an external slide stop, and unconventional manual of arms; the PK380 hammer will drop against the engaged safety, which can create uncertainly at the worst possible moment as to why the pistol went "click" rather than BANG! :(

The Shield EZ promises to have really gentle felt recoil, easy slide operation, and a light trigger like the PK380, which will appeal to shooters who have physical limitations, or who simply have trouble handling 9mm subcompact recoil.

Same goes with the safety features, particularly for the version with the redundant thumb safety; while I understand the viewpoint that "my manual safety is between my ears," one must recognize that a market for extra safeties exists, and S&W is in business to sell guns. :D

Slimjim9

Given the target audience, I'm surprised (disappointed? :eek: ) it isn't launching with different fashion choices. Where's the rainbow slide? Muddy girl camo? Robins egg blue grip? :confused: :p

kmw1954

Where's the rainbow slide? Muddy girl camo? Robins egg blue grip?

Don't believe the whole target audience is of the female persuasion.
Lots of us old timers with half crippled hands could use one too!

Slimjim9

Yep, I'm getting to where I could use some lighter options too - but doesn't mean I don't want a rainbow slide. :p