M-1 Garand Question

Bucksnort1

Gents and Ladies,

While watching a recorded documentary on the American Heroes Channel about the Marines in Korea at the Chosin Reservoir, I noticed a Marine firing his M-1 which has this ring like device on the left side of the receiver. It doesn't look like a ring for attaching a sling because that was done under the stock. The poor quality is because this was on my television.

Any ideas on this?

Attachments

• M-1.jpg
    M-1.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 101

HiBC

I doubt I have looked at one since the 1980's, so my remembered image is not good,

But that might be a base for a rifle grenade sight.

44 AMP

Staff
It is the mount for the grenade sight base. There was a similar one for the M14 rifle as well. If I recall correctly the M14 one had a solid center and two holes for alignment pins.

since the rifles were not grenade only the grenade sight was frequently detached when not in use, and seldom put back on during combat, most often just estimations were used, learning the angle of the rifle for the desired "lob" only took a few shots for most people.

The squad's designated grenadier usually left theirs on, but most of the rest of the riflemen didn't. the sight was relatively large (it needed to be, to get the high angle for grenade firing), stuck out the side (what seemed to be a lot) and was relatively fragile.

being as it has no civilian use, the sights are uncommon on the surplus market and I think when the rifles were reworked (for civilian sale or military aid) the bases were often removed, but I'm not positive about that.

Shadow9mm

Just found this today and I remembered this post. Its a video from TFB TV on the Springfield M1a tanker. They show some pics of historical Garands. Look at about the 0:52 to 1:01 mark. Based on the commentary and a bit of googling it appears to me an M1E5 Garand, some sort of carbine, paratrooper, tanker model. Your items seems to be mounted in a different place, but it sees a lot more common on this model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqPC2ohHEsA

I also found this photo of what appears to be an old edition of american rifleman which lists it as a "M15 grenade sight mounting plate"

https://www.outdoorlife.com/uploads/2023/07/18/later-M1-Garand-variants-scaled.jpeg

HiBC does get the cookie

Last edited:

gwpercle

I doubt I have looked at one since the 1980's, so my remembered image is not good,

But that might be a base for a rifle grenade sight.
My first thought was it had something to do with a grenade ...
It isn't a pin ring ... but what is that ... I know I've seen it ...

BINGO ... HiBC gets the chicken dinner ... sight base - grenade launcher !

Just goes to show ... you get enough old guys together and you can get the answer to just about any firearms related question ...
I'm still clueless when it comes to women though .
Gary

Another vote for grenade launcher. Sarco used to sell them and the muzzle attachment. I should have bought one to fill out the collection of M-1 Garand stuff when they were cheap.

bamaranger

old guy

I'm no spring chicken, but I had never seen that accessory for the M1 rifle.

Stuff you learn here .........well done all.

HiBC

The city I live in used to have a true,old school surplus store.
It smelled like a surplus store.
You'd find bins of about anything there. GI bore cleaner, mosquito repellent,web gear,mostly WW2 vintage,

They had a bin of the grenade sights, complete with the original pouch.
I didn't figure out a real good use for them.

jetinteriorguy

The city I live in used to have a true,old school surplus store.
It smelled like a surplus store.
You'd find bins of about anything there. GI bore cleaner, mosquito repellent,web gear,mostly WW2 vintage,

They had a bin of the grenade sights, complete with the original pouch.
I didn't figure out a real good use for them.
Man I really miss those old school army surplus stores. Loved those places.