m-1 carbine purchase

seadog

A local dealer just got in a Rockola M-1 carbine. The metal is in good shape, but the wood is pretty rough and looks like it had some foreign writing on it. He wants $600 for it. I have no idea what these are going for now, but it seems pretty steep. The numbers look like they match from what I can tell. I have little expertise in this area. Any advice would be appreciated.

go here young man

try here http://www.battlerifles.com/forums/index.php these guys know a bunch about carbines and can tell you what to look for......The only number on these guns is the serial # on the receiver but every part has letters or a letter stamped on it whick can tell you who made the part.....normally the import guns have an importer stamped on the side of the barrel close to the muzzle.....some people talk the imports down but the scarcity of carbines in general is bringing the values of all of them up.....Dick

JNewell

If you're looking for a shooter, a Rock-ola is about the worst possible purchase -- the reason is that collectors favor them, and they fetch a stiff premium. You should be able to save $100-150 by buying a more common carbine, such as an Inland.