M-16 questions

Sparks2112

I'm considering my first NFA purchase, and I have a couple of questions as far as what I'm getting into etc...

I'm thinking what I'd like to do is get a FA M-16 lower, the lower is what gets registered and once I have it I can put whatever upper I'd like on it (including SBR uppers) and be fine correct?

What's the going rate on a bare bones FA lower? I'd prefer it to be FA and not a 3 round burst.

What parts in the lower can I replace and still be within the law? If I leave the sear / fire control group alone can I change whatever else I'd like?

If I form a trust I don't have to have my CLEO's signature correct? Just the background check/finger print portion?

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

jmorris

I'm thinking what I'd like to do is get a FA M-16 lower, the lower is what gets registered and once I have it I can put whatever upper I'd like on it (including SBR uppers) and be fine correct?

If you get a receiver that’s registered as a machine gun you can change the uppers to anything you want. I doubt you’ll find any real bargains on just a lower as uppers are the cheap part of the $13,000+ rifle.

What's the going rate on a bare bones FA lower? I'd prefer it to be FA and not a 3 round burst.

“Cheap” would be a lighting link ($7500 +-) then a DIAS but then your receiver is not the registered part anymore but you can move the link between several semi auto rifles turning them into full autos but SBR’s would cost extra.

If I form a trust I don't have to have my CLEO's signature correct? Just the background check/finger print portion?

no finger prints either

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

How much it's going to cost to feed a rifle caliber FA

Sparks2112

If you get a receiver that’s registered as a machine gun you can change the uppers to anything you want. I doubt you’ll find any real bargains on just a lower as uppers are the cheap part of the $13,000+ rifle.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, just trying to save where I can. :)

“Cheap” would be a lighting link ($7500 +-) then a DIAS but then your receiver is not the registered part anymore but you can move the link between several semi auto rifles turning them into full autos but SBR’s would cost extra.

At that point it is only a FA weapon, or would the selector still work?

no finger prints either

Ah, not a big deal either way, but less hassle is nice.

How much it's going to cost to feed a rifle caliber FA

I don't know how often I'll shoot it in all honesty. Between my father and I we have quite a number of 5.56 around both factory and reloads (10,000+ easy).

If I follow through though with this though I'm wanting to put an LWRC M6 6.8SPC upper on it with a 10.5-12.7" barrel. (I need to look into ballistics a bit more). I don't have any 6.8 but I figure if him and I were to buy 1,000-3,000 factory rounds reloading wouldn't be that bad after we had the brass. Also, it's not like we don't have a shortage of 5.56 uppers in the meantime.

Joat

What parts in the lower can I replace and still be within the law? If I leave the sear / fire control group alone can I change whatever else I'd like?

Everything but the serial number:D

Joat